Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(74 Posts)
12Michael Wed 07-Oct-20 06:17:47

Good Morning Everyone,
Its but looking dry outside this morning in Brackley .
Today , quiet easy day do some more housework , and settle down and watch TV and the Giro later .
Being a fan of real ale I feed into to an email related group ,and have read a recent piece in relation to the 10pm shutdowns this couple were in a Wetherspoons at 915pm and the pub was deserted.
Take Care ,
Mick

glammagran Wed 07-Oct-20 20:16:08

Sark, Re: Ellenvannin’s comment the only time I have ever had migraines was between the ages of 45-50. They were horrendous but definitely hormone related. They disappeared almost immediately following menopause. I was so glad when it was all finished.

dragonfly46 Wed 07-Oct-20 14:31:02

I usually wear contacts but when I wear glasses Ifind my bifocals easier than varifocals.

annsixty Wed 07-Oct-20 14:28:52

Actually I don’t think it is, even more confused now.

annsixty Wed 07-Oct-20 14:23:24

Wrong thread, sorry blush

annsixty Wed 07-Oct-20 14:22:28

I have had varifocals for many years and didn’t have any problems at all, they just suited me from the word go,
My H however could not get on with them at all and went back to bifocals ,which I imagine, are harder.

Georgesgran Wed 07-Oct-20 14:18:57

?Grandmafrench.

Jaxjacky Wed 07-Oct-20 14:10:30

Gingster another vote for varifocals, I started wearing them when I was about 56, it took a few days for my brain to ‘rewire’ I had a very good optician who watched me go up and down a step a few times. I would never change them, I have sunglasses too; the advice to move your head is good.

Sark Wed 07-Oct-20 13:27:16

EllanVannin thank you..I am going to see DD later and will definitely discuss what you said.
Thanks again (and everyone) much appreciated

Taichinan Wed 07-Oct-20 13:03:45

Good morning from a sunny (yay!!!) Angus. The garden room, which has the wonderful views and where I spend all my time, is now devoid of sunshine until next March - it's north facing. So here I am in the very sunny front sun room which has only a view of part of the garden. Sometimes when I write about my house I think I make it sound rather grand, but actually it's an old blacksmith's but 'n ben, with add-ons! Since the mid 1950s someone joined up the workshops to the house and formed a bedroom wing; someone else did an attic conversion and put a master suite above the lounge; someone added a wee extension at the back for the kitchen, downstairs loo and shower room; someone put the front sun porch on; someone added more land, and then someone else came along and had the whole garden landscaped! And finally, I added the garden room. Quite a saga, and I wish the blacksmiths of old could come back and see it now!!

Apart from being up and dressed and fed, I have done absolutely nothing so far this morning. But does that really matter, I ask myself? I'll get round to it - I should get a medal for round toiting!!

While I've been on here I've also been exchanging texts with a fellow tai chi instructor from Michigan. She and her hubby are actually international instructors within our organisation and run a croft/small holding - what we might term a sizeable farm! So lovely to hear from them and it just feels like they're next door!

I have also been on WhatsApp with my daughter who is down in deepest Englandshire with her two DDs staying with New Man. Again, distance dissolves. Nicola is announcing new measures for Scotand this afternoon so I hope they are allowed to travel home ?
I have a long list of comments for a load of today's posters, but really you've heard enough from me. Just one thought, I think 'norty step' is a euphemism for those who are out of touch at the moment?

Take care everyone, and stay safe and keeeeep smiling! ☺️??

Mapleleaf Wed 07-Oct-20 11:38:50

A late good morning to you all.

I started reading the posts, but thought I'd better post as there are so many to read it will probably take me into the afternoon to read them all, so apologies if I've missed anybody's news.

It's rather breezy, with sunny intervals today. Not too cold, but I did have to click the heating on to warm the house when I got up - I'm getting there with the repairs but still some way to go. The heating engineer came yesterday & managed to get the boiler on so at least I can have heat and hot water, but I have to do it manually at the moment until the new thermostat is fitted (hopefully later today), so it's a bit of a faff, but doable. The shower needs replacing, I need a new battery for the alarm and the cooker hood is still to be looked at. I'm impressed with the service so far, but hope it's not long before all is straight again.
I sincerely hope there isn't another power surge any time soon. Seems our house has been the worst affected in our little street.
Well I hope you can all have a good day. Keep safe and kind thoughts to all who are struggling. ?

Ashcombe Wed 07-Oct-20 11:34:34

Thank you to Beauregard, EllanVannin and lovebeigecardigans1955 for your complimentary comments about my little corner of the world! You may imagine how much I’m missing local walks during my post trip quarantine!

I should also acknowledge LauraNorder's kind post about my “way with words”. (My late Irish father could talk the proverbial hind leg off a donkey!!) She goes to some lengths to respond to individuals which shows patience and thoughtfulness. Like her, I find that contributors to this forum are good at expressing themselves which helps to maintain the interest, I feel sure. And I certainly find a sympathetic and supportive atmosphere amongst the regular “Good Morning” gang!

Long may that continue!

Annapops Wed 07-Oct-20 11:27:11

A late good morning from a very sunny County Durham.

