Gransnet forums

Chat

Effing fireworks.

(114 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 30-Oct-20 19:27:46

Great.
As if we don't have enough to make our lives difficult.
The fireworks have started.
Around her the damned things will pretty much be a constant from now until mid-January.
Poor, poor dogs; cats; birds and small pets; wild animals; farm animals; farmers; people with babies and young children; people with dementia; people with PTSD etc etc etc. angrysadenvy

MissAdventure Sat 31-Oct-20 11:52:25

I don't see anything wrong with families having a "bonfire night" as we did when we were little.
It is a shame for pet owners, though, when they're so frightened.

Dee1012 Sat 31-Oct-20 11:53:57

I have no objection whatsoever to families enjoying NOV' 05th either in their gardens, or at organised displays.
I can settle my pets and cope with that.
However in my area, they've been going off for the past 4/6 weeks. A few nights ago I could hear them at nearly 11 p.m!
Absolutely no care or consideration for anyone..angry

3nanny6 Sat 31-Oct-20 12:04:33

Families with young children do enjoy displays, although our local ones have all been cancelled. I have not heard too many fireworks going off thank-goodness as my dogs do not like the noise. I have already got my plug in phermones to calm dogs plugged in and a spray that you just rub into the chest. The spray really has a good effect on one of the dogs and she does not run around in fear.
We have had four days of rain where I am and it is forecast rain until next Tuesday, so that should keep them in over the weekend. The worst fireworks are Diwali and New Years
Eve they go off like bombs and should be completely banned.

Paperbackwriter Sat 31-Oct-20 12:11:48

I love fireworks! Right now I'd love to see loads of them as a big cheer-up and a short display of defiant joy. I do have a cat, but she is completely unfazed by the loud bangs. Animals in towns have to put up with all sorts, surely? Police sirens, planes, helicopters, cars backfiring.

eazybee Sat 31-Oct-20 12:16:53

I too love fireworks and bonfires and have fond memories of childhood bonfire nights. None of our cats were troubled by local fireworks; it seems to be dogs who are scared, or possibly their owners, who at the same time can never understand why anyone should be nervous of their dogs.

4allweknow Sat 31-Oct-20 12:18:20

whitewavemark2 I spent a fortune on all the different types of plug ins, cds of loud noise and fireworks to try to calm my dog during firework season and nothing worked. The dam things should be banned other than official organised displays. Can't understand why we still celebrate an attempt to murder someone!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 31-Oct-20 12:21:13

I too had a cat who loved fireworks and would spend hours on New Year's morning on the window-sill where she could see the fireworks.

I joked that she had been one of Napoleon's artillery men in a previous life.

I can't help feeling that completely silent fireworks might be dangerous. How would someone know they had gone off. I can just see a banger whizzing around silently at ground level.

But it should be possible to make them quieter, and to enforce regulations regarding when you may buy them.

Alioop Sat 31-Oct-20 12:46:10

Nipped out shopping at teatime last night and got home before 7pm to my poor dog shaking like a leaf. Surprised they had started so early in the evening or I would of stayed home with her. Went on for hours and I'd TV blaring to try to drown the noise out. I've tried everything with her and it doesn't work plus she has epileptic seizures at times with them. Also people complaining about having no money, but they can waste it on bloomin fireworks. Priorities!

Namsnanny Sat 31-Oct-20 12:46:10

I always said when I die I would be cremated and then packed into the biggest loudest sparkley firework I could buy!
Have a party and let it off!!!
(I think they want to put a bomb under me sometimes anyway, so they get their wish - every ones a winner?!!)
??✨?

Jane10 Sat 31-Oct-20 13:04:12

I would hate to distress any animal in such a way. angry

leeds22 Sat 31-Oct-20 13:14:46

Hi Spangler, like you I used to throw penny bangers and Jumping Jacks. Now hate fireworks, having realised how dangerous they were. The nuns at my Catholic school couldn't understand when we moaned about getting homework on 5 November.

Nanny27 Sat 31-Oct-20 13:21:03

4allweknow. I don't think we are celebrating trying to murder someone. The point of bonfire night is the celebration of the bringing to 'justice' the murderers who were attempting to assassinate the King and so commit treason.

NfkDumpling Sat 31-Oct-20 13:36:06

I love fireworks. I always have - but quiet ones. They never used to be as earth shatteringly loud as they are now, even the bangers the boys threw at us. Why do they have to be so LOUD?

Our old dog was gun-shy, which as a springer from a game keeper was probably why he was for sale, but he had no fear of fireworks. There was no large displays near us so we would have a small display in our garden with a few neighbours and picked pretty ones rather than loud ones. He even got used to the bang ones. That was probably because we had a bonfire with potatoes baking in the ashes and burgers and sausages and other nice things which the children fed to him.

Has anyone tried sausages as a cure for firework fear?

MissAdventure Sat 31-Oct-20 13:38:59

Putting one in each ear?? smile

cookiemonster66 Sat 31-Oct-20 13:53:51

I am still gobsmacked that the law allows the general public to buy explosives and 'trust' they have common sense when using them!?! Am sure A&E departments around the UK will agree with me!

boodymum67 Sat 31-Oct-20 13:56:14

when are they going to ban the public sale of these lethal incendiary bombs?

So many folk have said for years, that they should only be sold to official groups for public displays.

Terrifies my dog.

Maltagozo Sat 31-Oct-20 14:52:27

In this day and age Fireworks should be banned but I don't suppose it ever will be as to many people are making a lot of money out off it and to hell with people's poor pets and youngsters getting hurt! If Fireworks must be around then ban them from public sale and just have public displays by professionals and how do some of these families afford the damn things have you seen the cost?

Froglady Sat 31-Oct-20 16:16:46

Fireworks here started well over a month ago and I thought that was all right until I realised that it was still September and we had all October to get through; since then it's been pretty much every night.

Callistemon Sat 31-Oct-20 16:27:37

There was an enormous bang just now and birds flying away in haste.
It's not 5th November yet.

Toadinthehole Sat 31-Oct-20 16:29:59

Most of the time it’s illegal as well. So annoying ?

Rosina Sat 31-Oct-20 16:31:25

Caitlin Moran had an excellent article in today's Times, putting a case for silent fireworks. Why do we need them to BANG? They are pretty and quite spectacluar, so why do they need to be noisy too?

Rosina Sat 31-Oct-20 16:32:23

'Spectacular. I can spell but not type.

Lioness68 Sat 31-Oct-20 16:40:31

Jane - a fellow TOG, I quite agree.

Jane10 Sat 31-Oct-20 18:27:31

It was so funny as Terry told us how the fireworks displays were starting and spreading from Hong Kong onwards. They were breathtaking and no pet was frightened!

Tallyann1 Sat 31-Oct-20 18:33:01

I believe Sainsbury’s have stopped selling them.. let’s hope the rest follow suit or at least not sell them until the day before...