Gransnet forums

Chat

Collection boxes rapt vaccination centres

(20 Posts)
SusieFlo Fri 20-Nov-20 19:47:16

I obviously believe that the COVID vaccination should be free of cost to all. However, due to the financial cost that the pandemic has demanded it occurred to me that lots of people would be happy to make a voluntary contribution if they could afford it by way of a collection box at vaccination centres. What do gransnetters think?

welbeck Fri 20-Nov-20 19:57:17

if we could be sure it went to right objects/purposes, then yes. but many will worry it's more dosh for boys.

welbeck Fri 20-Nov-20 19:58:11

aka, the old boys network. as so much money has been spent wasted this way this year.

tidyskatemum Fri 20-Nov-20 20:00:16

I would be happy to make a donation to the charity of my choice. After all the squillions this government has wasted in the last few months my meagre contribution isn't going to do much for the national debt

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 20:00:20

No.

We need to pay more tax

Alegrias2 Fri 20-Nov-20 20:03:28

Callistemon

No.

We need to pay more tax

I agree wholeheartedly with Callistemon. Especially top rate taxpayers.

( Awaits howls of derision from the right )

BlueBelle Fri 20-Nov-20 20:08:41

No, this vaccine is enough of a money maker for the back scratchers

Casdon Fri 20-Nov-20 20:14:12

I don’t think the vulnerable groups should have to pay, but I would be prepared to pay for my young adult children who will be at the end of the queue to have it if there is surplus vaccine available.

Jane10 Fri 20-Nov-20 21:54:51

I'd be happy to pay for a vaccination when it's my turn and also to pay more tax.

EllanVannin Fri 20-Nov-20 21:56:34

Yes---raise the taxes !

Luckygirl Fri 20-Nov-20 22:04:38

A lot of money spent on this virus has gone into the wrong pockets - I will keep mine in my pocket to donate where and how I choose rather than risk feathering any more undeserving nests.

I do very much appreciate the NHS and the fact that we will have free vaccinations, but I would not trust this government to use donations wisely.

OceanMama Fri 20-Nov-20 22:06:24

No, we pay enough tax for this kind of thing. If there is to be increased taxes, I'd rather it went to supporting workers who have suffered economically due to Covid.

Granny23 Fri 20-Nov-20 22:24:08

As someone whose income is now less than the threshold for paying income tax, I will always vote for increases in Income Tax. When I was working I paid plenty + NI.

suziewoozie Fri 20-Nov-20 22:30:55

?????

B9exchange Fri 20-Nov-20 22:57:32

I wonder if private companies will also get hold of the vaccine and offer it for a hefty sum to those prepared to pay for an early one. You can buy things like the shingles vaccine before you are old enough to qualify for the NHS one, so I don't suppose this will be any different.

SueDonim Sat 21-Nov-20 01:05:37

Not a good idea. It would put unfair pressure on people with no income to spare if they saw others paying out. It might also be misconstrued that people had to pay for the vaccine, thus deterring people from getting the jab.

Paying more tax is the more equitable way - provided it goes to the right place.

welbeck Sat 21-Nov-20 04:25:57

yes that's a point.
many elderly people in hospital decline food because they are worried they cannot pay for it. rarely does this come to light as the reason, and when it does i heard HCPs dismissing their fears laughingly, rather than reassuring them in terms they could understand.

suziewoozie Sat 21-Nov-20 07:44:11

The last thing vaccines action centres would welcome is the headaches caused by collection boxes - just stop and think for one minute of the logistics. First an infection risk, second a security risk, third fielding questions from worried patients ‘Do I have to pay’ , fourth having to empty, count, bank and keep records of the amounts donated. As if the organisation of these centres isn’t going to be enough of a nightmare - it really is a very silly if well meaning idea.

suziewoozie Sat 21-Nov-20 07:44:40

Vaccination obvs

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Nov-20 08:18:34

Another vote here for paying more tax especially by the very wealthy.