Gransnet forums

Chat

Cliff Richard is EIGHTY today

(20 Posts)
CraftyGranny Wed 14-Oct-20 14:04:59

Happy Birthday Cliff. wine cupcake flowers xx
I was definitely going to marry Cliff, unfortunately he didn't ask me!

joannapiano Wed 14-Oct-20 13:12:54

Cliff went to the same school as my cousin, in Cheshunt.
Re Jet Harris, I saw him years ago at a local theatre after he had left the Shadows. He had a group behind him but was lead guitarist. He was so awful he was booed off stage, poor man.

Jane43 Wed 14-Oct-20 12:50:10

I went to see him in concert a few times while I was still at school. He was in those Larry Parnes shows where lots of male singers came on stage and sang for a few minutes and the audience screamed their heads off. We used to hang around the stage door and did meet some of them but never Cliff although my favourite was really Billy Fury and my friend’s was Marty Wilde. We did get his autograph through Jet Harris who was in The Shadows at the time and we chased Bruce and Hank down the high street and got their autographs. Such happy and innocent times, my Mum bless her used to queue up on a Monday morning to get us tickets with strict instructions to get tickets as near the front as she could. He has had a long career and as Dragonfly46 says the false allegations against him have taken a toll on him but his fans have stayed loyal to him. It’s hard to believe he is 80, the last time I saw him he was looking pretty good.

BlueSky Wed 14-Oct-20 11:55:12

Same age but Cliff’s style and was still the ‘50s music. John and the Beatles completely different, starting from the hair cut!
Never mind Cliff, 80 sounds very much like 18! ???

annodomini Wed 14-Oct-20 10:41:16

Both Cliff and John Lennon were born just three weeks before me, and another celebrity, rather less charismatic, born during the same period is Geoff Boycott (cricketer, in case you don't know!)

Callistemon Wed 14-Oct-20 10:09:16

chelseababy

Odd that same "age" as John Lennon yet seems from a different era. Maybe it's just me.

I remember Cliff Richard from my younger teens and saw the Beatles when I was 17 before they were famous, so John Lennon must have been older than Cliff when he found fame.

Kate1949 Wed 14-Oct-20 09:41:10

We've seen him live a couple of times. He was great.

Sparklefizz Wed 14-Oct-20 09:32:36

I had a poster of Cliff pouting on my bedroom wall when I was 12. The first single I bought with my birthday money was "Please don't Tease" .

glammanana Wed 14-Oct-20 09:09:09

Two of my favourite pop stars eighty this past week,Cliff Richard and the late John Lennon just wondering if any of the stars of today will still be as popular when they reach their 80s.

chelseababy Wed 14-Oct-20 09:06:19

Odd that same "age" as John Lennon yet seems from a different era. Maybe it's just me.

Grannybags Wed 14-Oct-20 08:59:54

I was allowed to stay up and watch Saturday (or was it Sunday...?) Night at the London Palladium if Cliff was going to be on!

dragonfly46 Wed 14-Oct-20 08:50:52

Happy Birthday Cliff - I loved him when I was 15! So sad that he has been broken by those evil allegations.

merlotgran Wed 14-Oct-20 08:46:03

Happy Birthday, Cliff. 'Move It' was the first single I bought with my pocket money.

sodapop Wed 14-Oct-20 08:42:43

Happy Birthday Cliff wine

I remember going to the cinema to see Summer Holiday and having to leave before the end as I had a parental curfew !!!

Puzzler61 Wed 14-Oct-20 08:40:48

Happy Birthday Sir Cliff. ?
I said to DH, “did you know Cliff Richards is 80 today”.
His quick answer was “Uh huh”. ?

DanniRae Wed 14-Oct-20 08:16:47

"Happy 80th Birthday, Cliff!!" wine

NanKate Wed 14-Oct-20 08:16:02

Where did all those years go? Happy 80th Cliff ???

Kandinsky Wed 14-Oct-20 08:12:35

Love him - but feel so sorry that his twilight years were ruined by that malicious allegation.

loopyloo Wed 14-Oct-20 08:10:19

Ah the Young ones! With words very apt for today, I think . Perhaps they should update and reissue it.
Go for it Cliff.

infoman Wed 14-Oct-20 08:06:27

How long did "going on a summer holiday" live in your memory?