Gransnet forums

Chat

What did Grandma knit for you?

(119 Posts)
vampirequeen Tue 27-Oct-20 21:48:57

Every autumn Grandma would knit me a new hat for winter. It was always a loopy design in the most disgusting shade of green. I had to wear it all through winter and wear the previous year's to sleep in.

Did your Grandma knit you things?

nipsmum Wed 28-Oct-20 10:18:26

I never had grandparents. They were both dead before I was born. My Mum made dresses for me though, and for my daughters too when they were small. I knit mostly toys for my Grandchildren now. They are grown up and don't want hand knitted clothes, except gloves and camping socks.

Funnygran Wed 28-Oct-20 10:19:00

One grandmother died when my mum was only a child and the other one when I was four so I hardly remember her. But there was a great aunt who used to come and stay and she knitted and sewed for us. Her speciality was smocking and as 50's children my sister and I loved the dresses she made for us. My mum knitted and sewed too when she had the time and my children remember the sets of matching Aran jackets she knitted for them.

Jens Wed 28-Oct-20 10:21:57

My gran was the knitter, my mum, her daughter, was a prewar qualified tailoress/dressmaker between them we were well clothed, only thing ever bought was underwear, including liberty bodices! However, she taught me to knit, made many jerseys, socks, all the baby clothes for my children for nieces and nephews and countless friends and relatives. Make anything from Arans to baby Shawls.
What a huge pity it’s a dying art, those woolly jumpers etc lasted for years!

Happysexagenarian Wed 28-Oct-20 10:28:26

Nothing. My Nan hated knitting!
But my Mum was an obsessed knitter and a very good one. So throughout my childhood I had beautifully knitted jumpers, cardigans, dresses, socks, vests and bodices (remember those?). When I started secondary school I discovered school cardigans could be bought, and that no-one else wore vests let alone knitted ones, so I refused to wear what Mum made. She confessed then that she much preferred to knit small things like baby clothes but it had been cheaper to knit for me than to buy ready made. She made some beautiful mattinee coats and cardigans for our boys when they were born, always white as she insisted babies shouldn't be dressed in colours. Mum taught me to knit and I have made a few things over the years, but I find knitting slow and tedious so don't do much. I prefer to sew.

Megs36 Wed 28-Oct-20 10:32:59

Really made me smile, I’ve been knitting hats like mad for my family?, now on number 12, don’t think any of them will wear them but knitting them keeps me awake!!!

b1zzle Wed 28-Oct-20 10:33:45

A swimming costume! Ugh!

Summerstorm Wed 28-Oct-20 11:00:08

I don’t remember either of my grandparents knitting for me unless maybe socks for wellies, I have however knitted for mine and was very touched recently when, having knitted a neck warmer for my 14 yr old grandson which he wore over his jacket. I tried to point out that it was meant to be worn under, and he replied, well that’s daft because no one will see it there and I really like it. Actually felt the proverbial lump in the throat

Karken275 Wed 28-Oct-20 11:02:05

My dad's mum was fabulous with all types of needles and taught me. Everyone got my crocheted hot water bottle covers and we used to embroider table cloths together. When I was clearing my aunt's house I found one that had been in a chest since my DGM died in 1983. My mum's mum didn't knit but worked in a sock factory and brought home the machine rejects. At an early age we were taught to toe bit them (finish them off) then they were given as gifts at christmas. I still have her darning mushroom and the knowledge to use it!

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 28-Oct-20 11:06:22

Nope! One did knit, but not for me the other crocheted but again not for me. That was all left to mum!!

Daisend1 Wed 28-Oct-20 11:20:47

I well remember watching my gran knitting on four needles socks I would wear in the summer.These were in cotton not wool.Is this where the saying ' bless your cotton socks' comes from?

Craftycat Wed 28-Oct-20 11:28:24

I'm sure they must have done but I cannot remember either of my Grandmothers knitting. My Mother did & she taught me. One Grandmother did exquisite crochet & during the war made crocheted net curtains for Harrods. She taught me to crochet but not to her standard- I use wool - she used really fine crochet cotton. I have some bedspreads & table cloths she made. The table cloths come out at Christmas & for dinner parties.

4allweknow Wed 28-Oct-20 11:31:59

One Grandma deceased before I was born, other died when I was 2. I can just imagine the one who was alive would certainly have knitted something as her background was very self sufficient country life. The picture Vampurequeen posted shows the hat I knitted in white for my own DD.

