Gransnet forums

Chat

What are your plans for Christmas?

(157 Posts)
Kandinsky Sun 11-Oct-20 17:31:46

It’s going to be very strange this year isn’t it.
I normally have all the children ( & their partners) over, but that won’t be happening now as there’s about 12 of us!
I love Christmas, but actually dreading this one.
How about you?

Lucca Wed 14-Oct-20 16:31:11

B9exchange

Trying to get members of the family to commit themselves before the beginning of December is hopeless with my lot, and this year is no different. Will probably have one lot to stay and others visiting on separate days. Does a heavily pregnant mum count as one or two, what happens if the baby arrives in the middle??? ??

Good for them

Maggiemaybe Wed 14-Oct-20 10:52:49

This might resonate with some of us.

B9exchange Wed 14-Oct-20 10:23:45

Trying to get members of the family to commit themselves before the beginning of December is hopeless with my lot, and this year is no different. Will probably have one lot to stay and others visiting on separate days. Does a heavily pregnant mum count as one or two, what happens if the baby arrives in the middle??? ??

lemongrove Wed 14-Oct-20 09:53:57

GagaJo

If I ge the to see my grandson I'll be happy. But I have a nasty feeling I'm going to be stuck, overseas, at work.

That would be very bad luck if it happened that way Gaga
And very sad for both you and your DGS.
Hopefully you will be able to be with him here in the UK and have an enjoyable time.?

lemongrove Wed 14-Oct-20 09:41:54

GrannyGravy13

suziewoozie I booked my flu jab as soon as I received the email from Boots.

I do think having five children and a business that I have always had to be organised otherwise it would have been a continuous game of catch up.

GG13 I take my trendy feathered hat off to you!?

M0nica Wed 14-Oct-20 09:12:50

Chewbacca We are 'fortunate' DS and family were due to spend Christmas at home this year anyway and DD is part of our bubble as she lives alone, so she will be with us. So three of us will get to the panto.

Floradora9 Tue 13-Oct-20 21:09:44

The less said the better regading Christmas .

Chewbacca Tue 13-Oct-20 19:58:25

It is better to make plans and then change them than make no plans at all

Tried that M0nica; the pantomime tickets that we bought last Christmas, for this Christmas, have been cancelled, despite them doing their absolute best to try and carry on. The christingle that we attend every year has already been cancelled. And unless the COVID pandemic is seriously under control within the next few weeks, the family Christmas party won't be able to go ahead. Ditto the neighbours Christmas party on the Saturday nearest to Christmas. Best laid plans and all that......

M0nica Tue 13-Oct-20 15:39:38

Well, we have just heard that our local panto is going ahead, so we have booked tickets, but in two separate household groups, just in case rules have been tightened up by December.

It is better to make plans and then change them than make no plans at all and end up alone when with a bit of forethought, you could have had a Christmas with some semblance of normality.

Tweedle24 Tue 13-Oct-20 10:58:07

I had an email from Ocado last week inviting me to book a Christmas slot as I get a regular weekly delivery. The minimum cost is £90 so thought I might have to cancel if I am on my own. My next door neighbour then suggested we both use that delivery. Sorted!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Oct-20 10:03:16

suziewoozie I booked my flu jab as soon as I received the email from Boots.

I do think having five children and a business that I have always had to be organised otherwise it would have been a continuous game of catch up.

suziewoozie Tue 13-Oct-20 09:58:33

Thanks Deek Maybe nearer to Christmas when things are clearer (??) we could have a thread for Christmas Zoom activities/games. Yahtze and Boggle work well

suziewoozie Tue 13-Oct-20 09:55:52

Booking a slot at WR is not exactly like reserving a place in the queue for the local food bank. And I didn’t feel guilty either about being well organised enough to book my flu jab early.

Deekaren Tue 13-Oct-20 09:51:38

Suziwoozie, loved your positive post with ideas of games and pressie opening on Zoom. This is our first Christmas as grandparents and tbh our Grandaughter will be 6 months old by then and for her it will just be another day but will miss not being with her mummy and daddy enjoying watching her reactions to new things but when we go to look after her on the days we help out with childcare then we can see her looking at fairy lights etc. Your ideas of subscription gifts is great as we all need something to look forward to and it will give these businesses a boost. No point giving experience vouchers etc during lockdowns and I really don't want to be paying postage for lots of parcels. My sister is a postie and has found this summer of Amazon parcel deluge more overwhelming than Christmas anyway. I will suggest Zoom pressie opening and charades to my offspring, maybe a bit of carol singing round our piano complete with different internet speed flaws to make it more chaotic too. At least we can still go to a number limited church service if current rules are still in place. Happy planning.

Iam64 Tue 13-Oct-20 09:50:47

Good post sallywally

Sallywally1 Tue 13-Oct-20 09:43:18

Sadly being estranged from one of my children makes Christmas sad for me usually so a low key one this year makes it easier. We will probably see our DS in the morning with our wonderful granddaughter and our other DD with her baby in the afternoon. I have never seen my new DGS and his brother only twice when he was a baby, which is still heart wrenchingly awful. I hope Christmas is nice for other people though and maybe people in general might evaluate the occasion and realise what is important.

Callistemon Tue 13-Oct-20 09:41:41

I'll have another look occasionally, thank you all.

Although I won't panic, turkey is not essential.
I can always cobble something together.

Callistemon Tue 13-Oct-20 09:38:50

Iam64

This is madness. Booking Christmas delivery slots right now. Selfish and unnecessary imo

They've all gone, Iam64
Even the priority slots.

I never even thought about it until I read this thread, so I checked and, as they say round here, there they all were - gone!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Oct-20 09:35:13

craftyone that’s all any of us can do. I am definitely buying more decorations and lights for indoors and outside.

craftyone Tue 13-Oct-20 09:32:37

Iam64, what on earth is selfish about being prudent? The prudent ones are survivors

Re christmas I am prepping for a solo christmas, bearing in mind that it is a full week in reality. I may be able to see family beforehand but who knows, nice to be prudent and prepared. I have bought myself some presents and some treats to eat, will be gettng smoked salmon to freeze, made a small cake. Bought a couple more lit decorations for my living room. I shall have candles and wear a sparkly top, even if on my own

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Oct-20 09:23:52

Iam64

This is madness. Booking Christmas delivery slots right now. Selfish and unnecessary imo

It’s actually later this year for Waitrose to release December delivery dates. I have normally got my slot reserved by mid September. Absolutely nothing to do with the current pandemic just being organised!

PECS Tue 13-Oct-20 09:18:32

Well I guess a lot of needy folk may not be as quick.off the mark so yes they might struggle to get a slot when they think about ot at a s normal folk would..in December.

suziewoozie Tue 13-Oct-20 09:07:58

Iam64

What a truly horrible thing to say. Every year this happens, it’s not just a pandemic issue. What do you want people to do? Not be able to get food delivered in Christmas week?

Iam64 Tue 13-Oct-20 09:03:00

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Oct-20 08:21:16

I managed to get a Waitrose delivery slot for 20/12 on Saturday. They seem to release more slots randomly.