Gransnet forums

Chat

ScotGov being challenged

(19 Posts)
FarNorth Fri 16-Oct-20 18:00:06

www.crowdjustice.com/case/stop-scottish-government-redefining-woman/?fbclid=IwAR1IR0-BM78cUu3E9yotOurbn9_yLLAs6rlZS7eh7IqZzE9Ax4E-3sc8vlY

There is to be a Judicial Review (7 Jan) challenging the Scottish Government's decision to use a new definition of the word 'woman' in their Gender Representation on Public Boards Act.

It is feared that this Act would be used to set a precedent for acceptance of self-identification of sex.

"A 2019 Scottish Government consultation said evidence that a person was continuously living as a woman would include “always using female pronouns; using a female name on official documents such as a driving licence or passport, or on utility bills or bank accounts; describing themselves and being described by others in written or other communication using female language".

This definition of woman goes beyond the Equality Act which defines a woman as a female of any age."

paddyanne Fri 16-Oct-20 19:39:21

Ihave no issue with someone who lives as a woman and identifies as a women being called a woman.What she does doesn't affect my life why should I try to affect hers.I currently know two young people trangendering from Female to male ,I have no problems calling them Him or young man or any other descriptive word that means man .Stirring up hatred for people who just want to live their lives is despicable ..in my opinion.Live and let live .You do appear very obsessed with this,

FarNorth Fri 16-Oct-20 20:37:41

Where do you see hatred in my post paddyanne?

SueDonim Fri 16-Oct-20 23:55:04

That’s good news, FarNorth. How come men never have to define themselves in the way women do? confused

I see no hate, either, just a constant demand by some that women budge up on the bench to make room for anyone who says they’re female too.

Sarnia Sat 17-Oct-20 00:01:34

It's the way of the world now. You have to accept everyone and rightly so.

Baggs Sat 17-Oct-20 08:09:42

In general I have no problem with male-bodied people identifying as female but there are activities where it has turned out or could turn out to be problematic. I saw something recently about women's rugby. It was saying that if male-bodied people play in women's teams, there are more serious injuries to the people who have and always have had female bodies.

The argument in the thing I read was that this was unfair and that male-bodied people, whatever they identify as, shouldn't be allowed on women's rugby teams. I agree with that argument and think it could be applied to many sporting activities.

Jane10 Sat 17-Oct-20 08:19:29

Athletics. If male bodied men are allowed to participate as females then women needn't bother doing all that training. With their larger muscles men would always win. Very dispiriting.

FarNorth Mon 19-Oct-20 18:23:19

We are often told that self-id of sex has been introduced in countries such as Ireland, with no problems at all.

Here is an article from Ireland showing what sort of problem has occurred.

Note also, that although the transwomen (male) prisoners are in a jail for females they are kept away from other prisoners at all times.
That is not what happens in UK jails, even tho self-id has not been put into law here.

m.independent.ie/irish-news/prison-officers-demand-guidelines-on-transgender-inmates-39637102.html?fbclid=IwAR1aRoRwXPkMGMZCOYe7zU4HlHu1ZrnYjnpzlGNVmFeaVOlkLgBd6TyygL4

FarNorth Sun 25-Oct-20 13:01:49

>> The draft guidance expands on the definition of "woman" and sets out examples of what would be regarded as 'evidence that the person was continuously living as a woman':

"This would not require the person to dress, look or behave in any particular way. However, it would be expected that there would be evidence that the person was continuously living as a woman, such as – always using female pronouns; using a female name on official documents such as a driving licence or passport, or on utility bills or bank accounts; using female titles; updating the gender marker to female on official documents such as a driving licence or passport; describing themselves and being described by others in written or other communication as a woman."

The Act does not require an appointing person to ask a candidate to prove that they meet the definition of woman in the Act. <<

FarNorth Sat 31-Oct-20 12:09:23

Just one comment from someone who has donated to the campaign :

"As a post-op transwoman of many years I am horrified at the SNP's proposed new GRA law and self ID'ing. It not only threatens women and girls it also takes away the safety net for people who are on their journey to transitioning."

Jayt Sat 31-Oct-20 12:19:08

Why the Scottish Government is tying itself in knots with the definition of a woman defies all logic. A woman is a woman, end of.

FarNorth Sat 14-Nov-20 18:06:44

There are a few hours left, if you want to donate to this.
smile

SilentGames Sat 14-Nov-20 19:26:21

Those saying they have no issues and accuse those who may have concerns (many do) of being discriminating need to also be aware that their unconcerns what people choose to do will have an impact on other people’s lives. There is a big difference between persons wanting to live as women and going through the transition to those who just choose to identify as a woman as and when it suits them. Men using women’s designated spaces. Have we forgotten what happens in prisons where men identifying as women have raped. I admire those who have struggled to live as whatever gender and transition but scared of this issue being swept forward as its fashionable forcing women to accept allowing men in their safe space

Jane10 Sat 14-Nov-20 19:47:11

I recently saw women being referred to as 'birthers'. I'm with JK Rowling on this.

Galaxy Sat 14-Nov-20 20:03:59

It would be also really good if we could stop using the sexist term lives as a woman unless someone is able to tell me what it means..

lemongrove Sat 14-Nov-20 20:14:23

Bakes cakes, arranges flowers, knits??

SilentGames Sat 14-Nov-20 21:09:30

Galaxy please educate me and tell me how it is sexist. I had not intended to be sexist. Lives as a ?

FarNorth Sat 14-Nov-20 22:38:27

SilentGames it's impossible to know what 'lives as a woman' means although it is a term that's used in legislation.
I know why you use it, but really it's just a man who (perhaps) wears clothes / hairstyle / makeup more usually associated with women, maybe has a 'female' name, maybe changes the name and sex on documents such as driving licence and passport.

At the moment, I can't think of a short way to say that.

FarNorth Sat 14-Nov-20 22:39:56

lemongrove, if that's it, I'm failing dismally. sad