Gransnet forums

Chat

Does O'Connor died today

(22 Posts)
Chewbacca Sun 15-Nov-20 09:38:56

I was very sorry to see that Des O'Connor died today. I really enjoyed seeing him on tv; I always found him hugely entertaining, he had a good singing voice (despite Eric Morecambe teasing him about it) and was much loved and admired by those who worked with him. In my youth, I queued for ages to get his autograph after seeing him on stage, and he seemed genuinely delighted to meet us. RIP Des.

Auntieflo Sun 15-Nov-20 09:43:48

DH just told me the sad news. I liked his voice.

(I expect he will put on the LP ? soon.)

Charleygirl5 Sun 15-Nov-20 09:48:19

I am also sorry to hear that he has died. I keep forgetting that people like him age as we do! How old was he? I will ask Alexa.

Grannynannywanny Sun 15-Nov-20 09:51:13

Sorry to hear that. He did look rather frail the last time I saw him being interviewed. I always enjoyed seeing him on various programmes. I liked him on Take Your Pick. I didn’t realise he was 88.

merlotgran Sun 15-Nov-20 09:51:56

He was great when he joined us on Gransnet for a webchat years ago. Really entered into the spirit of things and answered all the questions with his usual self deprecating humour.

I'd done a bit of research before I asked mine and discovered he'd been a support act for Buddy Holly's trip to UK. When I queried it, Des replied, 'How dare you. That was my Dad!' grin

RIP Des

Beauregard Sun 15-Nov-20 09:52:27

He was 88. I liked him, he reminded me of my dad.

Alima Sun 15-Nov-20 09:52:58

He was 88 Charley. What a lovely man he was. Well remember him being the stooge for Morecambe and Wise. He seemed to get along with everyone, so talented. Saw him with Jimmy Tarbuck about 4 years ago, they were very funny. Thanks for all the laughs Des, RiP.

Elizabeth1 Sun 15-Nov-20 09:53:29

Rip Des and deep condolences to your family and friends I liked seeing your cheeky wee smile.flowers

Mapleleaf Sun 15-Nov-20 09:54:22

Yes, sad to hear this. He seemed a genuinely nice person, and brought laughter to many.

Kate1949 Sun 15-Nov-20 10:07:16

He was a part of our youth. Nothing but good things being said about him today. RIP Des.

Blossoming Sun 15-Nov-20 10:09:15

A thoroughly decent person, RIP Des,

EllanVannin Sun 15-Nov-20 10:15:44

Poor Des, yes it's sad news as I liked the man. He was funny and above all could laugh at himself, a rarity today. Always smiling, just a very pleasant character. RIP lovely man.

mamaa Sun 15-Nov-20 10:19:43

Sad news- he was my mums favourite- I vividly remember being embarrassed at buying his LP at Christmas for her as a teenager and trying not to be noticed- its a fond memory.
A friend sent me this link- it’s Des with Morecambe and Wise, Mum and Dads favourite double act. Bitter sweet memories watching it...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqn2lnx9SbI

Patsy70 Sun 15-Nov-20 10:21:25

Such sad news. A lovely man, great entertainer and brought joy to so many people. RIP, dear Des. Condolences to his family and friends.

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 10:30:50

Sad news
He will always be remembered for his self-deprecating humour; he was a great entertainer, popular and professional, bringing joy to all ages. My Mum loved his songs, too.

RIP Des

Sarnia Sun 15-Nov-20 10:33:51

He always took it in good part when Eric Morecombe called him Desperate O'Connor.

BlueBelle Sun 15-Nov-20 10:36:13

Seemed a thoroughly nice man he was 88 so had had a long and very useful eventful life let’s rejoice in that

Nana3 Sun 15-Nov-20 11:31:29

Thanks for the link mamma , brilliant.
RIP Des.

sodapop Sun 15-Nov-20 13:20:52

Everyone had a good word for Des O'Connor, as BlueBelle said a thoroughly nice man. I loved his shows with Morecambe and Wise as well.

downtoearth Sun 15-Nov-20 13:31:15

I loved his naughty twinkle,and the way he used to collapse into giggles,another part of my childhood gone RIP Des

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 16:22:29

mamaa thank you for the link
I enjoyed seeing it again

12Michael Mon 16-Nov-20 08:32:08

A person I enjoyed watching on TV , never saw him live , I fi i did it would have been at seaside pier show.
His roots are in Northampton where I gather he was brought up .
Miss his performances ,
Mick