EllanVannin Wed 28-Oct-20 11:42:05

I'm another who didn't have grandparents though I do remember " sharing " those of the next door neighbour's grandparents who lived with the family. Plenty of old aunts in long black dresses and white aprons who only knitted their eyebrows from what I can remember of them grin

It was mum who knitted everything when I was a baby/toddler/young child. I have a studio photograph which had been taken at 9 months old wearing a knitted dress. Pity I hadn't been smiling, though I wasn't a smiley child.

glammanana Wed 28-Oct-20 11:42:07

My nana always knitted our school cardigans every year and mittens with matching scarf's she always seemed to have a set of needles in her hand.
Mum did all our dresses with matching ribbons for Xmas and Easter the three of us always had the same every year.

Alioop Wed 28-Oct-20 11:45:02

Between my granny and my mum knitting it's a wonder our knickers weren't made of wool. Dolls were even kitted out with a new wardrobe on Christmas morning.

Kim19 Wed 28-Oct-20 11:45:46

Non stop socks for me. Alternate grey and navy. Sometimes she branched out and put a school colour rim around the top. I loved them. Cosy as heck. Daresay I took her talents for granted as a child. Lovely Granny.....

icanhandthemback Wed 28-Oct-20 11:46:35

Not very pc now but my Nan knitted me the most gorgeous Gollywogs. She also made me felt ones and I had the Peter Rabbit characters she made too. She used to wear the most fantastic arran knitted suits which were amazingly stylish and all hand made. I'm afraid when I knit, I always drop and add stitches with gay abandon and I was always having to go round to my mother to put it right. I am quite hopeless.

Rosina Wed 28-Oct-20 11:47:30

As the youngest of two huge families I never knew my Grandmothers as one died long before I was born and the other when I was two. However, I had a dear Aunt who knitted for me; she was possibly the best knitter I have ever come across and could create beautiful garments with intricate designs in no time. Sadly, she was also a lady of very economical ways, and would present me with a tiny, pygmy sized jumper, and three balls of wool, that I could 'use for something else.' Presumably another tiny jumper to give to the little girl next door!

PECS Wed 28-Oct-20 11:50:42

Nana was a seamstress and Grandma did crochet.. so no knitting. I have followed in their footsteps and can sew and crochet but although I can physically knit stitches I can't make them into anything useful!

The loopy hat in the OP is similar to one I crocheted for DD1 in rainbow yarn. with matching mitts & boottees and a pram blanket!

Luckygirl Wed 28-Oct-20 11:52:08

A lovely cream jumper with Mary Mary picture knitted in. I have a photo of me feeding Grandad's chickens whilst wearing it.

Elusivebutterfly Wed 28-Oct-20 11:56:41

My Grandma didn't knit for me but my mother knitted all my jumpers and cardigans until I was around 12. I used to help her with holding the wool to be wound into a ball when small. When older I used to do some of the knitting for my father's and brother's jumpers, leaving her to do the complicated bits.
My mother was also a good dressmaker.

twinnytwin Wed 28-Oct-20 11:58:31

Neither of my Nanas made anything for us (twins) but our Mum was a great knitter, sewer and did embroidery. She passed her skills on to my twin sister and I, but our younger sister had no interest. Mum also made pewter bowls and pictures. She passed away at age 93 a few months ago and many of her embroideries and metalwork have been passed round the family. I also paint watercolours and draw and I'm asked to draw and paint my GDs and GNs which is an absolute pleasure - I also knit and sew for them. I've always got a project on the go - just like Mum.

EllanVannin Wed 28-Oct-20 12:03:43

I remember having lots of different colour jumpers and cardigans which mum knitted in her favourite stitch---blackberry. She churned them out like a factory belt in progress. Knitted dungarees for brother.

1placidsue Wed 28-Oct-20 12:04:33

My Nan made me a multicoloured poncho at my request ( don’t laugh..they were a thing back then?‍♀️?) I loved it and I can remember standing over her saying ‘please do one more row today’while she was knitting it!!

Oopsminty Wed 28-Oct-20 12:10:01

vampirequeen

Every autumn Grandma would knit me a new hat for winter. It was always a loopy design in the most disgusting shade of green. I had to wear it all through winter and wear the previous year's to sleep in.

Did your Grandma knit you things?

That picture of the hat had me trembling!

I had one, not knitted by anyone I know, but it was so itchy!

I can still feel the prickles as I fiddled around with it.