Gransnet forums

Chat

Roast potatoes for breakfast

(71 Posts)
Witzend Fri 23-Oct-20 11:21:49

To be fair it was nearly 11 am - I hardly ever fancy anything to eat first thing - but I’ve just had 3 large roast potatoes, some broccoli and gravy, all left over from a roast chicken dinner the other night - warmed up together in the microwave.

Delish! And cleared out the fridge a bit at the same time.

NannyG123 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:59:03

On the odd occasion I used to go to the club with husband for a Sunday lunchtime drink with friends. There was always roast potatoes on the bar. And yes I always had some.

Kartush Sat 24-Oct-20 23:02:01

I have never understood why there are unwritten rules about what food should be eaten when. If you feel like roast potatoes for brekkie thats awesome.

SpringyChicken Sat 24-Oct-20 22:16:22

Daughter used to be a pain at breakfast, she hated cereal. So Mondays she had leftover Yorkshire puds and gravy, other days included rice pudding, fruit scones and fruit cake. Sometimes cream crackers and cheese.

Llamedos13 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:02:23

No matter how long I’ve been in Canada, nothing beats an Ulster Fry any time of the day.

Unigran4 Sat 24-Oct-20 19:26:28

I have a two-tier steamer so fill both tiers with assorted veg, use one tier for my evening meal and pick my way through the second tier the following day. It's really helped with the weight. Not that I'm bothered about the weight - I just make sure I step off the scales before they tell me I am obese!

Grannynannywanny Sat 24-Oct-20 19:24:44

Llamedos13 you’re right, they’re very tasty with a fry up!

Shizam Sat 24-Oct-20 19:22:37

Coming home from a late shift: Cold roast potatoes with probably too much salt and a chicken wing from a roast dinner. Absolutely ace!

Caro57 Sat 24-Oct-20 19:21:24

Lovely - used to really enjoy last night’s curry cold for breakfast

Llamedos13 Sat 24-Oct-20 19:15:14

Grannynannywanny, they look delicious. Even tastier fried in bacon fat

Desdemona Sat 24-Oct-20 18:51:40

I eat cereal late at night sometimes and would happily eat roast leftovers of a morning.....your belly doesn't know what time it is (does it?) smile

aonk Sat 24-Oct-20 18:43:45

I’m finding this thread very surprising! I do agree that people should eat what they want and when they want it but I don’t think I could do it. What I want is nearly always unhealthy! Without thinking I just have cereal and fruit for breakfast and a sandwich or salad for lunch. I prefer to save cooked food for the evening. I must have been indoctrinated! I should add that we do use up our leftovers but as part of our evening meal.

Tickledpink Sat 24-Oct-20 15:58:39

Elevenses you're allowed ?and roast potatoes allowed anytime. Cold with a sprinkling of salt, delish.

Daffydilly Sat 24-Oct-20 15:39:36

And why ever not? ?

Mind you, I speak as someone who finds Christmas cake for breakfast perfectly acceptable.

nipsmum Sat 24-Oct-20 15:38:50

As we get older, we are allowed to have what we like when we like. At least in this house.

Grannynannywanny Sat 24-Oct-20 15:34:16

My dear old dad was a lover of sprouts and even enjoyed them cold. He would cook a double amount and keep the leftovers in a bowl in the fridge and snack on them. He said they were as nice as sweets. The smell opening his fridge door was enough for me to decline a taster. 3 day old cold sprouts don’t smell very appetising !

Patsy429 Sat 24-Oct-20 14:56:56

Just had sausage and green beans sandwich. Lush!

Gilmul Sat 24-Oct-20 14:54:50

Added some grated cheese and onion to mashed potatoes the other day and fried as potato cakes !!! Bloody delicious ?

Atmometer Sat 24-Oct-20 14:54:27

Now I'm craving for roast potatoes.

Kim19 Sat 24-Oct-20 14:51:55

This is one of the plusses of living alone for me. I eat whatever I fancy whenever I fancy. Joy. Interestingly my type and quantity of food now consumed varies dramatically from just a few years ago. If I had know how I might eat now awhile back I would have laughed it out of court as 'not a chance!' Funny old life but..... decidedly enjoyable.

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 14:51:32

I don’t think there are any wrong times where food is concerned.I can’t eat cold roast potatoes though, at any time.
DH adores them, so I always cook some extra to be put in the fridge for him.
I had marmalade on buttered toast for a snack at 10.30 last night.

HillyN Sat 24-Oct-20 14:43:20

I once offered my GD crumpets as a teatime snack. She looked very surprised and said-"Now? Crumpets are for breakfast!". They are in her house, apparently.
Years ago when we went to my aunt's for Sunday lunch, the menfolk would go to the pub while it was cooking, as there were always roast potatoes on the bar as a snack.

Spangler Sat 24-Oct-20 13:55:36

Doesn't anyone dunk a biscuit in a hot drink for breakfast?

HurdyGurdy Sat 24-Oct-20 13:45:23

When I was still living at home with my mum, we'd often just cook up a dish of roast potatoes as a snack! I'd always have mine with gravy and mint sauce.

Delish!

Aepgirl Sat 24-Oct-20 12:59:28

Whatever the time of day, if you fancy something to eat, just eat it. You aren’t pregnant are you Witzend?!!

BlueSky Sat 24-Oct-20 12:52:38

Now we are adults we can have just apple pie and custard for lunch, but children can’t. I feel sorry for them when they’ve got to eat their main meal first.