Gransnet forums

Chat

Sean Connery

(109 Posts)
Kalu Sat 31-Oct-20 12:32:06

I have just heard the very sad news, Sean Connery has died.

trisher Sun 01-Nov-20 17:46:15

Parents were the landlords Annie.
Oh I do BlueBelle and the methods and ends used to protect them by teachers sometimes. Their inability to leave and go to a shelter because their entire extended family is housed on the one estate and if she leaves he will punish them. Doesn't mean there are no violent women around. As I said I understand why they believe their boy must learn to fight.

Galaxy Sun 01-Nov-20 17:32:47

No of course not. I havent worked with vulnerable families for 30 years, I have never had to be part of decision making to remove children from violent homes. Its all kittens and rainbows here.

BlueBelle Sun 01-Nov-20 17:21:27

.....And with respect maybe you know nothing about abused and beaten women trisher

Anniebach Sun 01-Nov-20 17:04:27

What was a 7 year old doing in a pub ? Being working class there with his mother ?

trisher Sun 01-Nov-20 16:42:03

Some women expect their sons to be "hard", withdraw affection at an early age, encourage fighting to solve an argument and stand cheering their son on as he fights with another child. I realise that most of you won't have encountered these women and I really don't blame them. It is incredibly difficult to raise a boy who will have to survive in a culture where violence is the norm. Until you've had a 7 year old tell you that last night a man had a snooker cue broken over his head in the local pub you probably know little about the violence in some lives.

GrammarGrandma Sun 01-Nov-20 16:33:19

Can't stand James Bond!

NannyC2 Sun 01-Nov-20 15:55:10

Out of all the 'Bond's' I liked him the best RIP

Alioop Sun 01-Nov-20 15:19:34

A handsome man right to the end.

paddyanne Sun 01-Nov-20 15:09:06

I only pinponted working class abuse because it was what I heard of from my GM ,she didn't work with women from any other backgrounds and it was women whose hubands worked in factories and shipyards who hit their wives that my GP helped.I know it happened and still happens in other walks of life .even now .
The women they worked with were in the main uneducated and didn't expect anything else ,they had no say in any part of their lives and chastisement for overstepping their "place" was the norm .I'm sure there are well documented cases of this and I know there were very basic refuges for women in Glasgow.In fact I remember seeing photographs of the poor sould in one refuge which was little more than a hovel .
I have never excused wife beating ,just explianed it was learned behaviour .
Surely Jane 10 there are millions of Scots living in other countries who still love Scotland ,even some on here .They may have left because they had no choice for work or relationships or because their parents took them when they went.Doens't diminish their feelings about being a Scot one little bit.There are many IN Scotland who are happy to be ruled by English based parties are we to imagine their feelings are more relevant ?

Anniebach Sun 01-Nov-20 14:59:03

‘she asked for it ‘ ? ?

BlueBelle Sun 01-Nov-20 14:46:56

I m so glad you are so sure it only happens in working class families trisher
I m going to leave this thread now I ve said enough and I m getting cross and I don’t need to get cross on a Sunday afternoon
If you choose to excuse it and ignore it and wrongly make out it only happens in one bit of society I feel sorry for your closed eyes
I ll leave you with trisher s classic
“and the reality of how women contribute towards it” and there we have it folks
Enjoy your hero

Galaxy Sun 01-Nov-20 14:40:17

She made me do it. Said every mra always. Cracking job on the feminism though.

Galaxy Sun 01-Nov-20 14:36:22

Dear god trisher.

Maidmarion Sun 01-Nov-20 14:34:17

He stayed at my house in 1963. I lived in a pub which did B and B and he stayed the night, supping whiskey with my dad (also a Scot) until the early hours! It was just before Dr.No came to our local cinema so we didn’t appreciate his ‘star quality’ at that time lol

Harris27 Sun 01-Nov-20 14:30:23

Even my son text me with the news saying he was one of his favourite actors.

Riverwalk Sun 01-Nov-20 14:28:38

and the reality of how women contribute towards it

shock

Jane10 Sun 01-Nov-20 14:25:50

Trisher he made much of his 'Scottishness' but didn't bother to even come here much. It was just PR spin. Not impressed.

Anniebach Sun 01-Nov-20 14:23:22

It’s the woman’s fault trisher ?

trisher Sun 01-Nov-20 14:12:19

Sean Connery for an actor was a private person. I object to anyone male or female being condemned because of one speech on a talk show or one failed marriage. So all those accusing me of condoning violence can just get stuffed. I simply know what happened in some working class families, what still happens in many, and the reality of how women contribute towards it. If you have taught a boy from the earliest years that he has to be hard you shouldn't be surprised if he is unable to adjust his thinking when it comes to women. (Although actually some men do). Or if it takes him some time to change the habits he has been taught in childhood.
As has been said his support for Scotland remained strong throughout his life. Perhaps he chose not to live there and pay taxes because his money would be taken by the Westminster government and he preferred it to go directly to Scotland.

4allweknow Sun 01-Nov-20 14:07:22

No other Bond matched Sir Sean. Looks, voice, presence, he had them all in those films.

Riggie Sun 01-Nov-20 13:48:57

Always sad when someone dies although I was never a fan really. He had some good roles but watching a montage of his films on the tv news last night confirmed that he just played himself in all of them!!

Jane10 Sun 01-Nov-20 13:43:25

Just because most of us don't hit others doesn't make us perfect. Sean Connery was a film 'star' not a great actor nor necessarily a wonderful person. He was 90. He had a good innings. As a 'professional Scot' he chose to live elsewhere. Nuff said.

Mollygo Sun 01-Nov-20 13:38:26

My favourite Bond. I’m not a great Nond film fan, but he made it worthwhile having to watch it, where some of the other Bonds were an excuse to do jigsaws instead.

Daisend1 Sun 01-Nov-20 13:18:26

Pantglas2
The eyes would say it all..Who needs words wink?

BlueSky Sun 01-Nov-20 13:02:17

Paddyanne
“Nice to see so many perfect folk on here though !”
Agree!