Gransnet forums

Chat

Heated throws part 2 - the scam!

(35 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 15-Nov-20 09:08:00

Having first read about heated throws on GN I thought one would be an ideal present for DD. I got Googling, found one at a reasonable price and ordered it: a double size, soft, fleecy, silver grey throw it looked just what I wanted. The website was very informative with lots of 5 star reviews from people in the UK. It was the number 1 UK choice. My order was acknowledged and a Royal Mail tracking number sent.
My first concern was when the promised 24 hour delivery didn't happen. I emailed several times to no response. Finally, an item was delivered more than 2 weeks late. It was a luminous pink, stiff, mat with a dodgy electric cable attached. No paperwork. Chinese writing on the label. I'd been done!
Needless to say I've been on to my credit card company and they think I'll get my money back. Apparently, good websites can be cloned.
I've now ordered another throw from John Lewis.
Beware out there on the Internet ladies - there's sharks out there!

Jane10 Fri 04-Dec-20 11:17:21

I've been Internet shopping for years. This is the first time I've been let down. The fake website was up at the top of the Google list, was 'UKs number 1' supplier of heated throws and the website content was exactly the same as the real supplier. They must have just lifted all the photos, reviews and T&Cs from proper websites. It was lucky I didn't spend more. At least I've been refunded.

MawBe Fri 04-Dec-20 10:17:09

I am Britain’s most convinced internet shopper and lockdown simply reinforced that BUT I am careful to buy only from reputable sites, JL, Lakeland and the long river company who have proved excellent at returns. Clothes websites like Joules, White Stuff, Seasalt and Woolovers are also reliable and secure.
Might I also recommend QVC (download the app - you don’t need to watch it on TV if that’s not your thing.) Their big advantage is a guaranteed no questions asked 30 day returns policy, currently 60 days - and items can be used, worn, washed and tried out in every way.
Internet shopping has to be savvy internet shopping!

25Avalon Fri 04-Dec-20 09:40:08

Thank goodness you paid with your credit card Jane10. Although that sounds like hassle you have a good chance of getting your money back. What a disappointment though waiting all that time for your parcel and then it’s trash. Thank goodness you’ve had time to order another one from a known reputable company. I’ve reached the point that I only try to order from companies I know - I always fuss that I have to have a password but I can see why.

MrsThreadgoode Fri 04-Dec-20 09:28:16

It seems to me that it would be helpful if GN could provide a ‘beginners guide to online shopping’ for people who are just dipping their toes into it.
I’ve been shopping online for many years and I know to only go to well known name sites, Amazon have always been very good at refunds, but I only ever buy through their Prime sellers and never directly from China.
But I stick to the main stores, such as Next, JLewis, Lakeland, MS.
There are very few real bargains online that I feel comfortable buying, because they are foreign or I feel they are too good to be true, if I can click and buy with confidence then I don’t fret that the item wont turn up and be what I ordered.
eBay is more difficult because they are allowed to use ‘stock pictures ‘ of something they are selling rather than a picture of the actual product, so unless we are collecting and paying cash for something I would never spend more than £20 on there.
TBH if I want something but can’t afford the prices then I don’t get it. There are too many so called ‘bargains’ out there, that are not what they seem. Id rather wait until I can afford to buy either locally or with a trusted name.

Jane10 Thu 03-Dec-20 22:19:30

Update! My credit card company has temporarily refunded the money. The email said that they'll continue to try to contact the company (good luck with that!) and may subsequently withdraw the refund but if I haven't heard back from them by February I can assume that won't happen.
What a palaver. The credit card company didn't make it easy. They must be fed up with these cloned websites and mugs like me who thought they were genuine.

Ohmother Mon 16-Nov-20 09:36:35

petra

OldWoman70
Don't believe all you read on Trustpilot.
www.seotraininglondon.org/can-you-trust-trustpilot/

WOW! This made interesting reading. I suspected Airydress or Airycloth had something dodgy with Trustpilot when Trustpilot kept asking me to prove I had actually bought from the companies or they would remove the reviews. They did this constantly and I eventually had to block emails from Trustpilot.

I fought and threatened Airydress with media exposure and said there was no way I would pay postage to return misrepresented goods. If I ordered a dishwasher and received a wheelbarrow I wouldn’t pay return postage. I got ALL my money reimbursed and a prepaid returns label. I also took lots of photos even of me handing it over to the post office in case they said I hadn’t returned their rubbish.

Jane10 Sun 15-Nov-20 15:22:48

The one I've ordered from John Lewis is also on the Lakeland site. I went with JL as I've bought from them before and I know they're OK. For all I knew the Lakeland site could have been as dodgy as the one I bought from! (I'm sure it wasn't but I've lost my nerve buying from somewhere new to me)

Dottynan Sun 15-Nov-20 13:04:27

I bought my heated fleece from Lakeland and would thoroughly recommend it. Still looks new and is quality in every way. Don't forget we are being asked to be locally whenever we can

lemsip Sun 15-Nov-20 12:20:57

Damensein was recently on Bbc Rip off Britain! a lady showed pictures of what she thought she ordered and then what arrived!..........

