Gransnet forums

Chat

Another vacuous thread! Tenuous Claims to Fame

(700 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 14:23:18

The more tenuous and obscure the better!
My aunty went out with the bloke who designed * both*
A) the Cadbury's Chocolate Orange packaging, and
B) Buzby, the British Telecom mascot

Beat that Gransnetterssmile

henetha Wed 30-Dec-20 10:15:25

My post is on page 27, FannyCornforth. Apparently the Howard family, the Dukes of Norfolk.

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Dec-20 10:12:31

henetha and nadateturbe
Apologies, I can't find henetha's post. To whom are you related? Thank you!

henetha Wed 30-Dec-20 10:09:48

Thanks nadateturbe. It's been verified, apparently.
It's very fascinating to know who our ancestors were.

Catterygirl Wed 30-Dec-20 08:50:31

How could I forget? Sat on the next table to Sir Alan Sugar and his family. He was very quiet.

Catterygirl Wed 30-Dec-20 08:46:52

I did get close to the Queen when she came to the Baltic Exchange. We were allowed to leave our desks to greet her. Roger Moore, got in OH's car. OH had to tell him he was not his chauffeur. He was charming. Driving in Kensington late at night, he stopped at a traffic light next to Princess Diana, who smiled. I once sat on the next table to Chris Jagger in Queensway. Walked behind Nigel Havers in Fulham. He was on his phone. Said hello to Chris Eubank in Fulham most days. OH asked for a photo with Rod Stewart outside the Dorchester hotel. Rod said he had to pop inside but would return in 5 minutes. Half an hour later, he was nowhere to be seen. On the way to the Ladies in the Dorchester, I bumped into Naomi Campbell and she wasn't best pleased, but had amazing legs. Saw Brendan Cole and Anton du Bec at television studios and they seemed great mates and fun.

joannapiano Wed 30-Dec-20 08:40:56

My mum went out with one of the Dam Busters during WW2.

nadateturbe Wed 30-Dec-20 06:41:39

Interesting post Henetha
I keep meaning to do some research.

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Dec-20 05:29:21

Catterygirl go on, you can join in, the voting has closed. Anyway, the title didn't put a lot of people off - there were mentions of the Queen and all sorts of bragging and boasting! I had to step in a few times, not that it made any difference!

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Dec-20 05:26:49

Do you still have Old English Sheepdogs MrsJeeves? I didn't realise how beautiful they were until I saw them with their hair cut. Are they very intelligent? My little dog looks like a tiny OES, especially during the proper lockdown when the groomers were shut!

MrsJeeves Tue 29-Dec-20 20:27:25

Fanny, I think the early Dulux dogs were fairly prolific, our girl had many cousins and other relatives, so my claim to fame was very tenuous!

Catterygirl Tue 29-Dec-20 17:47:23

What a great thread. I have decided not to add as most of my meetings haven't been tenuous. Live in London so too many to mention. OH was a chauffeur to VIPs.

12Michael Tue 29-Dec-20 10:40:57

In my youth , in my first job working for the MoD in mid 60`s , met Ian Gillan who lived in Bicester ,and joined Episode Six who performed at Christmas party at work , some members including Ian became Deep Purple .
I also had the pleasure of through work again , she worked in the office side but once a week we attended a a day release education course in Oxford , but became chatty with her ,and that was Pam Ayres prior to her joining the WRAF as it was , she also turned up at work when on leave in WRAF uniform , some years later I wrote to her wen she did local radio in Oxford , as i was asked a her to do a poem for a bar we had when working in Oman , she replied and said in reply " I think I know you"
Mick

Zeddy Tue 29-Dec-20 10:27:16

I was at school with Duncan Goodhew

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Dec-20 10:26:03

Sorry, posted too soon, I'll have a look for it. I think someone knew the dog.
Mind you, there must have been a fair few Dulux dogs. I wonder if they were all from the same kennel?

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Dec-20 10:24:00

MrsJeeves there was another Dulux dog claim!

MrsJeeves Tue 29-Dec-20 10:16:54

I'm late to the party, but we once owned a dog who was the granddaughter of the original Dulux dog!

Smurf44 Mon 28-Dec-20 23:18:14

In 1997 I won a competition and Gary Lineker presented my prize - an enormous cheque for a long weekend at Center Parcs. After the presentation I was taken out to lunch with Gary and 4 other ladies. I remember he didn’t have a sweet, but pinched a chocolate flake from another lady’s dish! ? ?

etheltbags1 Mon 28-Dec-20 19:48:03

I met that bloke who plays cadfeil, can't remember his name. He was involved in a charity do I was helping at

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Dec-20 19:25:35

sazz1

My friend and I were hitch hiking in 1970 and Elton John gave us a lift in his posh car

Did you have a chat with the great man? Where were you?

mphammersley Mon 28-Dec-20 19:21:13

My DS was on WWTBAM and I was in the audience. He was also on tipping point.

MissAdventure Mon 28-Dec-20 17:07:13

Ilovedragonflies

I ran over Reg Varney's foot with my baby's buggy. He was queueing behind me in the chemist and was a bit too close as I turned to leave. (I had no idea he was there until he said ouch and hopped up and down!)

grin
I love this!

sazz1 Mon 28-Dec-20 11:30:01

My friend and I were hitch hiking in 1970 and Elton John gave us a lift in his posh car

mpk Mon 28-Dec-20 11:14:54

I delivered Papers to Roger Moore in Stanmore when I was a youngster and he was in The Saint, I got a tenner for my christmas box, very big money when I was 14 in the 60's, he was lovely, Dorothy Squires his then wife could never find the heart to say hello.
Max Bygraves had a restaurant in Stanmore and was a cheery soul and spoke to anyone he saw, I used to travel on the train and meet Rupert Davies of Maigret fame most days, he was a lovely man and used to tell me stories of filming, he always wanted to keep the car but couldn't. I also sat next to a very drunk and unpleasant Georgie Best on a mercifully short flight from Manchester to London.

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Dec-20 11:01:39

Ilovedragonflies unfortunately you are a couple of months late, but that fine offering involving Reg Varney would almost definitely have got you a place in the final! tchsmile

Ilovedragonflies Mon 28-Dec-20 10:57:05

I ran over Reg Varney's foot with my baby's buggy. He was queueing behind me in the chemist and was a bit too close as I turned to leave. (I had no idea he was there until he said ouch and hopped up and down!)