Gransnet forums

Chat

What's your favourite perfume?

(119 Posts)
FlyingHxndbag Sat 31-Oct-20 20:21:18

Hi all,
It was my birthday today and I got the Ariana Grande Thank U Next perfume as my cousins had it, and it's absolutely divine. It's my new favourite.
I also love Gucci Bloom, Alien and Black Opium although I've never had them.
What about you? X

BBbevan Sat 05-Dec-20 06:25:23

Thank you ladies. I have found a sample of Mitsouko on eBay. Only £3:20, so that will give me some idea. I am sure I wanted to wear this perfume when I was younger but never got around to buying it. I look forward to trying it .

BradfordLass73 Sat 05-Dec-20 05:17:05

BBbevan
My father bought me Mitsouko when I was about 18 and I loved its flowery fragrance. Top notes are rosey with a hint of jasmine and lemon but there's a deeper, sort of cinnamony aroma underneath, not so strong as to overcome the flowers though.

I was going to suggest you go into a very good store and try a spray on one of those paper strips but then, how it smells on that and how it reacts on the skins of individuals is quite different.
I wore Mitsouko until my father died. Did you know it was first put on the market in 1919?

I nowwear Gucci 'Rush', or sometimes the cheap and cheerful classic, Charlie Blue.

phoenix Sat 05-Dec-20 05:11:37

BBbevan

Thanks phoenix not suitable for a young girl 17-18 then ?

Depends on the girl! I started wearing it in my twenties.

grannyrebel7 Fri 04-Dec-20 21:02:00

La vie est Belle - Lancombe, but I never go anywhere to wear it now!

emmasnan Fri 04-Dec-20 20:41:52

Miracle by Lancome is lovely and one of my favourites. I also have Coco and Tresor.

BBbevan Fri 04-Dec-20 20:21:29

Thanks phoenix not suitable for a young girl 17-18 then ?

Woodmouse Fri 04-Dec-20 20:12:13

Chanel No. 5 for me. I was given a small bottle when I got married 35 years ago and now whenever I smell it I'm 20 years old again.

phoenix Fri 04-Dec-20 19:58:30

BBbevan

Does anyone wear Mitsouko. ? Or can tell me what it smells of. I want a character in a book I am writing to wear it but am unsure if it will suit her personality.

I absolutely love Mitsouko, was so much my perfume! Unfortunately Mr P doesn't care for it at all!

Made by Guerlain, it's one of their very long running fragrances, along with Shalimar, I believe.

It's definitely not what you could call a light floral, it has depth and is very distinctive.

BBbevan Fri 04-Dec-20 19:50:26

Does anyone wear Mitsouko. ? Or can tell me what it smells of. I want a character in a book I am writing to wear it but am unsure if it will suit her personality.

CanadianGran Thu 03-Dec-20 06:14:35

I am wearing White Tea by Elizabeth Arden for day. Every day, for me! For going out in the evening I wear Zen Secret Bloom by Shiseido.

I have changed out my daytime fragrance over the years, but have used a few versions of Zen since the early 1980's

Greendress Thu 03-Dec-20 00:53:46

Lime Basil and Mandarin - JM ...Daytime Chanel No 5
Chanel Chance
Guerlain L'Instant
Guerlain Mitsouko

BBbevan Mon 02-Nov-20 13:00:34

I like light citrusy perfumes. Jo Malone, Lime, Basil and Mandarin is along term favourite. I have to leave the room if someone is wearing Youth Dew. I find that very intrusive and cloying .

SueD Mon 02-Nov-20 12:39:14

Rive Gauche from Yves St Laurent.. I have been wearing it for more years than I care to remember. Fancy a change as I think my skin has changed since Ive got old(er).

Nightsky2 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:43:17

‘Miricle’ by Lancôme for daywear if I’m going out to lunch or somewhere nice.
‘Samsara’ by Gurlain for evening. I also like ‘Miss Dior’ and Rochas ‘Femme’.

tickingbird Mon 02-Nov-20 11:31:26

Chanel 19 and CK Eternity. Strong perfumes eg Opium, Poison and suchlike I can’t stand. Another, very popular one, I dislike is Angel by Thierry Mugler. I don’t like foody type scent - vanilla, chocolate etc.

b1zzle Mon 02-Nov-20 11:25:49

Me too, Tweed and Red Door for most days - L'Air de Temps by Nina Ricci for special days.

EllanVannin Mon 02-Nov-20 11:19:22

I have Tresor on at the moment as it's ideal for an everyday, doing the household chores perfume, without being over the top or dressy. It's just a pleasant uplifting clean smell.

Alishka Mon 02-Nov-20 11:13:02

Currently,ie today!, wearing Calandre by Paco Rabanne.
It's bringing back memories of travelling to Singapore to meet my new grandchild. First bought it at Duty Free in Dubai, en route.
My bottle of Chanel No5 reminds me of the cancer treatment I had - there was a programme called Looking Good Feeling Better, where top cosmeticians,etc. donated products and I was given that.
And yes, Ma Griffe reminds me of Mumsmile
Strange how evocative perfumes/smells are, isn't it?

Dee1012 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:54:09

I loved Sicily by D&G but it's very hard to obtain now.

My current favourites are
Agent Provocateur,Calvin Klein Obsession and Glow by JLo.

adam88 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:47:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nexus63 Sun 01-Nov-20 21:46:08

my favourite perfumes have always been panache and coty l'aimant, i am 58 and have been wearing these since i was 18, panache is sometimes hard to get, i get loads of perfume samples from freebie websites, i bag them up and hand into the foodbank with other toiletries.

Grannynannywanny Sun 01-Nov-20 21:43:31

sparklingsilver28 it was my Mum’s favourite in the 60s. I remember she used to get frustrated that the little dipstick didn’t fully empty the bottle near the end. So to be sure she’d had the full benefit of it she’d use the empty bottle with the lid off it as a drawer freshener

sparklingsilver28 Sun 01-Nov-20 21:35:37

Grannynannywanny

COTY L’AIMANT
Little black bottle with pink dipstick anyone?

That brings back wonderful memories. The first perfume as a twenty year old in 1958.

sparklingsilver28 Sun 01-Nov-20 21:25:41

For Spring: Patou "Joy", Summer: Hermes "24 Faubourg", Winter: Chanel "Coco". All classic French and still as beautiful and chic as ever.

MissAdventure Sun 01-Nov-20 21:03:21

That sounds exotic. smile