Gransnet forums

Chat

Kate Garraway is ‘amazing’

(24 Posts)
Bluebellwould Mon 02-Nov-20 10:46:07

I’m sorry to say that the conversation between the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Kate Garraway has irked me somewhat. They said she was amazing going through the trouble with her husband, like she was some super hero.
What about the rest of us, no one has told me that I was amazing when I nursed my husband for 7 years before he died. I know I’m not the only one of us on here that has done and are doing the same thing. Most of us without the large income that she enjoys either.
Whilst I am sorry that she is going through this, the constant dribble of stories about him/her/the children and how it affects them is a very demoralising read and I am sure adds a lot of stress to people who get corona, thinking will I be affected the same way.
I do not understand the benefit to her for publicising this so
much, apart from the milking of sympathy and the admiration for being so brave. Why do people need to live in the public eye so much? Phillip Schofield is another one that springs to mind.
Rant over, thanks for reading if you got this far.

Jane10 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:57:06

That's showbiz for you. Staying in the public eye is important for those who make a living by it. However, she's in a horrible situation and it was nice of the Cambridges to be kind to her. I suppose it's symbolic. They can't possibly phone every person looking after a sick family member.

Spangler Mon 02-Nov-20 10:59:40

Just don't go there, if it's on TV, switch off, or over. If it's in a newspaper, turn the page, same on line, just ignore it. There's someone in my social group who is like a dog with a bone about my wife and I being childless. He sent me a text this morning with a link to an article on the secret of looking good at 50. Not having children.

The irony of his message is that he hates The Daily Mail with a vengeance, the article was in the Mail on line. I simply deleted it. No doubt he will text me later to ask what I think about that article. If he does I shall just ignore it.

Compliments to you for nursing your husband, you may not have been seen in the public eye, but there again, that wasn't your agenda. You know that your late husband left this world being cared for by the wonderful lady that had been by his side throughout life. Draw comfort from that.

MayBee70 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:06:16

I think it’s important that people do realise how ill you can be with the virus and people need to be told about it even if it does stress them out. I actually admire Kate Garroway immensely for the way she is handling her husbands illness. Having said that I do understand how annoying it must be for people that are caring/ have cared for people with long term conditions.

annsixty Mon 02-Nov-20 11:38:32

She isn’t actually looking after him physically as so many of us have done for sometimes long periods of time.
However she does have young children to cope with, they must miss and worry about their daddy most of the time and that is all down to her to deal with.
I hope he makes a recovery.

MawB2 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:46:07

I don’t think admiring someone for coping with long term or life limiting illness in any way diminishes ones own efforts, circumstances or grief.
There is no hierarchy of treating an ill DH, there are no prizes or medals.
We are all heroes, we are all amazing ?????

Galaxy Mon 02-Nov-20 11:57:27

I think she seems a really nice person and I am sad she is going through this.

Oopsminty Mon 02-Nov-20 12:16:38

She's a fixture on the Breakfast Show. All the media is talking about is Covid. She is bound to express her opinion. People will ask her how she's coping.

Just like our circle will ask us how we are coping when dealing with traumatic situations.

I think she's amazing actually. She could have decided not to bother with work but she's carried on and has helped many people who have phoned in.

Today, her much loved 20 year old car was stolen from outside her home. VickyVolvo.

To earn as much as she does and drive around in a battered old Volvo shows she's down to earth and I wish her well.

It's unlikely her husband will ever be back to total normalcy but she's plodding on

I join Kate and Wills in calling her amazing

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Nov-20 12:16:59

Spangler we're child free, not child less smile

merlotgran Mon 02-Nov-20 12:26:27

I found KG's recent interview with Joe Swift on Gardener's World very moving. She talked about the shock of her husband's sudden deterioration and how getting her children interested in gardening during Lockdown helped to take their minds off the day to day awfulness of the situation.

I hope there is a happy outcome for them all.

EllanVannin Mon 02-Nov-20 12:35:36

It's a terrible thing to go through all these months and she'd have found it more difficult had work not helped her. Like us, some days will be better than others but I bet she finds that she has to "put a face on " most of the time for the sake of her children, friends, TV appearances and also for her own benefit as this is what you do when having to face public and family.

