Gransnet forums

Chat

People who bleed

(39 Posts)
FarNorth Sat 24-Oct-20 12:34:22

Tampax celebrating the 'diversity of all people who bleed'.

maddyone Sat 24-Oct-20 19:31:25

Absolutely Lucca, it’s a joy to be rid of them isn’t it?

Excellent post TerriBull.

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 18:38:36

kircubbin2000

Well I won't be buying their woke product again!

Nor will i thank goodness . Only good thing about getting old is no more periods.

Jane10 Sat 24-Oct-20 18:37:30

Hear hear Terribull!

Galaxy Sat 24-Oct-20 18:35:27

I also think if people like tampax cared in the slightest about transmen they might be asking questions about the apparent failure rate of surgery for transmen, I really really hope we are doing the right thing by transmen because if we are not the last thing anyone will be worrying about is whether the language was inclusive or not.

SueDonim Sat 24-Oct-20 18:27:55

I love your posts, Terribull. Well said.

Doodledog Sat 24-Oct-20 17:36:59

TransMEN, not transmit! AArrgghh!

TerriBull Sat 24-Oct-20 17:36:42

It's a can of worms, just consider an everyday situation, women and girls going to be fitted for a bra in M&S and then finding the person in the adjacent cubicle is allowed to be there because they are identifying as a female. Some won't feel comfortable in situations where they need to change their sanitary wear in toilets that are no longer designated as a place for women. What of changing rooms? I belonged to a health club until recently where most women and girls were partially or fully naked after showering and changing following swimming or gym. What about the women whose religion have strict parameters about modesty and the definition of two sexes, and are precluded from being seen in a state of undress by anyone other than their husbands, do they not matter?

It is a fact that many women are not comfortable with the proposals that are in the offing, and why should those women not have their voices heard. One only has to look at the numerous threads over on MN, a younger demographic in the main than here, to know just how many women feel they are being thrown under the bus.

Look at the shed load of shite that came JK Rowling's way when she had the temerity to suggest that it was appropriate to say "women menstruate" rather than people. One of the tactics to discredit it her by the vociferous opponents of free speech were to put umpteen one star reviews of her new Robert Dalgleish book up on Amazon, didn't do them any good though it still went to number one in the hardback charts.

Doodledog Sat 24-Oct-20 17:36:26

Obviously all transmit bleed - I am mixing the terms in my post above. I do wish we had a few minutes to edit on here! It is maddening to spot a mistake and have no means of putting it right.

Doodledog Sat 24-Oct-20 17:34:52

Bluebellwould

People who bleed! Everyone bleeds don’t they? If you cut someone they bleed. Surely they mean people who menstruate which is a totally different thing.

I think it is deliberately conflating the terms. Menstruation is the assumed meaning, given the product, but technically it is inclusive, as everyone bleeds, including some transmen.

It's quite clever/disingenuous, depending on your point of view. What I object to is their claiming to be using 'facts', when we all know that there is a lot of difference of opinion surrounding the issue.

EllanVannin Sat 24-Oct-20 17:04:48

Whatever next in this ever changing world ? Of course everyone bleeds one way or another !

FarNorth Sat 24-Oct-20 17:02:37

Paddyanne if you can show any hatred in any posts I have made, please do so.
I don't think there is any.

I'm sure that anyone who needs to use sanitary protection is aware of that fact and doesn't need to be reminded by special wording from Tampax.

I wonder if anyone likes being called a person who bleeds.

Lavazza1st Sat 24-Oct-20 16:53:22

Well, it would be good for their sales if people were to use it everytime they cut themselves ?

Astral Sat 24-Oct-20 16:52:19

Oh that's an age old argument isn't it, discrimante against the many based on the actions of a very few.

Will society ever learn to hold individuals accountable instead of spreading fear and prejudice against entire groups who aren't the same as they are?

I hope so, its a very shameful problem that just keep popping up on different stances and platforms.

TerriBull Sat 24-Oct-20 16:36:34

Whilst transitioning females to males have the same objective as vice versa, there is nevertheless a difference. As far as I'm aware, there haven't been any incidences of transmen presenting a problem or threat to other men in changing rooms/public toilets. Neither I imagine, if a transman were to enter the sporting arena would they make it impossible for a natal men ever to win in that field again.

Whilst the majority of transwomen will be mindful of any potential threat that a cynical minority of transwomen could present to women/girls in vulnerable spaces. Most of us here on GN on such a subject will be aware of the individual who goes by the name of Karen White. Furthermore, there is a very aggressive element in the transwomen lobby who are determined to fight (literally) any woman who goes against their ultimate aims, almost as it were to prove a point that they can trounce the desires of a majority of natal women to feel comfortable in what they have previously found to be safe havens. In some respects the overt aggression such people display, could be deemed as a characteristic more likely to be found in the male of the species.

I may be wrong but it appears that these battles go one way, men transitioning to women rather than the other way round, so yes Paddyanne I doubt whether the two young people. you know will be a threat to anyone. It isn't prejudice for women and girls to want to keep personal spaces such as changing rooms, toilets, women's refuges and prisons places where they may encounter, because it hasn't been unknown, to all intents and purposes a person who presents as a woman but has predatory male tendencies, hence my reference to Karen White.

Astral Sat 24-Oct-20 15:45:38

"Technology has broken down. Organized religion has broken down. Cities have fallen and become ruins. The great plague has run through. The last heroes have disappeared. Evil held sway for a time, but has also since regressed. Time no longer runs on a fixed wheel. Things that once worked no longer do. Things that should no longer work continue to function. Oh Discordia!"

From The Dark Tower

paddyanne Sat 24-Oct-20 15:35:09

I have two young friends currently transitioning from female to male .I have no idea if they still bleed at this stage but I'd like to think someone with victim mentality isn't stirring up trouble for them .They just want to live their lives....please give this a rest ,they aren't any threat to you .Its not a decision made lightly ,keep your prejudice to yourself!
I do think the OP is overly obsessed with this subject,the world moves on accept it or be left behind .

maddyone Sat 24-Oct-20 15:30:35

I thought we had this discussion quite recently on Gransnet.
For the record I agree with GrannyGravy. You can call yourself whatever you like but hormones, surgery, in fact nothing at all will change your chromosomes.

Astral Sat 24-Oct-20 15:16:22

My bleeds are well on their way out. I like that it's more honest about periods and also a bit more desensitising... We bleed, we are supposed to, no big deal.

The adverts with blue liquid get on my nerves. I'm not making a raspberry slush puppy in there.

kircubbin2000 Sat 24-Oct-20 15:07:03

Well I won't be buying their woke product again!

MawB2 Sat 24-Oct-20 15:02:20

Totally proving my point Suziewoozie which you seem to have missed.

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 14:45:55

MissAdventure

Tampax.
'For every bleeder'.

?
Wonderful!

MissAdventure Sat 24-Oct-20 14:42:39

It's a stupid ad. Period. wink

Pantglas2 Sat 24-Oct-20 14:32:34

Not this bleeding topic again......?

suziewoozie Sat 24-Oct-20 14:31:35

MawB2

Merchant of Venice Act 111 scene 1
“Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die?“

But where do we bleed from and why? I don’t think my periods resulted from bring pricked. Neither were they blue btw but that’s another point.

Spinnaker Sat 24-Oct-20 14:31:11

Ah ok then - next time I cut my finger I'll stick a tampon on it confused smile