Gransnet forums

Chat

"Men unhappy when wives earn more"

(71 Posts)
ixion Sun 22-Nov-20 14:25:57

Title of an article from today's Sunday Times.

'The study's findings come as a growing number of women are now earning more than their husbands. "Men appear to need to be the bigger earners in a marriage to feel good about themselves".
(Researchers) found that men feel a "psychological kick" in life satisfaction if a salary boost increases their earnings superiority within a marriage'.

Would you agree?

Le15 Sat 28-Nov-20 14:56:23

i earned more than husband for first 8 years of our marriage then first son came along i worked part time after that had another son then when they were teenagers he resented me working only part time even though i did all the house work cooking washing taxi driver etc but i never caved in so this was a case of husband preferring the women to earn more !!

vampirequeen Wed 25-Nov-20 11:40:52

You're so right Kandinsky.

Kandinsky Tue 24-Nov-20 08:18:31

Some men love it as vampirequeen said. it means they can do less.
Some men are more than happy to sit back and watch the woman work hard. That’s worse than resenting it and wanting to be the main earner ( & actively trying to be )

Hithere Tue 24-Nov-20 01:26:11

Same issue if the wife is not willing to change her last name to his last name a year marriage- some men are super offended "she is rejecting the family name"

MiniMoon Mon 23-Nov-20 23:41:03

During all our working lives I earned more than my DH. It never bothered him, in fact, quite the opposite. He was very grateful of my support.

Mistyfluff8 Mon 23-Nov-20 23:35:33

I have earns more than my husband most of the time .My father in law was so rude to me said women only earns pin money I was so furious so told him what I earn the shit up then what an insult to his working wife

biba70 Mon 23-Nov-20 20:49:48

Neanderthals- yes. My mother always earnt more than my dad- so does one of our daughters.

Hetty58 Mon 23-Nov-20 20:41:58

My son in law doesn't mind at all. He works part time (mostly from home) and does the majority of the childcare. He's taken on the traditional 'housewife' duties too.

My daughter is largely free to concentrate on her career so is happy with it as well. Still, when he appeared at 'mum and toddler' group it caused some confusion.

Lizbethann55 Mon 23-Nov-20 20:21:53

My DD earns considerably more than my SiL and she wishes it was the other way round. Her job is very stressful and she doesn't find it particularly fulfilling. She would love to work in the charity sector, particularly at the local hospice where she works as a volunteer in the evenings. Sadly these jobs don't tend to pay anywhere near as much as she earns and she cannot afford to take a pay cut. Also should they ever have the family they long for (nearly 5 years trying, 2 failed IVF and a miscarriage) she will only be able to take a very short maternity leave while my SiL will be able to work part time and be a part time "at home" dad.

vampirequeen Mon 23-Nov-20 20:09:28

Sorry...off topic. Ignore my bitter comment.

vampirequeen Mon 23-Nov-20 20:08:56

My ex was quite happy for me to earn more. Gave him more to take off me and spend on himself.

Aepgirl Mon 23-Nov-20 15:05:48

I wonder if having a higher salary means that the wives are ‘more important’ than their husbands, which would probably dent some men’s ego.
So much is about money these days which is just sad.

Harris27 Mon 23-Nov-20 14:17:52

Agree lynx.

Harris27 Mon 23-Nov-20 14:16:57

I was a stay at home mum and it worked fine in the 70’s went back to work part time in the 80’s after family were up I went back to work. earn about the same as my husband sometimes less and sometimes more. Hubby seems fine on the surface but I think he still likes to think,of himself as the main breadwinner.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 23-Nov-20 14:11:50

polnan flowers I'm glad you have at least got happy memories, but it's not enough...

lynx Mon 23-Nov-20 13:17:43

We are both retired now but for the last few years of work my DH resented the fact I earned more. So much so that I sent my salary to a new account and only transferred some to the joint account...
Older man with Hunter instinct?

Babs758 Mon 23-Nov-20 13:06:07

I earn more than my husband. He has more free time as self-employed and mostly works from home.. some friction was caused when he wanted me to take time off at short notice a few years back, but I had commitments and deadlines at work.

Since lockdown and my working from home for 7 months he now realises much more about what I do and I think respects me more! Thanks to zoom and teams we don't have to fight over the telephone line :-)

melp1 Mon 23-Nov-20 13:05:12

I think things are very different now especially in the current situation. Most couples seem to have joint accounts so I can't see that that it matters who earns what, probably more important is whos spending it. smile

soldiersailor Mon 23-Nov-20 12:59:33

It was never a problem for me! She earned almost twice my income but her job was even more stressful than mine - she deserved it.

dayvidg Mon 23-Nov-20 12:26:14

It never bothered me - had 20 years where we lived in tied accommodation with consequently low income; for half of that time my wife worked with a higher wage.

homefarm Mon 23-Nov-20 12:24:41

Perhaps it's an age related thing? It's now a very different world.

Kim19 Mon 23-Nov-20 12:23:55

After many years of 'housewifing/baby rearing' I eventually got back to work. It took me a few years to get back up the ladder. Eventually, I commented that my 'contribution' to the pot was greater than my husband's. He smiled, winked and said 'about blooming time!'

LondonMzFitz Mon 23-Nov-20 11:59:27

Hmm. My ex started off very happy I earned more than him, but over time it rankled, there'd be some snide remarks .. It all went in the same pot, he sorted all the finances (I would say controlled now, looking back). I had no idea what debt he'd run up in our joint name ...

When I was left money by my Mum when she died he opened an ISA in his own name with some of the money, while half of my legacy went to pay the joint debt. Came up in mediation recently and he denied it. I don't think I'd ever trust another person with a joint account. Actually, I know I wouldn't.

Spec1alk Mon 23-Nov-20 11:35:07

My husband earned more than me for 25 years then I caught up and we earned about the same for 15 yrs and for the final 10 years I earned more. I now have a pension that is double his. No problem, it’s OUR money!

Sleepygran Mon 23-Nov-20 11:32:58

My Dh didn’t like it when I earned more than he did at times in our marriage. He felt it was his job to provide for us both. After our child was a few months old I was offered a job,we almost came to divorce because he felt I should stay at home and bring up the child.I took the job with no help from him.over time he got used to it and eventually saw how it helped our finances.It also helped me,I wasn’t that maternal,so time out made me value the time I had with my child.