Gransnet forums

Chat

Which stores do you miss?

(118 Posts)
Grandmabeach Tue 03-Nov-20 13:18:47

Sadly many businesses will probably close because of Covid but which ones do you miss from the past? Woolworths? C&A? Dolcis? to name a few.

yogagran Sun 08-Nov-20 18:23:28

Edinburgh Woollen Mills sad

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 07-Nov-20 14:18:29

Jane10 Has Jenners closed now? I know it was rumoured when I was there in January - Loved that place!!
I also miss the Wonder of Woolies!! You just don't find such a comprehensive stock of bits and pieces like Woolies had.

BelindaB Sat 07-Nov-20 14:16:33

Woolies, every time! Impossible to replace because no other company does thier range of goods for those prices....

And you could always get good wrappings and cards from them, right up to Christmas Eve!

Georgesgran Sat 07-Nov-20 14:10:28

Before we were married, DH had an evening and weekend job at a petrol station in the Green Shield stamps era, when he had to go out and fill up the cars in all weathers. Most customers were reps who just told him to keep the stamps for himself, so he started to put them in a bottle under the counter. I think we had enough for quite a few things - seem to remember a complete set of Tower pans.

boodymum67 Fri 06-Nov-20 13:02:41

BHS..Huddersfield lost their`s about 3 years ago.
I loved their Christmas gifts and spent a lot in there

Tweedle24 Fri 06-Nov-20 12:01:59

Woolworths. When my cousins and I were small, grandfather used to take us with him when he collected his pension on a Wednesday afternoon. He then took us into Woollies where he would buy treats for us. I built up a big collection of classic children’s books — all the What Katie Did series, Children of the New Forest, Lorna Doone, Secret Garden ............. I could go on. I think I remember them being 2/6 each.

Froglady Fri 06-Nov-20 11:50:07

Does anybody recall the name of the 'posh shop' in Lincoln? It was ? and ? and was just by the Stonebow. We used to buy all our material we needed from there. A lovely shop. We also had a posh furniture store called Waring and Gillow - memories coming flooding back of the shops in the various places I have lived over the years.

Froglady Fri 06-Nov-20 11:46:25

Spangler

Come on, own up. How many went into the Green Shield showroom armed with books of saver stamps?

I did! and you could also get 'pink stamps' from something or other.

jerseygirl Thu 05-Nov-20 16:56:56

BHS especially at christmas.

Llamedos13 Thu 05-Nov-20 03:47:31

Any one remember Robinson and Cleaver in Belfast? I still have a wool blanket bought from there in 1971. It was a very posh department store two doors up from C and A, loved shopping there for clothes in the 60ies.

mistymitts Thu 05-Nov-20 02:54:41

I will risk giving my age away now, Biba! Anyone else remember?

grannybuy Wed 04-Nov-20 23:33:45

The city centre used to be full af groups of young girls shopping on Saturdays. This doesn't appear to happen now, sadly.

grannybuy Wed 04-Nov-20 23:29:46

Benetton. I loved their cardigans. I'm wearing one right now. Some I have are quite old now, but have washed and worn well.

Grandmafrench Wed 04-Nov-20 22:44:11

I was a Woolworth Saturday girl. Oh what fun we used to have. Another vote for the missing Hanningtons store in Brighton and House of Fraser in Hove. You just cannot beat a department store in the centre of town - shopping malls are not the same thing at all.

I used to love Biba, East, Laura Ashley and the Habitat shops, as well as all the stores now gone from London's Oxford Street, and many years ago- Mothercare.

Grandmafrench Wed 04-Nov-20 22:34:21

MissAdventure

I used to like C & A clock house label clothes.
I have a nice crochet dress from there, which is too tight.
Like a 6lb of sprouts in a 1lb net bag, when I last tried it on.

I've just snorted half my hot chocolate hearing you tell it like it is, MissA - please promise you'll never take a job as a personal shopper. grin

Alexa Wed 04-Nov-20 22:22:49

I miss the shops from my girlhood. Jenners, C and A's. Nostalgic reasons . Now I like shopping online.

marpau Wed 04-Nov-20 21:27:06

I used to love woolco in Oadby which was a larger Woolworths usually just outside cities. Probably the first out of town shopping centres. It was huge all on one level always went before Christmas then mum and dad would go back when we were at school and buy the toys we had liked.

icanhandthemback Wed 04-Nov-20 21:19:29

British Home Stores for the women's clothes and lighting, C&A's for bargain clothes, Woolworth's for their Ladybird stuff and The Golden Egg for those moments when you want some junk food to eat but don't want to cook it!

Saggi Wed 04-Nov-20 20:41:53

I miss Richards...... C&A’s....and even Woolies, where us teenagers could buy our records when we had a few Bob to spare.

Froglady Wed 04-Nov-20 20:30:11

Marshall and Snelgrove in Leicester I remember as well, and either John Lewis or Lewis's in Leicester, both in the 1950a and 1960s. I recall the Christmas displays there as well. There was, I think, maybe a sort of creche where children could be looked after while parents were shopping.

Froglady Wed 04-Nov-20 20:24:13

I miss Borders the book shop. It was a two storey building and had loads of books and music and a coffee shop. I used to go to a book group each month there and it was brilliant : good books, good coffee and a lovely social gathering. That was in Preston. I actually live in Blackburn and the only book shop we have now is The Works. W H Smith closed down after lockdown. There are a few charity shops but nothing else. I had to travel to the Trafford Centre on Monday to buy a book token for my great nephew's birthday as that was the only place I knew that I could park very close to Waterstones.

Shizam Wed 04-Nov-20 20:04:43

Woolies. And Biba! Couldn’t be more different but both so brilliant in their own ways.

Grandma70s Wed 04-Nov-20 18:50:54

I bought my wedding outfit at the Regent Street Dickens and Jones in the 60s, a beautifully elegant cream dress and coat.

We called C&A ‘Cheap and Awful’, but it was a joke. Everybody bought things there.

Coopers in Liverpool, in Church Street. Oh, the smell of coffee! I think I would describe it as a rather upmarket grocer.

MrsDally Wed 04-Nov-20 18:41:20

Catterygirl

I had a Saturday job in Woolworths selling shampoo sachets and sanitary towels.

Shampoo sachets! That brought back memories.

Scrumptious Wed 04-Nov-20 18:36:52

Ooh terrific memories of my shopping days in London
Whitelys of Queensway, Barkers High St Kensington Fenwicks of Brent Cross, Selfridges & can't leave out Harrods but mainly in the years before they franchised lots
all now gone or changed so much
I stick to JohnLewis now the best of what's left