Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else suffer from lockdown cravings?

(59 Posts)
dontmindstayinghome Thu 05-Nov-20 16:15:07

Am I the only one who gets cravings when lockdown begins?

We are still only a few hours into this 2nd lockdown and already I want cake!

I rarely eat cake and I certainly don't usually get cravings for it (I do get cravings for crisps and occasionally chocolate though)!

I love to bake but always give away any cakes and biscuits as it invariably goes to waste but here I am craving coffee & walnut cake, or moist ginger cake or even plain sponge cake!

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Nortsat Sat 21-Nov-20 11:42:43

I would like to go out to a lovely, old pub which overlooks the river, for lunch.

I would like to go out for dinner to somewhere Michelin starred, with white linen napery and handsome waiters with French accents.

I would like to sit in the dining room of a nice hotel, with a view of the sea and eat a ‘hotel breakfast’.

I would like to drink champagne somewhere beautiful.

A custard tart isn’t going to be the answer for me...

travelsafar Sat 21-Nov-20 11:26:17

I love to bake but as there are only us two and no visitors i dont. We would both pig out and we both need to watch our weight. Such a shame as baking is such a nice thing to do and fills the house with wonderful smells. I dont even make mince pies any more as only i eat them, the kids can take or leave them, they would rather have something savoury. So now i buy just two from the bakery shop in our town and savour every bite. One i have with cream the other i eat by it's self.

Anneishere Sat 21-Nov-20 10:30:02

In a nutshell YES! grin I have put so much weight on too!

Alioop Sat 07-Nov-20 12:55:46

I always buy cooking apples when going to bake them. Where I used to live there was loads of apple trees around and neighbours left bags of them on doorstep, I think as a hint lol, and I used them. Maybe some were eating, but again not sure. Hope you like them as much as we do.x

hereshoping Sat 07-Nov-20 07:49:27

Bounty bar packs were on offer a couple of weeks ago. So I bought one and then next week I bought another. They are not on offer any more but ....

Marydoll Fri 06-Nov-20 20:40:11

Auntiflo, we are simpatico! grin

Auntieflo Fri 06-Nov-20 20:22:51

Thanks Alioop, feel a bake coming on tomorrow.
I was also going to ask the same question as Marydoll, but I do have either sort.

Marydoll Fri 06-Nov-20 20:19:55

Alioop Would eating apples work? I have a load and trying to think what to do with them.

Alioop Fri 06-Nov-20 20:05:52

Auntieflo they are so easy to make.
200g S.R flour, rub in 100g Marg then add 100g caster sugar. Dice up 2 Bramley cooking apples and add to mixture. Bring all together with an egg and put into a greased tray baking tin. Into oven 180' for 20 mins or until golden brown. I dust with either caster sugar or a mix of caster sugar and cinnamon. You can even add a drop of cinnamon into the mixture before baking. Cut into fingers or squares. Done!

mokryna Fri 06-Nov-20 17:33:45

Many years ago when I lived in Beijing, I craved after cheese. Before moving there I didn’t like it. Madding. My daughter used to come over every school holiday with some in a suitcase. It did smell and walk out once, when the airline lost the case for a few days.

Jennyluck Fri 06-Nov-20 16:50:47

Did someone mention coffee and walnut cake ???? Now your talking ???

Jellybean345 Fri 06-Nov-20 16:25:44

Simples !No baking no get fat.Once somethings lurking in that cupboard /tin it won’t stay there for long keeps being pestered until Houdini’s been!Only two of us.Pheet!Gone!How far can trouser elastic stand it?

Witzend Fri 06-Nov-20 15:44:08

Ha, @lemongrove, we have the same brand of dh! I make 2 dozen at a time, and once they’re cool enough he’ll scoff half a dozen within about 15 minutes.
Admittedly I’m a ? for them too, but not to quite that extent!

Marydoll Fri 06-Nov-20 15:40:34

Its upthread! ?

JanT8 Fri 06-Nov-20 15:38:43

Please may I see the Mars bar recipe too ? X

schnackie Fri 06-Nov-20 13:56:17

I gained two stone in the first lockdown, lost one of them, and now fighting carb urges so I can lose the second one! However I have really been craving cake lately, and may have to give in over the weekend and bake a bit. Thankfully I have neighbours I can give most of it too!

Musicgirl Fri 06-Nov-20 13:31:53

For me it was hot cross buns and chocolate cookies l craved in the last lockdown. I am intermittent fasting at the moment and no worried about them at all now. Strange.

wetflannel Fri 06-Nov-20 13:29:50

My downfall is I love baking and I love eating. Oh dear my poor vanishing waistline. Hey ho there is always the New Year to start a diet. Mars bar cake Mmm mm, got to try that.

henetha Fri 06-Nov-20 13:05:42

I'm another one for custart tarts. I don't normally eat them due to being borderline diabetic, but keep craving them lately.
So I went to Tesco and bought two. Ate them both in five mintues with a cup of tea. Heaven..
Now I want some more...

Auntieflo Fri 06-Nov-20 12:55:56

Marydoll, thanks for posting the recipe for your Mars Bar Cake. Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Sodapop, and FannyCornforth, will be happy now.

(I didn't want to go ahead without permission) ?, and I have been out all morning, and just got back half an hour ago.

I did make some more yesterday, and while it's in the fridge, out of sight, I am not tempted.
Happy mixing and making to you all.
Alioop, your apple slices sound moreish, and what with mention of Coffee and Walnut, and Ginger cakes, I want to bake some soon.

Dowsabella Fri 06-Nov-20 12:55:48

Thank you, Marydoll thanks. It sounds amazing. I hope you don't mind, but I've added it to my recipe collection suitably attributed to you. I have a trip to Aldi planned this afternoon..... wink

Roxie62 Fri 06-Nov-20 12:50:51

Yes. I am eating cake and I never normally eat cake as regularly as I am now. I stopped drinking alcohol in Oct and carrying on in November to try and lose weight but thats not working due to the cake eating. I especially love home made lemon cake. Yummy.

Keeper1 Fri 06-Nov-20 12:26:12

I am craving being on a Jamaican beach

FannyCornforth Fri 06-Nov-20 11:14:36

Thank you Mary. Sounds delish.

Moggycuddler Fri 06-Nov-20 11:11:04

Mine was custard tarts a while back. Now it's Jaffa cakes.