Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Chewsday

(6 Posts)
Jane10 Wed 11-Nov-20 17:46:38

Thanks Megs36. It wasn't that young! I was one of the Waspi women who lost out on 6 years pension, in my case I missed the crucial date by 3 weeks! Luckily I have an occupational pension which I paid as much as poss into so I could get my freedom at 60. Woohoo! All set to enjoy it if it wasn't for this coronavirus. ?

Megs36 Wed 11-Nov-20 17:18:31

Jane that’s young! Hope it was a good one.??

Jane10 Wed 11-Nov-20 16:23:41

Thanks Rufus2 but this is the magic birthday that gets me my pension at last so I'll need to count it!

Rufus2 Wed 11-Nov-20 14:00:28

a bothy is a bothy and pronounced as such
Jane Are you sure? You could be right, being a native of the area, but Michael P. seemed to know what he was talking about, having just interviewed a wee Scottish gentleman (why are they always 'wee'), who was introduced as the Guardian of all the bothies. He called them "botties", but the rough dialect could have distorted the sound. hmm
Btw; belated Happy Birthday (?9th?)
Not to worry; 2020 has been a non-year so you don't have to add it to your tally! grin
Good Health wine wine wine
OoRoo

Jane10 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:57:00

Rufus2 a bothy is a bothy and pronounced as such. A botty is something else altogether!
Glad you're enjoying the weather. Dense fog here today. I'm hibernating and recovering from my birthday yesterday. Lunch out in a cafe at Saughton Gardens with the family and very thoughtful gifts. I may have overdone the chocs last night.

Rufus2 Tue 10-Nov-20 12:58:09

There's nothing to be embarrassed about, it's common for men in that age range to have trouble achieving an election.

Phew! What a lovely day; Max was 32C, now it’s 28C indoors at 10pm, with more of the same tomorrow, but being Melb. rain and thunderstorms at day’s end! Hope it’s sheet lightning!
Spent this evening with Michael P. in East Scotland, starting off at the Capital and progressing by rail up to Aberdeen.
He wan’t dressed so flamboyantly, maybe dour goes with the territory; certainly no kilt or tartan trews and he even wore a beige jacket at one stage.

But if for any reason you want to know all about “Bothies” (pronounced Botties, I think!), then I’m your man! Pretty rugged accommodation, comprising 4 walls and a roof and no outside, or inside toilets; no need I suppose with all that rugged scenery to ponder.
Not even a mini-bar.
They are precursors of our modern pandemic tracing system, provided visitors left a note of their visit in the event that a search party was needed should the weather turn nasty, as it probably does frequently!

Glen Eagles seems to be a nice place for a stop-over; as before at the Peninsula hotel in H.K. Michael had the whole bar to himself watching a Scottish lass shaking up his cocktail. I guess your licence fees pick up the tab! grin

A 2021 wall calendar arrived today from a friend in Windsor. Every year we agree that the postage distorts the value of the present and we should think of something more convenient.. He obviously wanted to get in early even though it took 55 days by sea-mail . Stamps were 2x1st. and 2x2nd. class; no idea what that represents in cash
Calendar cost £5

Thought I had another early Christmas present today; it was in a way; a free upgrade modem for the desk-top PC, without me even asking!

Freda is OK, full of amps and raring to go; thought of fitting her out with voice control, but we both prefer hands-on; more personal! smile
Not pumping iron just yet due to long lay-off causing muscle-wastage.
The bottle-shop has a stout called “Hat Lifter”. so a case might not go astray! hmm

Please to say we have now reached 11 straight days with no new Covid-related Cases or Deaths

Take Care,
Good Health wine wine wine
OoRoo