For all the wealth etc., they still have to go through the same sadness and fear and no money can cure that feeling of the unknown. I'd say that she's trying her hardest and I wish her well.

dragonfly46 Mon 02-Nov-20 13:30:32

Well said Maw.
It is not about being amazing or courageous or any of those things coping with your own or a partner's illness. You just get on with things the best you can without thought.
It is true we are all amazing!

Witzend Mon 02-Nov-20 13:37:26

‘Amazing’ is such an over-used word now.

What really was amazing this morning was finding a spaceship and some little green aliens in our back garden. I said so sorry but I couldn’t invite them in for a cup of tea, since we’re tier 2 - the virus, you know - so they said Oh, dear, so sorry to have bothered you, and took off again.

Blossoming Mon 02-Nov-20 13:38:13

I just don’t read stories about Garraway, Schofield, etc. I don’t find them particularly ‘brave’ or ‘inspirational’.

Beechnut Mon 02-Nov-20 13:46:15

I would not like anyone to tag me with that word for doing the things I did for my husband. I loved and cared for him and that’s all that matters to me.

Oopsminty Mon 02-Nov-20 13:48:58

I think it's because in her job she has to question and remain polite to people who think Covid is a hoax and over hyped etc etc

I think she's pretty amazing to be able to continue being polite and professional

As for Philip Schofield. Can't be doing with the man .

Blinko Mon 02-Nov-20 13:49:54

Beechnut

I would not like anyone to tag me with that word for doing the things I did for my husband. I loved and cared for him and that’s all that matters to me.

In that sense, humankind is amazing. Including KG.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 02-Nov-20 13:53:09

Merlotgran I too saw her on Gardener"s World and think the same of her.

Seeing how she copes perhaps would help others in a similar situation seek solace being in their garden or perhaps another activity to fill their days.

She gets my praise as I would say the same to others who have someone still in hospital or recovering at home.

There can't be many in her position. Her husband caught it in March, still in hospital (7 months) and only recently said his first word.

M0nica Mon 02-Nov-20 17:49:03

Bluebellwould Did nobody ever say anything complimentary to you when you were looking after your DH? Normally people around someone who is caring tell them how wonderful they are all the time.

I am sure that Kate Garraway is not going out to get publicity for her current situation, but when people are in the public eye their domestic situation often attracts attention whether they want it or not, and KG has a husband who has been in intensive care for months, 2 children, who are also affected by their fathers illness and a career she has to keep going because she is the only bread winner as her husband was self employed.

Yes, other women are in the same position, but isn't good that someone like this is getting news time because it draws attention to all the others also dealing with similar situations.

Millie22 Mon 02-Nov-20 17:58:44

I also saw her on 'Gardeners World' and found it very moving. She spoke of how the garden had helped her to cope through the difficult times. Although a totally different situation my garden helped me with lockdown.

Callistemon Mon 02-Nov-20 18:00:42

merlotgran

I found KG's recent interview with Joe Swift on Gardener's World very moving. She talked about the shock of her husband's sudden deterioration and how getting her children interested in gardening during Lockdown helped to take their minds off the day to day awfulness of the situation.

I hope there is a happy outcome for them all.

I saw that too and felt admiration for her and the way she is helping her children to come to terms with their father's illness and the fact he may not survive this. Because she is in the public eye I think she is an inspiration to all who are trying to cope under difficult circumstances.

That takes nothing away from those who care for and nurse loved ones - unsung heroes all.

MissAdventure Mon 02-Nov-20 18:02:17

I don't find her story at all demoralising.
I think she's down to earth, incredibly grateful for the care her husband is receiving (he's the most long standing covid patient) and I admire her resilience.

That doesn't take anything away from anyone else. There's room for most people to have acknowledgement for their strength in times of adversity.

welbeck Mon 02-Nov-20 20:57:00

goodwill and positive encouragement is not like a pie, all used up if a larger slice is served to one person.
that's one of the advantages of it being immaterial.
in fact much of what we value most is.

Callistemon Mon 02-Nov-20 20:59:11

goodwill and positive encouragement is not like a pie, all used up if a larger slice is served to one person.

Very true, welbeck