Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you ever just do nothing?

(108 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sat 24-Oct-20 15:27:14

It's quite a nice day here but I didn't go for a walk as I was expecting my son to call. He rang to say he was unwell so I took a short nap, made coffee and have spent the afternoon just looking at the I pad and crossword. I couldn't be bothered going out now so I think I am in for the day!

Hetty58 Sat 24-Oct-20 17:36:33

Farview, I find 'doing nothing' very relaxing. I have really perfected the art of 'duvet days' and view them as just 'recharging my batteries'.

It's quite an effort - and difficult - to actually do nothing at all.

Today I did as little as possible (much easier) by getting showered and dressed, walking the dog - and making pudding and custard.

Watching films (and chatting on here) is doing something too - so that's quite enough for now, I believe!

farview Sat 24-Oct-20 17:47:40

Hetty58..I just am not good at relaxing...wish I were..

Judy54 Sat 24-Oct-20 18:03:05

It's my favourite pass time! I don't feel guilty about taking time out for myself after years of working. We all deserve some me time and if for you that is doing nothing then that is absolutely fine. Obviously not to be recommended 24 hours a day just nice to relax in between household chores/cooking etc and sit and dream.

Parsley3 Sat 24-Oct-20 18:09:53

When I stopped feeling guilty about doing nothing, I started to enjoy it. I had a lovely long lie in bed this morning without a blush. ☺

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 18:16:05

I’ve had an unproductive day not achieving anything. Every shop I decided to visit had insane queues. I’ve bought a car seat for DGD but I don’t like it so I’ll need to go back tomorrow. Bought some snacks for the grandkids but opened them myself and found the chocolate rice cakes (I know) were all manky. Have to go back tomorrow. Went to Boots bought a couple of things, forgot something. Yep, have to go back tomorrow ...... having a glass of wine now.

Gravey Sat 24-Oct-20 18:45:58

Do nothing far to often. Single grandfather who wonders how and what if too much !

Lyndylou Sat 24-Oct-20 19:44:00

I am used to having my DGS Saturdays and struggling with his maths homework with him while his mum works. However I haven't seen him, except from afar, since he went back to school last month so today with no DGS and too wet to garden, I haven't done a great deal at all. I cleaned the kitchen, walked the dog, then spent all afternoon searching through ebay and etsy. It's been great!!

sharon103 Sat 24-Oct-20 19:46:54

I'm an expert in doing nothing these days. Isn't it lovely. smile

ayse Sat 24-Oct-20 19:56:11

I have to do things in the morning otherwise 3.00 is pot of tea time and relaxation for the rest of the day.

I used to feel guilty but no more. Just love lots of time to contemplate and decide what I might do tomorrow. It’s a bit like Alice, “jam yesterday, jam tomorrow but never jam today”

???

Gingster Sat 24-Oct-20 20:01:12

No, I can’t sit and do nothing. My DH can And loves nothing more than sitting and watching TV. It drives me mad! I love to read or do craft whilst watching tv. Jigsaws and crosswords. But most of all I like to play Bridge , go bowling, art class, rambling, chimes, or lunches/coffees with friends and family. Life is too short to sit and do nothing.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Oct-20 20:16:33

I love this Spanish proverb.
Fits me to a tee.
?

Millie22 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:37:46

I'm busy during the day doing chores knitting baking and gardening when it's not raining or too cold. In the evening I watch television or listen to music. We all need some time to relax our minds and doing nothing is just that.

Tangerine Sat 24-Oct-20 22:49:45

Occasionally, I have a lazy day or a lazy half day. I think it's good to do nothing occasionally. Mostly I have plenty to do.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 24-Oct-20 23:20:35

Very hard to do absolutely nothing. Warm day outside, I just fall asleep. That's doing nothing. Doesn't seem to happen as I see something that needs doing. The "to do" list is far to long to allow me to do nothing.

Even sat reading book or watching TV is doing something.

merlotgran Sat 24-Oct-20 23:30:14

Spangler

Didn't Bing Crosby sing a song about: "Busy Doing Nothing?"

I love the line, 'Trying to find lots of things not to do.'

Sums me up when I'm staring at the ironing. grin

SusieFlo Sun 25-Oct-20 09:27:09

Sounds like my day! I call it going round in circles and finish up where I left off. Haha

Moggycuddler Sun 25-Oct-20 09:50:37

I love Wilkie Collins!!

Teetime Sun 25-Oct-20 09:56:38

I would love to have a nothing day but I live with one of the senior officers of the Activity Police. I would love to just put the radio on on Classic FM, sit in the conservatory and daydream. Likewise when we do go for a walk I would like to sit on a bench in the park and juts watch people go by and the colours on the trees. HiMself will not sit down but stands next to me 'until I've had a rest'. Its not a rest I want its a bit of peace and some good quality day dreaming.

Phloembundle Sun 25-Oct-20 10:00:33

Don't like doing nothing, and can't slow down since retirement.

Minerva Sun 25-Oct-20 10:06:34

Never, unless checking through Gransnet counts as nothing

MaggieMay69 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:07:46

I DID like doing nothing, now I love playing games online lol, my latest favourite that my grandchildren have gotten me into is a game called 'Among Us!' where there is a group of you, and one of you is the 'Imposter' and you have to go about this building doing tasks, while the imposter tries to kill you off without being seen by another player!

Every so often a meeting is called and you get to throw questions at one another to find out the killer and then people vote...theres no violence, its all sweet graphics and I absolutely love it, I get to play with three sets of grandchildren at the same time, we can all chat with our headsets plus my dd & sil plays, and its much more fun that face-timing which I hate in case the kids take the mickey out of my 'tasche! lol!

Joesoap Sun 25-Oct-20 10:09:42

I have become a "doing nothing person" without a guilty conscience,of course I am a GN addict and enjoy writing e mails, looking at FB.But I have ironing to do,so better get on with it.All enjoy your doing nothing day ladies.

Esspee Sun 25-Oct-20 10:15:38

Since lockdown I am afraid I have done little else.

hicaz46 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:18:10

Yes - ‘busy doing nothing’ is great sometimes and just what is needed.

kittypaws49 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:21:21

Doing nothing makes me more tired than keeping busy ! I'm going to wear myself out in the end though !