Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(82 Posts)
12Michael Tue 24-Nov-20 06:16:09

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dark start but looks dry and cold here in Brackley , yesterday , was cold and foggy here.
Today will be a quiet day in , we have a new Sainsburys opening in the north east part of the town tomorrow , a welcome with housing development.
Must get my xmas card list ready so I get them in post early .
Take Care ,
Mick

harrigran Tue 24-Nov-20 09:07:44

Good morning from a dry and quite mild NE.
Another reading marathon in the spare room, 4.30 job so I will be tired today.
Sainsbury's order to collect, meals have been getting quite imaginative from store cupboard.
Awaiting delivery of laptop for GD, I get twitchy when they take a long time with expensive equipment.
Some parcels just never arrive like the Christmas cards, you go on the website and they say they are there for immediate delivery but they never arrive.

Mapleleaf Tue 24-Nov-20 09:12:53

Good morning,

It's a brightish but chilly start to the day here in South Yorkshire.

Later I will pop outside and wrap up the last of the plants that need a bit extra protection before the frosts arrive at the end of the week. I've done most of them, but a couple remain to be mollycoddled ?.

The puddings are cooked - I took them out of the slow pots last night and left them to cool, so all that remains now is to give them a fresh covering of greaseproof paper and foil before storing in the fridge. The mincemeat is done too, and placed into jars (halving the recipe resulted in 3 jars, which is plenty for us).

I've only flicked through the posts so far, but your baking caught my eye, grandMattie. It all looks delicious. Can you freeze it to keep for Christmas or is that a trial one to have now and make another at Christmas?

I'll go back and read all the threads properly now.
Keep safe, everyone and ?to all who need them today.

MawBe Tue 24-Nov-20 09:13:44

kittylester

Morning all from a brightening but cloudy North Leicestershire!

We are going to the small market in a pub car park in the next village to see what's on offer. Also, I have to sort out my Christmas shopping slots as I appear to have ordered more or less the same things from both Sainsbury's and Waitrose - to arrive on the same day. confused

Have the best day you can everyone.

Good morning all - irs sunny and bright here but not guaranteed to stay that way.
The reason I am quoting Kittylesters post is that I did precisely that one year just a couple of weeks before Christmas ! Thinking I had somehow “lost” my Ocado ordering when amending it, I panicked, checked Waitrose and found a slot - to my huge surprise- late in the evening in Christmas week. You can guess the rest.
I could have opened a shop with the contents of my fridges, freezer, cupboards, the garage .....gringrin
Fortunately it was a cold winter and I have a cold garage so all the veg and non-perishables went into big lidded plastic boxes - and kept us going throughout January.
Wishing you all a pleasant day - whether busy or sitting back and watching the world go by.

Taichinan Tue 24-Nov-20 09:17:15

Good morning all from a full damp mild Angus coast. There's a little bit of blue lurking behind the grey, but I think it's only a tease.

After a week of not being able to sleep until 3 or 4am (and in one case 5am), last night I slept a full nine hours!! There's no rhyme nor reason for it. I had just read that there's a new thread started for Night owls which I thought I'd partake of, but sorry, I slept.

I haven't got time to read all the thread this morning as I have to prettify myself to go out for a coffee with a friend and that could take quite a while. And also once I'm prettified, I have to video a birthday greeting for my great- niece's 40th birthday. I am really much too young to be a great aunt to a 40 year old, you understand. But there's no avoiding it I suppose. I am also amazed by the posse of great-greats that accompany her!

Have a good day everyone, and I'll catch up later. ???

Auntieflo Tue 24-Nov-20 09:21:47

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all. Dh has a hospital appointment this morning and is being picked up by a volunteer driver in roughly 30 mins. So I have an 'empty' ?
I haven't posted for a couple of days, and so had to go back through several cays of 'Good mornings', to find out whether Marydoll was OK and back with us. She is, but was sorry to hear that she has been through a bad time recently.
BlueSapphire, glad to hear that you are feeling slightly better this morning. I have had very similar, and finally gave in and am seeing a physio this afternoon. The pain has been awful, you can't do anything without hurting, and I do sympathise.
I must go back and read all the posts properly, without skimming.
Have a good day one and all

Auntieflo Tue 24-Nov-20 09:22:53

"several days ".
See, I knew I should have Previewed

GrannySomerset Tue 24-Nov-20 09:22:56

Bright and cold this morning which I like and which makes me feel more cheerful. DH has been having a lie in but I must get him up shortly though no plans. Wonderful cleaner is here and imposing cleanliness and order on the sitting room so maybe a little walk while the sun is shining.

Planted the last 100 bulbs yesterday so feel content that there will be something to look forward to in spring, and I can now turn my mind to Christmas cards and letters well ahead of time.

Lots of news on the good morning thread this morning and good to see Marydoll with us. All we need now is news of Gillybob.

Grandmabatty Tue 24-Nov-20 09:30:59

Thank you Marydoll normal service is resumed. I'm feeling more like myself today. I'm glad that you're feeling better too. Ginny that's such lovely news!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 24-Nov-20 09:32:14

Morning all from a rather murky looking South Notts. I hope to go out later for a little drive to keep the battery topped up. The car has a blanket over the windscreen as I absolutely loathe having to scrape it.

I've made progress with the sock which I'm knitting, have turned the heel and am on the foot part, shaping the instep. I doubt it will win any prizes for elegance but at least I am persevering.

Hope you are feeling a bit better Marydoll how upsetting about the stolen phone and charger. NanKate hope you are recovering from your tumble. Trust all is well with everyone, especially those who are under the weather either physically or emotionally.

Roses Tue 24-Nov-20 09:40:13

GINNY

Wonderful news?

