Gransnet forums

Chat

Family in Australia

(11 Posts)
flamenco Thu 15-Oct-20 10:53:54

Hello I thought it would be perhaps nice to have a little chat group if you have family In Australia. Hard at the best of times, but now so difficult as there are no flights going for the foreseeable future. Zoom etc are great but obviously not ideal. I have a 7 month old grandson I have never seen. Do contact me if you feel like a chat.

farview Thu 15-Oct-20 11:34:15

I have son,daughter in law and two beautiful granddaughters in Australia..should have been going again in January..wont happen now...its very tough..thank goodness for technology, to be able to see them..but it's not the same as coming out into the arrivals hall and have them run to me...
We have to be positive though...you will get to see your grandson soon?

BlueSky Thu 15-Oct-20 11:51:59

Same here, two sons and four grandsons Down Under! Yes Fairview that feeling when you arrive and you finally see them and hug them, the 24 trip instantly forgotten! Flamenco that’ll happen to you too, we must stay positive.
Great idea this group, there are quite a few of us on here x

sunseeker Thu 15-Oct-20 11:59:12

All my immediate family live in Australia, brother emigrated with his family and Mum joined him after Dad died. I was due to fly there in December to celebrate Mum's 95th birthday - that won't be happening now. I agree the long flight is forgotten as soon as you get those welcoming hugs!

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 15-Oct-20 12:07:52

My brother and sister, their partners, three nieces, one nephew and all their partners. Plus, a recently married niece is expecting a baby next May. Another niece was getting married in France next July. But for the foreseeable future they have to stay put. Fortunately we all met up in Sydney in December 2019 for the said wedding, together with a cousin and his family who lives in Melbourne. My brother in law is seriously ill and my brother isn’t the full sixpence after a bad car accident a few years ago. So! We talk on zoom or Facebook messenger regularly. My sister comes to England every year to catch up, but who knows when this can happen again. I am an optimist and think the Spring, OH, ever the pessimist, thinks autumn is more likely.

PamelaJ1 Thu 15-Oct-20 13:56:45

We got stuck in Australia at the end of March.
We had visited DD in Sydney and stopped in Perth to visit friends on the way back..we were locked in a hotel room for a week before we could get a flight.
We don’t have any DGCs over there so that makes separation easier.
We had intended to go every year but that’s on hold now.

flamenco Fri 16-Oct-20 09:49:08

Thank very much for all your replies. Let’s hope it won’t be long before we can visit Oz. Good Luck everyone and keep positive. X

Callistemon Fri 16-Oct-20 10:12:12

I think close relatives of Australian citizens may be allowed to travel there, and, of course, if you have Australian citizenship yourself you could, and it certainly seems a lot safer there than here.
However, undertaking a long haul flight at the moment is not something I'd contemplate, added to which you would have to go into Government-run quarantine for 14 days at your own expense, even though we could quarantine ourselves.
Under normal circumstances we'd be there now.

infoman Fri 16-Oct-20 11:53:02

There is hope,the first N.Z. flight to Australian flight has taken place in the last 24 hours.
One of the restrictions is that when they return to N.Z.they must self isolate at a hotel and at their own expense.

Smileless2012 Fri 16-Oct-20 11:56:20

Our son lives in Perth and he was planning to come back for Christmas which wont be happening now.

We were lucky enough to spend 3 weeks with him over there in January but who knows when we'll be able to see him, in the flesh so to speak, again.

We face time almost every week but it's not the same is it.

quizqueen Fri 16-Oct-20 12:00:45

If the whole world had been sensible and stopped flights for a month earlier in the year, we might not be in the situation we find ourselves in today.