Gransnet forums

Chat

Frogmore Cottage

(78 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 21-Nov-20 07:16:34

Seems that Princess Eugenie and her husband have moved into Frogmore Cottage, apparently at the invitation of the Sussexes.

If they, H&M and Archie, pop back to GB, they will share the place.

Good to think it will be in use by a family, when Eugenie’s baby arrives.

NotTooOld Sat 21-Nov-20 22:19:48

Mrs Threadgoode grin

Curlywhirly Sat 21-Nov-20 23:10:31

But haven't H and M recently paid back the 2.5 million that was spent renovating it? Why bother if they no longer wanted to live there? Anyway, I am pleased that after all the renovations someone will actually be living in the house.

GagaJo Sat 21-Nov-20 23:15:22

No bitching about them being given a luxurious home they've not paid a penny for?

suziewoozie Sun 22-Nov-20 00:47:42

GagaJo

No bitching about them being given a luxurious home they've not paid a penny for?

???? ?????

Ellianne Sun 22-Nov-20 07:42:36

I assume the "they" you're referring to here is Eugenie and her husband Jack? They have to live somewhere and with a growing family, the already renovated Frogmore House was probably the most cost effective solution. Don't forget Eugenie's parents live close to Windsor as well and at least the Queen might have the opportunity to see this grandchild next year. So it's sensible all round, not a laughing matter really!
Maybe Prince Charles has plans to reduce the size of the future monarchy in terms of entitlements, but I really can't see him throwing existing members out on to the street.

GagaJo Sun 22-Nov-20 08:36:39

Not one rule for all young married royals then.

LauraNorder Sun 22-Nov-20 08:42:37

Not often I can agree with suziewoozie but budge up on that sofa and share the popcorn

Anniebach Sun 22-Nov-20 08:44:14

What should be done with Frogmore ?

Bathshe Sun 22-Nov-20 08:46:45

I have no interest in who lives at Frogmore

However, to suggest that H&M gave this property to Eugenie is a load of nonsense.

It isn't theirs to give

More stupid journalism from the Mail

Ellianne Sun 22-Nov-20 08:48:41

LauraNorder

Not often I can agree with suziewoozie but budge up on that sofa and share the popcorn

You're welcome Laura! Would you like to try my festive Christmassy cinnamon and ginger flavoured flavour? The GCs love it with syrup drizzled on.

Ellianne Sun 22-Nov-20 08:49:35

*flavoured flavour? ..... taste buds working overtime!

LauraNorder Sun 22-Nov-20 08:57:31

Ellianne, if it’s fattening and also likely to rot the teeth then I’ll enjoy it, pass it along, get comfy, it’ll be a long one.

Lexisgranny Sun 22-Nov-20 09:25:55

None of us really know anything and as we all have seen newspapers appear to make thing up as they go along. The upkeep of the USA home must be quite considerable, and if you add mortgage and living costs, plus the chunk that went to pay for the refurbishments on Frogmore, not to mention taxes, H and M are already digging into what was probably an advance on their Networks fee. Whereas this puts them in a totally different financial league to the rest of us, we do not have the costs that they have to lead the life they wish to lead, questionable though that may that be.

Meanwhile, in England we are have been told that they are still paying rent on Frogmore. At this stage, particularly as a result of COVID, it is unlikely that the couple will be returning for quite a while. The Brookbanks are expecting a baby and probably considering the need for a larger home. Could this not be just a simple case of a short sublet? I would imagine that the Yorks are careful not to do anything to upset the Queen at the moment so I cannot believe all this was done without her knowledge.

I am not on any “side” here, just trying to make sense of the situation. However the removal of furniture during the night is just one more fiasco for newspapers to seize upon, if indeed it was true in the first place.

Onthenaughtystep1 Sun 22-Nov-20 09:33:34

I wonder who will be paying the council tax?

<said innocently whilst on my way out the door>

Callistemon Sun 22-Nov-20 10:01:02

Onthenaughtystep1

Do you like salted?

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-Nov-20 10:28:29

My family did this when one daughter moved abroad with her family... her sibling moved in, paid all the bills, mortgage etc (had to clear this with the lender) and it worked out fine.

Expect this is the same arrangement - if somewhat more £££

suziewoozie Sun 22-Nov-20 10:31:12

???

LauraNorder Sun 22-Nov-20 10:33:35

???

Ellianne Sun 22-Nov-20 11:34:14

I wonder whether E & J will have a Christmas card photo by the Frogmore fireplace just to rub it in? grin

merlotgran Sun 22-Nov-20 13:37:23

That's everyone sorted now apart from Beatrice and Edo.

Time to retreat to my disused WW2 ops room and do a bit of plotting.

Don't worry....I do it for The Archers as well. grin

Calendargirl Sun 22-Nov-20 14:04:27

merlotgran

That's everyone sorted now apart from Beatrice and Edo.

Time to retreat to my disused WW2 ops room and do a bit of plotting.

Don't worry....I do it for The Archers as well. grin

I thought I read somewhere that they live in, I assume, an apartment at St James’ Palace?

merlotgran Sun 22-Nov-20 14:28:55

They do, Calendargirl but how long before Beatrice announces she's pregnant and they want to Escape to the Country?

I like the thought of some little York cousins growing up together like the Tindall and Phillips girls.

Ellianne Sun 22-Nov-20 14:36:51

I'd rather escape to some nice villa in Italy with Edo if I were she.

Callistemon Sun 22-Nov-20 15:55:35

Escape to the Country?

We should look out for them on the telly.
It would be interesting to find out their budget.

Ellianne Sun 22-Nov-20 16:00:53

Callistemon

^Escape to the Country?^

We should look out for them on the telly.
It would be interesting to find out their budget.

Kirstie and Phil could get on the case!