Gransnet forums

Chat

Where have they all gone?

(152 Posts)
NanKate Sat 24-Oct-20 22:14:32

I was looking up the name of an author Jojo Moyles to decide if I would like her books and found that there had been a thread about her in 2015.

I only recognised about 3 members who are still here today Soop Lemongrove and AuntieFlo and I just felt sad that all the others had dropped away for some reason or another.

Chewbacca Sun 25-Oct-20 08:52:46

There used to be a poster who had several incarnations over the years but I think her last one was Jura? She lived in Switzerland and kept a house here too I think. I've not seen her post for a very long time but maybe she just changed her name and is still, posting.

lemongrove Sun 25-Oct-20 08:54:36

Yes, she is still posting under a new name.

suziewoozie Sun 25-Oct-20 09:03:31

Chewbacca

^If Gabrielle is an example of the good old days, you’re welcome to her^

But for all her faults, she would never have made a comment like that about anyone. hmm

Really - I’m criticising her for what she said , not for what she looked like. Get the difference?

Marydoll Sun 25-Oct-20 09:04:53

I think I know who it is. Recognised the style right away. On re-incarnating yourself, I think it must be difficult to disguise your original writing style and personality, especially when discussions become heated! ?
You would recognise me right away! ?

Chewbacca Sun 25-Oct-20 09:08:51

Really - I’m criticising her for what she said , not for what she looked like. Get the difference?

Did I mention what she looked like? confused Gabriella wasn't everyone's cup of tea but she wasn't rude, acerbic or relied on put downs to get her point across. Do you get the difference?

suziewoozie Sun 25-Oct-20 09:11:40

Chewbacca

^Really - I’m criticising her for what she said , not for what she looked like. Get the difference?^

Did I mention what she looked like? confused Gabriella wasn't everyone's cup of tea but she wasn't rude, acerbic or relied on put downs to get her point across. Do you get the difference?

You know what I meant - I found her threads and comments on women’s looks totally unacceptable and criticising her for that is perfectly fine and no way comparable.

Marydoll Sun 25-Oct-20 09:12:54

When NanKate, one of our kind and gentle posters, started this thread, I'm sure she never expected it to become so unpleasant so quickly.

suziewoozie Sun 25-Oct-20 09:12:59

And of course she was right wing which is bound to get her a get out of jail free card with many on GN.,

BlueBelle Sun 25-Oct-20 09:15:58

I m so stupid I never remember anyone’s style really or recognise them under other names I think I joined 3 years after it started but don’t remember all the names mentioned I do remember Jura but not well enough to see her in another name
There were two people I do remember who I didn’t find I liked their style but I m not mentioning no names guv
I don’t have a good memory and I don’t think I went on as much as I do now but I m going to have a think

lemongrove Sun 25-Oct-20 09:16:39

Absolute nonsense from you suzie ...... nothing whatsoever to do with politics, she was a well liked interesting poster that’s all.

Chewbacca Sun 25-Oct-20 09:17:42

No Marydoll, I'm sure she didn't; I'd opened it thinking that it was an interesting thread to see who we missed posting now; not an opportunity to criticise those who are no longer here to defend themselves.

Marydoll Sun 25-Oct-20 09:17:46

suziewoozie, what have her political views got to do with this thread?

I'm now racking my brains to try and get this thread back on track!

suziewoozie Sun 25-Oct-20 09:17:56

Marydoll

When NanKate, one of our kind and gentle posters, started this thread, I'm sure she never expected it to become so unpleasant so quickly.

There have been other threads recently on this same theme and they all disintegrate - you can’t be free to praise certain posters and not expect criticism if others don’t agree - I felt particularly so about G and had every right to say so - you know the GN mantra, being entitled to express an opinion. G was marmite and anyone with any sense knows that. You’ll note I haven’t criticised others.

lemongrove Sun 25-Oct-20 09:18:22

I think you were the first Bluebelle on GN and there are now two other posters with a similar name, I get you mixed up.?

NanKate Sun 25-Oct-20 09:18:58

Thank you for your kind words Mary.

suziewoozie Sun 25-Oct-20 09:19:01

Marydoll

*suziewoozie*, what have her political views got to do with this thread?

I'm now racking my brains to try and get this thread back on track!

It wasn't her political views - it was her sheer nastiness towards certain women based on their looks.

lemongrove Sun 25-Oct-20 09:20:22

It’s a thread about missing certain posters not started as a thread to criticise missing posters.There’s a big difference.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Oct-20 09:21:20

Well I ve just looked back on the search to find my first post which was 2013 and there are about 6/8 names that are still around but the rest I don’t recognise at all

lemongrove Sun 25-Oct-20 09:21:52

I haven’t seen Galen posting for ages.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Oct-20 09:22:26

I miss GabriellaG54 her posts were never boring.

Charleygirl5 Sun 25-Oct-20 09:22:55

I agree, Jura just seems to have vanished. I do remember her mentioning her life in Switzerland-too cold there for me.

I agree what Chewbacca said about Gabriella-I enjoyed hearing about her life- she appeared to be a free spirit, I did envy her ability to go for runs each day when I can just about manage a supermarket. C'est la vie.

I have been with GN for over 10 years now and I feel that the personal nastiness has increased tenfold.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Oct-20 09:23:16

lemongrove

I haven’t seen Galen posting for ages.

She has been in soops kitchen, yesterday I think?

suziewoozie Sun 25-Oct-20 09:23:38

lemongrove

It’s a thread about missing certain posters not started as a thread to criticise missing posters.There’s a big difference.

No it moved onto Lily praising G - I disagreed with her and said so and why. And who would have thought a thread could move on? Perish the thought.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Oct-20 09:24:26

Jura definitely hasn’t vanished, she is posting under another name (look on the political threads)

Chewbacca Sun 25-Oct-20 09:24:38

Lemongrove I think that Galen stkll posts in soops kitchen from time to time.