Gransnet forums

Chat

Guitar

(21 Posts)
Caleo Fri 26-Nov-21 12:03:29

I was reared on the keyboard but my sons were left to their own devices musically. They are self taught guitar players. The latter is a much more difficult instrument . String length and thickness same as for the piano is the principle that underlies pitch and octave.

The difficulty with a guitar compared with piano keyboard is the latter has octaves all laid out to hand, whereas with a guitar you have to know how to select your octave.

JackyB Fri 26-Nov-21 09:24:34

Well, Grannyrebel has had a year to practise. I wonder how she's getting on.

huntingbinoculars Fri 26-Nov-21 04:16:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Maywalk Wed 03-Nov-21 17:47:08

It used to be the spoons, mouth organ, jaws/jews harp and washboards in my young days. LOL

My son used to be lead guitar player in his group and has had to admit its not done much for his hand over the years.
He is 71 now.

Greyduster Mon 01-Nov-21 12:13:40

To borrow some lines from Flanders and Swann, appropriately altered:
“I once had a whim and I had to obey it
To buy a Guitar in a second-hand shop……”. I did just that in my early twenties and set about learning to play it. I am a competent pianist and can span more than an octave, but I couldn’t manage some of the chords on the guitar. It sounded nothing but awful so I gave up, but years later, one of my stepgrandsons had a ukulele and he taught me to strum it. Wonderful instrument! Very user friendly. I’d think seriously about that instead of a guitar.

crazyH Fri 29-Oct-21 17:32:56

Grannyrebel, you did make me chuckle when you said you were ‘tone deaf’ and that you were asked to ‘mime’…….there’s not much hope for you with the guitar then, is there? ?Just joking - I’m in that sort of mood today ……

MissAdventure Fri 29-Oct-21 17:27:21

Reported.

Betterbunny Fri 29-Oct-21 17:25:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Franco Thu 05-Aug-21 19:05:09

Before buying a particular guitar hold it at eye level with the head ( where the tuning pegs are ) furthest away from you to check the neck of the instrument isn't warped.

Also, make sure the strings don't sit too high above the fretboard as this would make it more difficult to play.

If it's a second hand guitar, check the frets don't have signs of wear which would result in it playing out of tune.

I taught myself from books aged 14 & played electric guitar in a local pop group in the late 1950's.

michaljhon Tue 03-Aug-21 18:30:40

Learning a guitar is good hobby. Before learning you have to buy a guitar so that you can learn easily. I will suggest you to watch videos on YouTube if you want to learn quickly.

Grandma70s Sat 10-Oct-20 19:45:14

My granddaughter is just eight. She taught herself to play the ukulele from an app, and she’s pretty good. She is now having proper guitar lessons, but gave up the flute - too like hard work! I’d much rather she learnt the flute, because she could play it in an orchestra, which is good social life.

SueSocks Sat 10-Oct-20 19:35:10

Another vote for ukulele! I had guitar lessons when I was still working, didn’t have time to do much practice, so didn’t make much progress.
I started ukulele when I retired, I love it. Much easier than guitar. There are loads of groups around, most are very welcoming & are great fun. They usually have a mix of abilities regarding playing and singing. I used to go to 3 groups before Covid, all played a variety of songs from “Johnny B Good” to Punk!
I really miss the Ukulele groups, haven’t been allowed to meet since the start of the pandemic.
There are different sizes of ukulele - best to go to a music shop to find the size that best suits you. I use an electronic tuner - so easy. Also lots of tuition videos on YouTube. Good luck!

MiniMoon Fri 09-Oct-20 20:51:04

I've never played the guitar, but I took violin lessons as a teenager at school.
I haven't played an instrument for years, but when my DD asked me what she could buy me for Christmas, I asked her for a kalimba.
I saw a YouTube video of a young lady playing one and thought it would be fun to give it a go.

Good luck with the guitar or ukulele whichever you decide upon.
youtu.be/kd7KC3PaEaA

grannyrebel7 Fri 09-Oct-20 19:20:23

Thanks everyone- yes a Ukelele sounds easier. Might get one.

silverlining48 Fri 09-Oct-20 13:04:15

I really like the ukulele, makes me smile and yes it must be easier because my gd had one from school when she was about 5.

mary51 Fri 09-Oct-20 12:06:25

I picked up an old guitar lying round the house last summer and with the aid of a simple book and Guitar for Dummies from the library am still trying to teach myself.

I can play Old Macdonald very slowly looking at the book but can hardly remember the chords from one day to the next.

I find tuning quite difficult as I think I must be tone deaf.
It looks so easy when you see all those on TV thrashing out their chords but I find it very hard!

The other day I played some Dory Previn on Youtube and
fancied myself strumming some chords along to it and singing along.

Good luck Granny Rebel

stormy54 Fri 09-Oct-20 11:57:41

Hendrix was left handed, Paul McCartney lots of them. Just don't buy a very cheap "toy" one.

stormy54 Fri 09-Oct-20 11:52:00

Try a ukulele, only four strings to master, it' not all George Formby, songs range from Johnny Cash to Guns and Roses,m plenty of variety, lots of on line tutorials and lessons, U3A have groups and unlike some guitar groups uke groups don't take themselves too seriously.

silverlining48 Fri 09-Oct-20 11:38:54

Many years ago I had guitar lessons and it was only then that I realised 'strumming a tune' wasn't as easy as it looked.
Dont let being left handed put you off, there are quite a few famous left handed guitarists. Good luck. Enjoy. wink

Septimia Fri 09-Oct-20 09:57:28

You should be able to get a smaller sized instrument and one that is strung for left-handed people, although, since you have to use both hands you might not find a standard one too difficult to use.

It would be worth visiting a reputable shop and trying one or two guitars.

I'm far from having perfect pitch and find it hard to tune my guitar to another instrument. So I suggest you buy a guitar tuner or download an app to help you - it certainly makes a difference for me.

And just enjoy giving it a go - you don't have to be professional standard to have fun.

grannyrebel7 Fri 09-Oct-20 09:47:41

I haven't done anything worthwhile during lockdown, so now I'm thinking I should. I'm thinking of learning to play the guitar. However, I have a few problems a) I'm tone deaf and was told to mime when I was in the school choir! b) I'm left handed and my hands are quite small. Any of you musicians out there think it's possible for someone like me to achieve this. I love music and have always fancied strumming away to country music songs a la Dolly Parton. Don't actually have her sized boobs either!