Gransnet forums

Chat

Neglect must be the key...

(11 Posts)
Witzend Fri 20-Nov-20 11:11:24

...to this cyclamen’s survival. I frequently forget to water it until the leaves are really drooping.
It was a present from a sister ages ago, must be 10 years now.
Pic taken this morning.

Auntieflo Fri 20-Nov-20 11:19:19

Well done Witzend. Long may the neglect continue ?

I have a Christmas? cactus , that I rescued for 50p. It puts out new growth, but mo flowers, yet.
Can I send it to you for rehabilitation?

EllanVannin Fri 20-Nov-20 11:21:07

That is just beautiful. I wouldn't have thought it was neglected or the leaves certainly wouldn't have looked as healthy as they do.

Maybe a bigger pot ?

EllanVannin Fri 20-Nov-20 11:25:08

I've just realised that I read the post wrongly----trust me grin

So no, leave it in its pot and water infrequently.

vampirequeen Fri 20-Nov-20 11:37:24

Some plants thrive on being neglected. This one obviously enjoys it. Keep ignoring it and it will continue to try to attract your attention with lovely flowers grin

GrannySomerset Fri 20-Nov-20 11:41:41

I have killed too many cyclamen by overwatering so you have obviously got it just right.

rockgran Fri 20-Nov-20 12:16:35

I thought I'd managed to kill this cactus but it just comes back for more!

J52 Fri 20-Nov-20 12:25:46

I also neglect my Christmas Cactus, they always flower.

BBbevan Fri 20-Nov-20 13:12:36

I have a Christmas cactus which was my mother’s. She has been dead over twenty years. It still flowers at the end of November for her birthday. I have forgotten it sometimes and the soil has been rock hard. A drop of water and it revives

Witzend Fri 20-Nov-20 14:59:05

Is it in a nice sunny window, @AuntieFlo? I have a feeling that’s what they need - but then I did manage to kill one off once - I have a feeling it was over- rather than under- watering.

Auntieflo Fri 20-Nov-20 19:03:56

Witzend, it is in the downstairs loo. On the window cill, which is east facing. At the moment the soil is quite dryish, and the leaves have new growth at the ends.
I keep hoping for flowers, but it is usually more leaves, so in a couple of weeks, I'll see what pops out.