It's my major housework day today and being able to fling the windows open to let in some fresh air has given me more of a drive to whizz round.

Yesterday we had GD 2 with us for the day followed by GS 3 and 4 after school. We always plan a trip out over the two days we care for her. Last week she amazed us on the way up to the summit of Roseberry Topping. Quite a height for a 3 year old. She scrambled up the steep rocky slope like a mountain goat.

Yesterday we took a return trip to a place nearby which had become our sanctuary during lockdown. It's an old seminary with the most beautiful gardens. Recently stained glass windows have been hung from the trees which look amazing when the sun shines through. The colourful Autumn leaves on the trees add to the magic of them too. In an area where outdoor games were once held there is an arch which now has a stained glass door over it. GD loved looking at her reflection and seeing the rainbow of colour she had become. Truly magical.

I hope there is some sunshine for each and everyone of you in some form or other today. Take care.

Grandmafrench Wed 07-Oct-20 11:19:14

Good Morning everyone! Late late late due to lots of 'phone calls and a broken glass. Now......I am calm.
Like the weather here in the S of France, which is very calm, also warm and sunny and encouraging lots of outside activity.

Enjoy your Kitchen MissChateline - always worth the nightmare of having it done. Were you both out clearing shelves then, Mary and Ellan ? Have a lovely lunch, Mary and for Cinder Ellan - enjoy a cupboard rummage and a grand clear out.

It's so hard Sar. Think that we've probably all reached the stage when we think enough is enough - but there's more and no promises as to when we'll be free of all of this. We need to each find a grand distraction to help keep us going. What do you think?

Sark your DD may hopefully have started to find some answers. Do hope she feels better soon and the "trigger" is found.

Mellow stay strong - in the face of yet another of life's buggerations. As far as pongs are concerned, I recall complaints from our family on the Sussex coast when the air was filled with an awful smell of gas or rotten eggs for days. Culprit? Winds from France were carrying across the delightful perfume from an industrial complex where they'd had an escape of the special ingredient they have to put into "natural" gas, so that there is some recognisable (although apparently harmless) smell. Who knew, eh? grin

Gingster how sensible to have one pair of glasses. However, Varifocals were deemed a bad idea by my Ophthalmic person. He said that they do take some getting used to but can be easily managed if you have had them since middle age. Once you are older they become much more of a challenge and can lead to falls, worries on steps and driving etc., So, not wishing to rain on your parade, but if you find it initially weird, be careful. And if you don't succeed, it seems you will be in good company. My DH had some years ago. I won't have them now.

Georgesgran mixed news indeed, but finally some action. That's possibly the most helpful medical conversation you've had in a long time. Fingers all crossed for Mr G. ( Don't neglect yourself, either. Hope all goes well at the Doc's)

Urms and family - take care. Rest and don't worry.

Cherry, you're a little Weeble. Remember them? Children's toy on a round ball for a base, so that whatever you did to knock them down, they bounced straight back up again? ("Weebles Wobble but they don't fall down"). That's you - you just keep on going. Please feel stronger today, big hugs and smiles and virtual bunches of scented flowers are being sent your way.

We're putting up shelving (well, I supervise, move things, hand things and tidy up). After lunch a beach walk. Wonderful long Zoom conversation yesterday evening with family in England, sharing plans and news and all hoping life will get better, and SOON.

Have a decent day people, with relief from worry and some smiles. Above all, please keep safe.

Hugs from French France flowers

Borrheid55 Wed 07-Oct-20 11:16:47

Greetings from Kent, blue skies and a breeze this morning! MellowYellow me too! Found cysts in July, now awaiting an MRI. As I had a hysterectomy aged 30, it was a surprise! Hope all is ok with you. I don’t have any symptoms except a niggly twinge periodically (!) .
Marydoll have you ever been to Piersland in Troon? I worked there as a summer job 70-72 when I was a teenager. Had my 50th bday bash there too. The food is wonderful and the surroundings are beautiful. Hope to hear about your trip later.
Have a good day everyone!

cornergran Wed 07-Oct-20 11:12:59

Sorry to hear about your grandson urms, hope your family is out the other side very soon. I won’t say try not to worry because of course you are. A hug for you all.

LauraNorder Wed 07-Oct-20 11:08:20

Good morning Mick and all. Dry and still here in Anglesey after a very windy night, scaffold boards banging and plastic covering flapping kept us awake until the early hours.
Gingster another who didn’t like my varifocals at the beginning but now wouldn’t have anything else.
Welcome to MissChatelaine, hoping for some photos of the finished kitchen. We finished ours three years ago and I still lovingly caress the worktops.
*Marydoll• I really do enjoy your storytelling style, a wonderful talent. You too Ashcombe, a way with words.
In fact most of you lovely Grans are great communicators, especially when it comes to caring for other members.
Some of you refer to Gillybob as our Gilly which is so lovely and I’m sure she feels that warm and sincere concern.
Sorry to here that Urm’S little Covid warrior is suffering and hope they’ll all
feel better soon.
The photo of your granddaughter’s wedding Auntieflo the other morning was gorgeous, glad you enjoyed the day albeit from the sofa.
Sark good advice from EllanV, definitely worth mentioning to GP, I suffered horrendous headaches throughout menopause.
No idea who’s on the naughty step or what’s happened but hope calm will resume ASAP.
Wishing all posters, absent friends and others a better day than yesterday.

