Gransnet forums

Chat

The new way of banking ...

(22 Posts)
fevertree Thu 12-Nov-20 09:13:10

My AC have for some time used "no branch" banks, like Revolut or Monzo, especially useful when travelling abroad, because there are no charges when paying on the cards and they find it great for e.g. money transfers when holidaying with friends and a 'kitty' is needed.

I read about one of these new banks over the weekend, I couldn't help but be impressed by Anne Boden the CEO of Starling Bank, who started it at 60. (Perhaps GN could get her on here for a Q&A.)

Fed up with modern finance and Britain’s broken banking system, Anne Boden decided there was only one thing to do: set up a bank that ran in the way she wanted it to.

www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/08/its-crazy-but-i-set-up-my-own-bank-the-story-behind-starling-anne-boden-ceo-interview

Do any Gransnetters use these new banks? I'm thinking of opening a Starling account, I'm tired of banking in the old-fashioned way with my high street bank, when you can never contact a living person on the phone anyway! I held on for 45 minutes last week and then the person I spoke to couldn't help me after all that, directed me to their website. Gr. I think the new banks are app based only.

Pittcity Thu 12-Nov-20 09:30:07

I have a Starling account for the free spending abroad but also have one with Metro Bank which is the best of both worlds. Metro has excellent online/app banking but also has branches that are open long hours 7 days a week and are only closed on Christmas Day and Easter Sunday. You can go in and open an account, they will set up your online banking and print your cards there and then.... No waiting for passwords in the post. There is even a machine for loose change that doesn't take a percentage.
I'd recommend both Starling and Metro.

Hetty58 Thu 12-Nov-20 09:38:29

I'd be quite happy with a bank without branches. I haven't stepped inside a bank for decades, always online or phone calls. I haven't used a cheque book for ages either. Do they still exist?

MiniMoon Thu 12-Nov-20 10:01:21

Fortunately cheque books do still exist Hetty. If we are out when the bin cleaning man calls, he leaves his bill. They don't accept cards of any type, so we put a cheque in the post. Very old fashioned isn't it?

I have a question. If you only have an Internet bank account how do you get cash?
Or, do you only use your card?

M0nica Thu 12-Nov-20 10:08:12

I use cheques to pay subscriptions to all the local Societies I belong to. Most of these are too small to be allowed to operate direct debits.

Currently an elderly friend I shop for gives me cheques each week as she does not do electronic banking and even the DVLA, when they refunded some car tax on a car we sold, sent us a cheque. I also have a peripatetic fishman who asks to be paid by cheque.

Cheques certainly still feature in my life.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Nov-20 10:22:51

I never use cheques but bank transfer.

I have banked on lines for years.

dragonfly46 Thu 12-Nov-20 10:26:10

You can draw cash from any bank machine

Oopsminty Thu 12-Nov-20 10:26:12

I haven't used a cheque for years. Can't remember the last time I used one!

I have a question. If you only have an Internet bank account how do you get cash?
Or, do you only use your card?

Just use the ATM with the card

GrannySomerset Thu 12-Nov-20 10:31:50

Lots of small traders cannot justify or afford the cost of accepting cards, and local clubs and societies also prefer cheques. I know the banks want us all on line but there are still too many stories of problems and accounts being hacked so I am still wary. We have used First Direct since it was set up and can talk to a helpful and intelligent person on the phone, though it does take longer for calls to be answered than it used to.

Rainwashed Thu 12-Nov-20 10:33:54

Good point about how do you get cash, if your bank doesn’t have branches. However I presume you can use other bank’s machines, which I think you can anyway ( don’t have to use one provided by your own bank), although the bank that owns the machine may charge you to use it. Would be interested to know if I am right here.

Grannynannywanny Thu 12-Nov-20 10:40:23

I’ve had a Santander account for many years. After much encouragement from my AC I eventually registered it for online banking. So easy to use. I can dip in and out and monitor my account any time I want. Their customer service dept is very easy to access by phone. I phoned recently and spoke to a human within 5 mins.

Santander also have a credit card with no fees for spending overseas. I still have a cheque book if the need arises.

MaizieD Thu 12-Nov-20 10:41:12

My blacksmith will only take cheques or cash (nothing dodgy about this, he does it because its more straightforward for accounting reasons). So I still write out a few each year.

@Rainwashed
You can get cash at any ATM (but watch out for ones that charge, avoid if at all possible) or at the Post Office, using your card.

Baggs Thu 12-Nov-20 10:59:17

You can pay a cheque into your bank online now.

I hadn't been into a bank for many years until a couple of years ago when I took some cash out of an ATM outside a bank, got issued with Scottish notes, which my daughter can't use in Derbyshire (well, technically she can but local shops won't accept them) so I went inside and asked for them to be changed to English notes.

Cashier said she couldn't do that because all withdrawals have to be recorded. I explained that I'd already made the withdrawal and just wanted English notes that my daughter would be able to use in Derbyshire.

Cashier still insisted she couldn't do it then there followed this exchange:
Her: Do you have an account with this bank.
Me: Yes.
Her: Where?
Me: Oxford. [I was in Scotland, as you might have gathered].
Her: Sorry, I.....
Me: I'll just have to get the money out in England next time then. Gotta go or I'll miss my train. [Train station right across the road].
Her: Well alright then.

Me: Thank you. I appreciate it.

And (to myself) ?

Baggs Thu 12-Nov-20 11:00:33

The well alright then comment was accompanied by her handing over English notes and taking my Scottish ones.

annodomini Thu 12-Nov-20 11:25:01

Our small town has been left without banks, but there are ATMs in Waitrose, Aldi, and the Co-op, as well as the Post Office. None of these charge extra for use. Cheques can be paid in at the Post Office.

Jaxjacky Thu 12-Nov-20 11:45:26

Grannynannywanny I too bank online with Santander, I recently took out a bond with them, filled in the online form, email sent to me, they wanted a cheque to pay the money in! I actually rang them to make sure, cue hunt the cheque book and done, but I was most surprised.

sparklingsilver28 Thu 12-Nov-20 12:08:38

Read the article and Ann Boden an inspiration to all women.

fevertree Thu 12-Nov-20 12:53:29

sparklingsilver I agree. smile

The banks I mention are different to online banking (that I do already). These new ones seem to operate via card and app only.

Grannynannywanny Thu 12-Nov-20 15:39:06

Jaxjacky that does sound an odd way for them to go about it!

fevertree Thu 12-Nov-20 16:33:21

What's a cheque? grin

Pittcity Thu 12-Nov-20 17:09:39

You can get cashback at most supermarkets when you pay by card. I prefer to do this rather than use an atm.
Haven't used a cheque in yonks. Even small annual fees are standing order. If somebody has an account that they pay your cheque into then you can pay by online transfer, no cards or direct debits needed.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 12-Nov-20 18:28:30

I use the Metro bank and the only time I have been into their building was when I opened my account. This was very simple and I left the bank with everything I needed, debit card, online banking set up and everything I needed including a cheque book. I get cash from any ATM, free spending in Europe and the few cheques I have received I take to the Post Office and they bank it. They offer a great service.