Gransnet forums

Chat

Gifts for men

(19 Posts)
watermeadow Mon 09-Nov-20 06:15:48

I’ve done the research for you and here are the Christmas gifts your men are after, according to Not On The High Street’s 550 suggestions:
Wallets and bags
Bracelets
Personalised items with dad and child
Anything involving beer or steak
Grooming, golf, grub
Socks
I have 8 man presents to buy and not one of them would want any of the above. Tell me 8 prezzies costing about £40.

tanith Mon 09-Nov-20 08:05:30

Favourite football team shirt is one thing the men/boys ask for in my family.
Good bottle of favourite tipple.

Jaxjacky Mon 09-Nov-20 08:21:47

Magazine subscription (I’ve done Gardeners World for two male friends)
Computer game
Golf balls/club protectors
Books, sports etc

Georgesgran Mon 09-Nov-20 08:22:51

The chaps I buy for actually tell me what they want, so that works out well and I know the gift is then used. So, SIL makes a list of books/dvds and I pick a selection from it. DD2 gets the rest. Nephews get ‘smellies’ of their choice and I’ll round those up with chocolates and a bottle. Small males get a Waterstones or WHSmith voucher to make their own choice.
Of course this might be a strange Christmas, involving the Man from Amazon.

LullyDully Mon 09-Nov-20 08:24:23

My son is into cycling so we are getting him a high viz top which is all singing, all dancing according to his partner , whose advice I sought.

Grannynannywanny Mon 09-Nov-20 08:25:22

Aftershave
Craft beer
A nice set of darts (if they play)
Sweater
Hoodie
Woolly hat and gloves
Gift voucher for barber shop
Voucher for favourite takeaway
A small radio controlled car

J52 Mon 09-Nov-20 08:27:54

Depends on hobbies, but Adult Lego - quite hard skylines of major, world cities.
Themed items to do with hobbies, for example gardening- top notch equipment such as pruning gloves, pruners. A collection of seeds from for the summer.
A collection of themed books such as Who done It’s and a game of Cludo.
For walkers, a new flask, map holder, walking socks, gaiters. Book on new walks.

Lucca Mon 09-Nov-20 08:45:12

My bloke and I stopped buying each other presents......in normal times we have a meal out or a trip away, a visit to the opera etc instead.
One DS is in Sydney so no point buying him stuff (apart from his 40th when I flew out to surprise him!). Other DS I either pay for a meal out and babysit or get him golf clothes.

Whingingmom Mon 09-Nov-20 08:50:57

Techie things?
Such as electric/rechargeable corkscrew, powerbank, phone charger, amazon echo, games.
Subscription or food delivery - cheese, chocolate etc.

JackyB Mon 09-Nov-20 08:58:27

(for when lock down is easedsmile A whisky tasting?
A voucher for a pair of walking boots?
Smaller things:a book, a DVD, a meal out?

Perhaps you should ask. If they're not interested in beer, food or sport, it does rather limit the choice. Do they do DIY?

JackyB Mon 09-Nov-20 08:59:28

I knew if I typed a colon and a close-brackets it would make a smiley of it!

Sar53 Mon 09-Nov-20 09:06:26

My DH is a nightmare to buy for. He only reads on his Kindle, for his birthday I gave him a £50 voucher so that he could buy as many books as he likes. He has wardrobes full of clothes. He loves football, rugby, formula one but there is nothing there that I could buy him. He likes good quality shower gels etc but there are only so many you can put in the bathroom cupboards.
I have absolutely no idea what to buy him for Christmas, any ideas gratefully received !!!!!

Nortsat Mon 09-Nov-20 09:18:13

I have asked family members of the men I buy for. In previous years I have bought sheepskin gloves, a hip flask, funny socks and a key ring.
The answer came back this year ... Amazon vouchers. That’s easy.

Someone bought me an Amazon Voucher recently for my birthday and I can’t find anything I want to spend it on ...

Lucca Mon 09-Nov-20 09:32:51

Sar53

My DH is a nightmare to buy for. He only reads on his Kindle, for his birthday I gave him a £50 voucher so that he could buy as many books as he likes. He has wardrobes full of clothes. He loves football, rugby, formula one but there is nothing there that I could buy him. He likes good quality shower gels etc but there are only so many you can put in the bathroom cupboards.
I have absolutely no idea what to buy him for Christmas, any ideas gratefully received !!!!!

See my post ?!

Sara70 Mon 09-Nov-20 09:37:16

My father age 77 and still fully fit is like many men who love technology especially Alexa activated Wifi lighting. I am always amazed by how he has set up my parents house so that all the heat and lighting is switched on and set to the appropriate levels just by voice commands. When I am staying over there as we go to bed he or Mum just says "Alexa good night" and all the heating and lighting throughout the house is turned off and the bedroom lights come on. On getting into bed I just say Alexa turn off bedroom two, and again lights are turned off in my bedroom, wonderful.

As said, many men now seem to be into the above type of thing, so a couple of wifi light bulbs or plugin switches could be a good present consideration for the OP?????

Kittye Mon 09-Nov-20 10:06:29

Sar53 we stopped buying each other presents years ago.
Donations to our favourite charities now. At Christmas we give a donation to our local homeless charity. We used to make a donation to Crisis at Christmas but these last few years we decided to go local. At our age we have all we need why waste money on things we don’t really need.

Rosalyn69 Mon 09-Nov-20 10:29:00

My son provides a list. My husband has no suggestions. I do buy them both a hat and then struggle.
When my son was small I did adopt a penguin for a year at the zoo and he loved that getting pictures and stuff and trips to the zoo to see “his” penguin. He still remembers that.

grumppa Mon 09-Nov-20 11:15:50

Wine or whisky, please!

NotSpaghetti Mon 09-Nov-20 12:54:04

Men in my family have recently wanted homebrew items both beer and wine, a shovel, spade and (expensive) drill attachment, a Dyson animal, those colour-changing "mood" lighting systems, whisky, weighted bedspread, books, new wallet, cash towards a garden shed, garden tokens, a big easy-care houseplant for the study, a rug, an electric desk!...
One wanted some framed prints - those had to be discussed - and another wanted a decent reading lamp.

Some of these are do-able.