Gransnet forums

Chat

Helpful tips

(82 Posts)
Sallywally1 Tue 13-Oct-20 09:37:18

What small, relatively minor change have you made recently which has made your life smoother?

For me it is taking a picture of post office receipts as I am always losing them. I do a lot of internet shopping and if I need to chase up a return they always want proof of posting. I write what the item was on it of course.

Anyone else?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 23-Oct-20 11:45:31

I go out in the car once a week gmarie for about 45 minutes on a round trip just to keep the battery topped up which is helpful. Could you do the same? I don't go on this little jaunt if it's wet as the lights and the wipers are a further drain on the battery. So far, so good, fingers crossed.

welbeck Tue 20-Oct-20 02:56:23

can't you just take it out for run on the open road every now and again.
maybe the battery needs changing if it is so unreliable.

gmarie Mon 19-Oct-20 00:31:59

Today, I wanted to drive to a mail box but found my car dead for the third time since April. I posted a note to myself to clip the portable charger on my car battery every few weeks so it doesn't keep on draining.

welbeck Sun 18-Oct-20 23:30:52

thank you Magshard. i hadn't thought of trying PO, but they seem fiercer now that they are all privatised.

Markoni40 Thu 15-Oct-20 11:42:53

Auntieflo

Some great tips here.
We also use a phone or IPad to take pictures of the serial numbers on the back of things like the TV. I shall now use it to take pics of receipts
I used to have an address book, and write book titles, alphabetically.

There is and I was so happy when I discovered it.
It is www.goodreads.com/
Saved me from buying books I already read many times

magshard20 Thu 15-Oct-20 10:40:30

Welbeck, you can still get those little money bags, even if you are not near to a bank (is anybody these days?), just call in at any post office, they have them, seeing as I have to use my local post office now to do my banking, I ask for a few each time I go in......they are not as generous as banks at handing out!!

esgt1967 Thu 15-Oct-20 09:46:53

I've just got a Roomba and love it - it truly is life changing!

shysal Wed 14-Oct-20 08:02:23

I had to ask a neighbour to untangle me from a top which was stuck up my back firmly like a straight jacket, when getting dressed after a bath ( I have a dodgy shoulder). She told me that she first folds up the bottom half of a garment on the outside, and it has made life so much easier!

Sloegin Wed 14-Oct-20 07:43:16

Lilyflower, I agree about the Dyson cordless. My husband is unwell so I've been busier the last year or so. I had thought about getting a cleaner but didn't want anyone coming into the house because of Covid. I invested in the newest, most expensive version of the Dyson cordless and it's changed my life!

Nicegranny Wed 14-Oct-20 06:29:47

Online grocery shopping has to be up there with Alexa and 1600 spin on my washing machine ?

CanadianGran Wed 14-Oct-20 04:00:08

For book lovers, also look at LibraryThing app. I've been recording all my books for years, and have a separate login for our book group. You can sort your lists by title, year read, rating etc. One feature I really love is the bar code scan. Hover over it, and it reads the title and saves it to your list.

I have to say having my phone to take photos things is very handy. Your DH asked you to pick up some odd piece of hardware? take a picture of it and go shopping. Instead of telling the clerk "I need a 3/4 inch grapple-grommit", just show them the picture and they will find what you need!

Hetty58 Wed 14-Oct-20 00:59:51

I've got rid of everything that used to need a hot wash - so no light coloured bedding, white towels or tea towels here!

(Reason - I now use an Ecoegg for all my laundry, which has no bleach or optical brighteners - and I'm saving lots of money.)

twiglet77 Wed 14-Oct-20 00:34:52

I decided to do without the torture of bras and just wear a vest top. I realised that nothing in my life has ever been better as a result of wearing any of the countless bras I've met and endured. They're gone for ever and it's bliss, I no longer dread getting dressed!

hollysteers Tue 13-Oct-20 20:17:22

I hate cleaning the glass shower door, so living alone, I have a large lightweight plastic tablecloth over it and it catches the drips! The screen remains immaculate. I take it off when family etc visit.
I love my elasticated watch strap, no fiddling about and I like a month to view calendar rather than a diary for appointments etc. I put a dab of nail varnish on my front door key so it stands out from the bunch.

crazygranny Tue 13-Oct-20 19:59:50

Click and collect - saves time and keeps me away from tempting extras!

Cs783 Tue 13-Oct-20 19:19:01

TheMaggieJane1 I’m following you to the pillory (which hasn’t yet appeared!) as although I’ve no airing cupboard I do stack my bedding in the wardrobe and like your idea of keeping each bedset in one of its pillowcases. I’m swapping out the idea of ironing fitted sheets though for Marie Kondo folding...

V3ra Tue 13-Oct-20 19:02:11

I've done online food shopping for years and love that.

My recent "cheats" are:
Frozen chopped onions: saves so much time and so many tears.
My robot vacuum: it also mops.

Best of all though is my M&S meal-deal treat on a Friday night after a very long and busy working week: mains, side, dessert for two plus a bottle of wine for £12. Cheaper than fish and chips!

welbeck Tue 13-Oct-20 18:45:32

there used to be big buildings called banks on high streets. some of you who live in cities may still have one. they were a useful source of free coin bags, little plastic bags with a turn-over strip which can be used to stash change in pockets, also for keys, so as not to wear through the pockets, and lose the change/keys ....

welbeck Tue 13-Oct-20 18:40:59

i don't see the point in having matching bed linen, not since i was early 20s. the same with crockery.
i know i'm in the minority on here, so i'm not trying to convert anyone. i just want to be heard too. to me function is the criterion, although if it was a hideous colour or design i would not have it. but given that those i have are acceptable to me, any combination will do.

welbeck Tue 13-Oct-20 18:19:28

Aepgirl

I do my ironing as soon as the washing is off the line. It’s so much easier than leaving it in the basket until the creases are hard to press out.

i do no ironing at all, never have, and i find that even easier.

welbeck Tue 13-Oct-20 18:17:55

Oldernewgranny

I bought a Truecall Call Blocker which has been my best purchase in recent years. We were being plagued by nuisance calls, as many as 10 a day. The inconvenience of answering these calls became so stressful and time consuming. The call blocker has transformed our lives.

ditto.
mine's called BT Call Guardian. easy peasy.
everyone who's seen/heard it, has been impressed, and at least two have bought the same. can recommend.

pensionpat Tue 13-Oct-20 18:11:31

Many products/foodstuff have instructions in tiny print. I take a photo then enlarge it until I can read it.

harrysgran Tue 13-Oct-20 18:05:26

Downloaded the shopping list app you just speak into it and it puts it onto your list so handy as I was forever forgetting my list plus if I suddenly remember something I just pop it into the list

TheMaggiejane1 Tue 13-Oct-20 17:49:10

I’m going to get pilloried for this but I love a tidy linen cupboard so I found out how to iron fitted sheets. I iron the sheet, pillowcases and duvet cover from the bed and put everything inside one of the pillowcases. This stacks really neatly in the cupboard. When I change the bed I just need to take the right pillow case out and everything else I need is there! It, sadly, gives me great pleasure!

Florida12 Tue 13-Oct-20 17:21:33

Cordless vacuum cleaner, cordless hedge trimmer, anything cordless.
Supermarket home delivery