Gransnet forums

Chat

A lovely thing happened to me today!

(23 Posts)
dragonfly46 Sat 21-Nov-20 13:16:07

As many of you know I have been having treatment for breast cancer recently. I wrote to my surgeon/consultant a few weeks ago thanking her for her support and treatment as she has been amazing. I will not be seeing her again until the summer of 2022.

Today I got a letter from her thanking me and saying how much it meant to her especially in these difficult times. It was such a little thing to do but obviously meant a lot to her.

I think we must continue to thank all those working in the NHS - they are doing a sterling job!!

Wheniwasyourage Sat 21-Nov-20 13:25:51

Good for you, dragonfly46. A lot of people find it easy to complain, but it's just as important to give praise and thanks where they are due.

Marydoll Sat 21-Nov-20 13:25:52

Dragonfly, what an uplifting post. I'm so glad to hear your news.
A similar thing happened to me. I sent flowers to the wonderful RA consultant who wrote to my employers explaining that my workload had contributed to my failing health and I was no longer fit to work and shocked she was to see how I had managed to keep working. .
I too got a lovely letter back.

Blossoming Sat 21-Nov-20 13:27:12

I always do, I would not be here today without them smile

BlueBelle Sat 21-Nov-20 13:37:51

Before my dad died he had received wonderful care at out local eye department he actually looked forward to his monthly eye injections because everyone was so kind and caring After he died I sent a card thanking the department for all their attention towards him and was thrilled to hear back that he was a favourite patient and my card of thanks was on a notice board in pride of place

Vickysponge Sat 21-Nov-20 13:44:48

That is really lovely. I always believe in thanking people - especially our wonderful NHS staff. They have saved my Husband numerous times. Happy to hear your news. ?

Jane10 Sat 21-Nov-20 14:06:58

We were just talking about this today. I had emailed our dentists to say how pleased I was at they way he carried out my wisdom tooth extraction. Also a few years ago I'd had excellent service from NHS re my knee. The only way to pass on a compliment, apparently, was via the complaints department! They were very surprised when I phoned wanting to pass on my thanks to a physio I'd seen. The man said it made such a difference to morale when people took the trouble to praise rather than just complain.

Bathsheba Sat 21-Nov-20 15:14:28

Good for you dragonfly, and I'm pleased to read that you won't be seeing her until 2022 - I do hope this means that you're doing well now.

My consultant rang me during the week to check how things were going and ask if I needed to see her in person (no, everything's OK at the moment). We had a short conversation about my self-care and was I OK for medication and so on, and then I asked her how she was doing, and was she still working from home?

She sounded so pleasantly surprised that I was asking and we chatted for a little while then about the fact that she was now hospital based again for four days a week and it was so difficult, so different. I then thanked her for all that she and her colleagues are doing, saying I honestly don't know where we'd all be without their dedication. It was a lovely conversation and I like to think I helped to brighten a difficult day for her. It doesn't take much, does it?

Kate1949 Sat 21-Nov-20 15:24:20

How lovely smile We did something similar. When my DH had completed his cancer treatment, we wrote to the Chief Executive of the Trust to say what great care DH had received. He wrote back saying how much he appreciated us writing to him and the it was really nice to be appreciated.

Mapleleaf Sat 21-Nov-20 15:27:58

Indeed it doesn’t, Bathsheba. I think it’s important to say thank you when things have gone well. I had excellent service from various workmen who came to sort out various problems recently after a power surge and felt it only right to write and say thank you to them all. Apparently, they were more used to receiving complaints than thank you’s which I find very sad.
I hope things are going well for you, too, dragonfly.

Nortsat Sat 21-Nov-20 15:37:25

That’s lovely Dragonfly.

You appreciated her and she appreciated you.

What a nice post ... thank you for sharing. ?

bikergran Sat 21-Nov-20 16:22:58

Thats,lovely to have a reply, little/big anything that lifts us is welcome anytime. smile

glammanana Sat 21-Nov-20 16:33:16

What an uplifting post Dragonfly how marvelous that you don't need to see her until Summer 2022.
I had an emergency operation for ovarian cancer 30yrs ago and my surgeon became a friend of my family we exchanged xmas cards every year until his retirement from NHS he has given me 30 more yrs and I will never forget the excellent care I got from him and his fabulous team.

Onthenaughtystep1 Sat 21-Nov-20 16:33:24

I wanted to put on record my appreciation for my mother’s treatment at the hospital. The form I was directed to use only had the options for reporting your complaint.
Clearly not many people register their thanks.

NotTooOld Sat 21-Nov-20 22:13:06

What a lovely thread. Such a lovely thing to thank people who have given good service.

sharon103 Sat 21-Nov-20 22:32:51

A lovely post. Wouldn't it be nice if people gave praise as much as they give criticism.

Wishing you all the best for the future. flowers

Kittye Sat 21-Nov-20 22:42:18

A lovely post. Brought both a tear to my eye and a smile to my face ? Wishing a bright future for you xx

Ashcombe Sat 21-Nov-20 22:42:30

dragonfly thank you for your uplifting post and for sharing your happy news.
Saying thank you costs nothing but can lift spirits for the recipient. I agree sharon103 that we should be willing to praise more than we criticise.

BlueSapphire Sat 21-Nov-20 22:48:38

Wonderful care from my surgery yesterday.
Phoned reception at 8am.
Call back from GP at 8.40.
Appointment arranged for 9.50.
Saw GP on time. Had thorough health check up including ECG to diagnose problem.
Diagnosis made and referred to hospital.
Picked up prescription from chemist at 10.30.
Home by 10.45.

Lots of people slate this surgery, mainly for long phone queues and waiting times for appointments, but when they think it might be serious they cannot be faulted.

Auntieflo Sat 21-Nov-20 23:13:20

8 years ago, I wrote a letter to my Dr's surgery, thanking all the staff for the speed with which they looked after me when I had a heart attack.
Then this year, a local, family run, coach travel firm went into administration. We have had some memorable holidays with them, and I wrote saying how sad we were to hear the news
I received a lovely letter in return, thanking me for my concern.

TBsNana Sat 21-Nov-20 23:35:18

My DH has a tendency to be anxious about health issues. In relation to the pandemic this means he constantly hints that he thinks he has COVID ( though heavens knows how as he goes nowhere). I try to reassure him, but also make the point that he needs to have a test to resolve one way or another - to give him peace of mind or to make sure we are doing the responsible thing. At this point he backtracks and refuses!
I honestly don't think he's got the virus ( this is happening several times a week, and has been going on for months) and I recognise that he must be feeling very anxious but I just don't know what to do with him! Help!!

TBsNana Sat 21-Nov-20 23:40:11

Sorry everyone that post is in wrong place - apologies

Liz46 Sun 22-Nov-20 09:56:13

I had a rare lung problem and the consultant and her nurse at the hospital were wonderful. I sent a thank you card and the next time I saw the consultant she thanked me and said that she had given the card to the nurse to keep in her 'folder' (not the correct word).