DanniRae Sun 15-Nov-20 12:19:39

I started the original Heated Throw thread but decided in the end not to purchase one but if was to get one it would be from Lakeland. I first got the idea from a Lakeland leaflet that was in a magazine (I think). I have bought many things from Lakeland through the years - by mail order or from their shop in my local shopping centre and find their customer service excellent.
Sorry to hear about your troubles Jane10 - I hope you get your money back.

Hetty58 Sun 15-Nov-20 12:10:44

cupaffull, those ads on the side really got on my nerves. I installed Adblock Plus (it's free) so, thankfully, I don't see them anymore!

EllanVannin Sun 15-Nov-20 12:00:39

This is a most disgusting practice which is probably so world-wide that you'd never trace the real culprit at the back of it all.
There's nothing worse than being fleeced/ hoodwinked by these sharks who are laughing all the way to the bank.

Sadly we'll see more of it as the economy suffers and people's jobs on the line. It's going to be more and more difficult to find a company who isn't all out to rip the customer off ,with money at a premium with many.

petra Sun 15-Nov-20 11:41:14

Cupafful
All theses snide Chinese companies are owned by the same man.

petra Sun 15-Nov-20 11:37:57

OldWoman70
Don't believe all you read on Trustpilot.
www.seotraininglondon.org/can-you-trust-trustpilot/

cupaffull Sun 15-Nov-20 11:20:40

Damensein keeps changing its name...look at the advert on the right of this page and you have "Irisruby", which is the exact same company.
I dont know why Gransnet HQ dont ditch these charlatans. Their stuff is Chinese rubbish!
On Amazon, often the locations of the companies are hidden but their long delivery dates give the game away. Delivery can be as long as a month after purchase.
I've written to Ebay because it disgraceful that sellers can claim to be in the UK and actually be in China.
On Ebay, again look at long delivery dates and also at the bottom of the listing, see where the sellers contact details are given.
No UK seller should have delivery dates longer than a week.

Hetty58 Sun 15-Nov-20 11:16:54

A lot of (not all) Chinese origin sites are now running scam practices. Yes, they'll send you something (anything really) eventually - just so that they can prove it was delivered.

I always use PayPal (they're very helpful) and I'm instantly suspicious of anything that appears to be much cheaper than other choices.

For security, I'll pay (through PayPal) by credit card for anything over £100.

Recently, I'm making an effort to try to buy British, or failing that, European.

BlueSky Sun 15-Nov-20 11:13:57

Yes some have depots in the UK which was lucky for us as we could return the recliners via courier at an acceptable price. The names are often British German or Italian sounding ones.

Oldwoman70 Sun 15-Nov-20 11:11:51

It is very easy to be taken in by these websites - after all their sole aim is to get your cash.

When visiting a new website I always check Trustpilot reviews. With Amazon I look for who it is being sold by. If you click on the name it takes you to the address of the supplier - again I also check Trustpilot reviews.

Blossoming Sun 15-Nov-20 11:05:15

There’s a lot of these sites springing up, you have to be so careful nowadays.

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 11:02:05

I think it was an extra busy time, Grannynannywanny.

Had it been more expensive I would have persisted. He did do most of the puzzle before he gave in (with much muttering). It was a lovely picture of Sydney Harbour.

Grannynannywanny Sun 15-Nov-20 10:57:19

That’s disappointing to hear Callistemon. The very few times I’ve had to contact them by email over the years, I’ve always had prompt service. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 10:52:08

I ordered a puzzle from Amazon for DH Grannynannywanny. It took a while to come, the parcel was squashed and bashed and the puzzle itself was made of such thin card the pieces wouldn't stay in place. The writing on the package was Chinese although it wasn't apparent on Amazon that this was the country of origin.

I had no luck in getting a refund or even getting through to Amazon at that time (during the long lockdown) but the numerous firms offering the same puzzle were all taken down a while later.

It was less than £15 but very annoying all the same.

NanaandGrampy Sun 15-Nov-20 10:49:44

There’s a current scam on Facebook . It can be any brand name product but considerably cheaper. Lots of reviews etc etc. What turns up is something totally different for instance a glass cleaner instead of a heat press.

This happened to me. I paid by PayPal and although I got my money back eventually I had to jump through lots of hoops to do so - unfairly I thought as it was obviously a scam.

Grannynannywanny Sun 15-Nov-20 10:44:55

I know many don’t like Amazon but to be honest it’s the only place I feel safe to shop online. Also their customer service is excellent if anything throws up a problem and needs returned.

Elegran Sun 15-Nov-20 10:35:10

I don't know where it is based, but the name makes it sound German. German quality of manufacture is usually good - perhaps that is why the name was chosen.