Gransnet forums

Chat

Fantastically accurate descriptions

(83 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 22-Oct-20 15:50:56

I was idly listening into a conversation between two ladies in a bakery today as one was making my sandwiches. They were discussing jobs they'd had. One talked about when she'd worked in a butchers department and how confusing it was when:

"all the old ladies with their cauliflower hair and straight blue anoraks"

came into the shop at the same time as she would mix them up and give the wrong order to the wrong lady because they all looked the same. Those few words painted such an image in my mind that any professional author or poet would have been proud of them
grin

Tweedle24 Sat 24-Oct-20 23:37:47

Lucca. I have a short, graduated bob, but, bobs were mentioned as unsuitable, along with cauliflower cuts. I did ask tongue in cheek.

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 10:16:20

dawntreader1

What does it matter how people choose to wear their hair as long as they are happy with it. I am NOT happy about the use of any of these derogatory terms.

With the greatest possible respect dawn, lighten up!!

Grannyguitar Sat 24-Oct-20 08:33:54

Yes, my greengrocer always calls them 'cauliflower heads'!

Jillybird Sat 24-Oct-20 08:29:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mokryna Sat 24-Oct-20 00:43:53

I am not happy with my hair, it is thin and short styles do not suit. What do you called that patch (not bald -yet) at the top head which everyone can see when you are sitting down?

dawntreader1 Sat 24-Oct-20 00:10:38

What does it matter how people choose to wear their hair as long as they are happy with it. I am NOT happy about the use of any of these derogatory terms.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 23:03:33

I could listen to Billy Connolly all day.
He has such a lovely way of telling his tales.

Rosina Fri 23-Oct-20 22:12:43

Georgesgran I think Billy Connolly also described these ladies as having 'Scone shoes' - the little comfy basketweave wide fitting footwear that scuttled into tea shops, taking their owner with them! That was such a funny sketch.

Scrappydo Fri 23-Oct-20 20:24:00

My hairdresser many years ago called the pensioners “ the blue rinse brigade “

Bluebellwould Fri 23-Oct-20 18:32:52

Sorry autocorrect Grannee

Bluebellwould Fri 23-Oct-20 18:32:21

Grande, I thought that read ‘a face like a melted WILLIE’.
My mind boggled ?

Lucca Fri 23-Oct-20 18:28:54

And then there is helmet hair

lemongrove Fri 23-Oct-20 18:24:59

I’ve watched most of the Ever Decreasing Circles this last year, they regularly crop up on Dave or Gold, and I enjoyed them even more the second time around.
Good acting and dialogue and plots, both funny and touching.

annodomini Fri 23-Oct-20 17:11:50

I found a photo taken the only time I had a curly perm. It seemed to make me look older and fatter. I was 43 and a Weight Watchers leader. Now I am really older and my naturally curly hair has made a comeback.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 17:05:04

I have heard of a bus driver who calls his older clientele the "Twirlies", because they're always trying to use their bus passes before 9, and ask "Am I too early"?

Grannee Fri 23-Oct-20 17:04:31

A local farmer here would say "a face like a melted wellie" ?

specki4eyes Fri 23-Oct-20 16:50:54

A late and very lamented. Geordie chum of mine used to refer to a grumpy person as "having a face like a pox doctor's clerk" which always made me laugh.
My favourite way of getting off to sleep is to snuggle down and say to myself "a warm bed on a winter's night". Works every time.
Howard and Hilda..Ever Decreasing Circles. I loved the flirty next door neighbour..was it Peter Egan? As ever, Richard Briers played a brilliant part. We all know someone like that.

Nightsky2 Fri 23-Oct-20 16:34:56

I was a cauliflower head for 1 day in the early 70s. I went to pick up my young son from nursery school and he didn’t recognise me!. After walking round me in a circle and with me reassuring him that I was mummy he burst into tears. I had it taken out the following morning.

As I have a natural wave in my hair it had frizzed up shock. I had agreed with my hairdresser that he would take the perm out if I didn’t like it.

Jess20 Fri 23-Oct-20 16:31:52

We used to call them (now us) 'Cottontops'

Jaxjacky Fri 23-Oct-20 16:20:15

GrannieAnnie2010

BelindaB Fri 23-Oct-20 16:02:28

I once lost my temper at work and descibed a woman who I disliked as having a face like a smacked a**e.

My boss laughed so hard he fell off the chair.......

Lucca Fri 23-Oct-20 15:08:25

You can have a nice sharp bob Tweedle!

Tweedle24 Fri 23-Oct-20 14:37:00

Oh, dear! I have always avoided a perm. I always had fine, straight hair but, lately it has developed a kink.

I am puzzled about what to do with my hair if I can’t have a bob or a perm. What is left, please? Currently, I blow-dry it to get rid of the waves.

Llamedos13 Fri 23-Oct-20 14:20:44

Omg this thread is hilarious ?.

phoenix Fri 23-Oct-20 14:04:19

On another thread I described someone's facial expressions as being like a bulldog licking p*ss off a stinging nettle. blush