Stilllearning Wed 07-Oct-20 11:03:06

A late good morning from S Lanarkshire. I had a horrible night's sleep, or lack thereof to be accurate, had not closed an eye by 5 am, most unexpected, hope it was a one off.
Sorry to read that your wee grandson is having symptoms Urmstongran, I hope they are brief and he is well again soon.
Welcome MissChateline
Marydoll (and Gingster), I made my first attempt at using varifocals many years ago while I was still working. I was having a meeting with a visiting psychologist and almost missed the coffee table when putting my cup down. 'Oh sorry', said I, 'it's these new varifocal lenses', except, with most awful Freudian slip I mispronounced foc!!
I couldn't believe what I'd done but just carried on regardless. To this day I break out in a sweat when it comes to mind.
Wishing a good day to all.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 07-Oct-20 11:02:13

Good Morning all from sunny Harrogate! The world is much brighter today - my Covid test came back negative, so some sort of life can again begin. Like you, Marydoll, I am wary of shopping but since today is Knaresborough Market (where normally most of Harrogate flocks to, I might toddle off to Aldi!

Wishing everyone good health

mrswoo Wed 07-Oct-20 10:43:31

Good morning from a sunny Newcastle.

gingster I've worn varifocals for about 10 years and love them although I was reluctant to have them initially. However, I worked for S***savers and my peering over the top of my reading glasses to look into the distance was not quite the image they were after! It may take you a day to two to adjust to them but if you find you are struggling go back to the opticians - they may need a slight adjustment. My advice to anyone getting varis is to move your head - not you eyes. If you point your nose at what you want to look at then you will be looking through the right prescription area. Hope that helps a bit. Regarding glasses and masks I can offer no advice at all. It's an absolute nuisance isn't it!

I hope everyone has the best possible day and my thoughts are with all those with health and other worries.flowers

Panda25 Wed 07-Oct-20 10:43:06

Good morning from a very sunny south of Scotland. Beautiful day. Heading for walk on a nearby beach, then a bit of letter writing

EllanVannin Wed 07-Oct-20 10:36:21

Urmston, I'm so sorry to hear of the family's illnesses and wish them all a speedy recovery. It's everyone's dread I think right now. x

CherryCezzy Wed 07-Oct-20 10:32:52

Good morning everyone from blue skies in the Gower.

My WP has taken our car to the garage this morning to have a new battery and or the connection fixed. The very same garage replaced the battery earlier this year but we've had persistent problems so today they are sorting it free of charge.

I have no idea why three gns are on the north step as I haven't been reading for a couple of days, having had dratted seizures again ?, but I hope they will not be sat there for long.

Welcome MissChataline ?. Enjoy your new kitchen, it'll be even better when it's finished ☺️. We've had a lot of hiccups preventing our planned kitchen from being done, one obviously being this virus but I'm hopeful that once my area is out of its current lockdown it can go ahead.

Not much planned for today except my group quiz but I'm having my haircut tomorrow.

Thanks for your lovely well wishes Susan, it means a lot x

Urmstongran sorry to hear that your DGS most likely has the virus. Sending healing vibes his way and for mummy and daddy.

? for you both Sar and Georgesgran.

Stay safe and be kind to yourselves everyone ❤️

Elizabeth1 Wed 07-Oct-20 10:25:58

Good morning everyone from a very sunny day here in the east of Fife. I’m a very tired lady this morning due to having several pit stops throughout the night I keep hurting the leg which was injured when I had my recent fall. What’s a girl meant to do use it or lose it. confused there’s me on line shopping for night wear. Matalan has some really nice nighties so I purchased 2. (Cheap at half the price) If theyre anything like my last one they’ll be keepers. Sorry news this morning my dds wee cat is off to the vets today I think it may be her last walk poor wee thing. They lost their dog this year too everyone wasin such a state of mourning.it’s a real trial to explain to the young gdswhere their animals have gone after 12 years of great family life. What do you tell youngsters about the demise of their well loved animals ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 07-Oct-20 10:25:15

Morning all from a fairly bright South Notts. Nothing planned today so will be pottering about which I rather like.

I have lovely memories of the miniature model village at Babbacombe Ashcombe I like that sort of thing.

Hope all is well for everyone especially those with illness or worries.

EllanVannin Wed 07-Oct-20 10:17:21

Sark, those sort of headaches sometimes appear with the menopause and are hormonal at that stage. Because the pain is in " the attic ", it could well be something connected with the " basement ", i.e. a change going on with the womb/ovaries.
I don't know why some GP's nearly always try and treat the affected area when the cause can be an entirely different part of the body.

Maybe if your DD mentions Dixarit ( Clonidine ) when she next visits the GP or even if she asks to give it a try and see what happens. She can't possibly function properly when she has continuous migraines. No harm in asking is there ?