Gelisajams Tue 24-Nov-20 09:47:27

Good morning from a a damp Morecambe Bay. Just popped back for a catch up as I posted quite early but my post has disappeared! I’m sure I pressed post after previewing!
DH is now back from his run having done it in a new record time. (He was just setting off when I started my previous post)
Just a day of tidying up today, returning the accumulated stuff lying around the house to its own ‘home’. Why is there a peg on my bedside cabinet?
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

LauraNorder Tue 24-Nov-20 10:08:52

Good morning Mick and all from dry, slightly breezy Anglesey. I can hear the big mixer churning so I’m guessing the plasterers are out there.
We keep hearing that they’ll be finished by Friday. It seems any old Friday will do. They’ve been at it since July.
The good news is that they’ve taken the blue plastic covering from the upstairs windows and we can see the sea, the green fields and the little church. I’d almost forgotten about our lovely views, lucky lucky me.
Hope today is a good day all round for everyone.

annsixty Tue 24-Nov-20 10:09:02

Good morning all.
A much duller day today in Stockport, I managed a short walk yesterday in lovely sunshine.

I am disturbed by all the talk of missing parcels. Does anyone else remember last year when whole vans full of parcels were stolen by temporary drivers taken on by delivery firms who had taken the jobs for that very purpose.

I had an email yesterday from Hermes to expect a parcel between 4pm and 6 pm , it didn’t arrive and then another email later to say I will get an email today with further information.

This is from JohnLewis and has “not cheap” perfume, beauty products and toiletries as special luxury presents for my D and GD’s.
I am getting quite worried now.

readalot Tue 24-Nov-20 10:29:26

Good morning sar53. If you go to a main post office they usually sell bubble wrap.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 24-Nov-20 10:32:19

Good morning all from miserable Harrogate, when I started reading these posts it was sunny and I have a wash on. Now as I look out of the window - rain!!!
I love stollen Grandmamattie, but no use me making it. DH will not eat anything with almonds in it. It's one reason I make my own Christmas cake, it doesn't have Marzipan in it.
Pity you don't live nearby Sar53, I collect bubblewrap to wrap my paintings up if/when I sell any.

Well there is light at the end of the tunnel, folks - I'll be first in the queue for the vaccine!! you can all be next.

annsixty Tue 24-Nov-20 10:47:46

Sar all garden centres sell bubble wrap by the metre.

Grandmadougal Tue 24-Nov-20 10:53:51

Good morning to all from a dry Norfolk.

Aiming for a cycle ride today if it keeps fine trying to plan out our days and to get more exercise. We keep reading all the advice on how to cope with lockdown and to be honest if we did all the things recommended we’d not have enough time in the day so we opted just to cycle as often as possible, weather permitting, I’m not a fan of cycling in the rain.

Baking looks lovely grandMattie not my forte to bake but love to eat hence the need to excercise?

Hope everyone has a good day.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 24-Nov-20 10:55:14

Elizabeth, I find that if I write a post then go wandering off looking at other posts on different pages, I often lose what I have written. Sometimes I find it, but more often it's gone!

GrandmasueUK Tue 24-Nov-20 11:03:47

Good morning Mick and all who follow from a dry but dull Greater Manchester.

So happy to see you posting again Marydoll. Hoping your injection isn't causing you too much trouble. flowers

Wonderful news about the baby Ginny flowers

Everyone else seems to have a busy day ahead. I have to finish wrapping Christmas presents to send abroad. They are already wrapped in Christmas paper but now need brown paper and string. There is a bookshop in Southport that were used to go to when the children were little that used to wrap the books in brown paper and string. We all loved it.

Got lots of laundry folding to do as well. Hoping the conservatory will start to look a little tidier as I managed to get the ironing pile down whilst watching Doctor in Love, silly nonsense but it passed the tone pleasantly!

Hope everyone with ills or worries has as peaceful a day as possible. Stay safe flowers

Grandmafrench Tue 24-Nov-20 11:04:04

Good Morning everyone from a gloriously sunny S of France, where DH has just gone out on a mission and finally I have found time to catch up with all your news.

GrandMattie I now have the spices for Musakhan. Could I trouble you for the recipe, please? Great Stollen, by the way! (Now that sounds like a place I could live!) So hoping for some early resolution of your DD's hand problems, Bella. Try not to worry. GrandmaGravy under the stairs does sound like a safe and not too tiring space for you to pass the time today with an ever-moving 10 month old.

Brook chatting away with a friend - in comfy seats - what's not to like? Enjoy your catch up and trip out too Taichinan.

Nortsat you made me laugh - so much "misery" to discuss with friends, maybe because we find it all so incredible? Here's a photo of what a forced week of nights out in the cold have done for my Orchid. It sprouted little buds which are growing so quickly on bare stems and will hopefully provide a whole host of pretty flowers before Christmas. ( Mmmm, a photo will hopefully follow! ) aggie that's what our chatter on here does to you - or your tea grin. NannyJan good news, bad news. Our see-sawing lives just continue, don't they. Susan you will be tired tomorrow but so pleased to hear that Henry is better. Ginny So very happy for you all ??. Urms Think that Spain is winding down and preparing for the sadness of your departure. Make sure you leave those fuchsia sandals behind - just to ensure another visit soon.

Elizabeth please don't give up, with wretched technical problems. I've had two days like you, Ellan, just struggling to keep up and cross that each time I start something, and my early Good Morning fix has been denied me until late, I am constantly interrupted. BlueSapphire and AuntieFlo do be careful. With lots of pain you shouldn't be doing much - especially changing bed linen, Blue !! dogsmother Good Morning from another place with sunshine. Gelisa I have just moved a screwdriver and some plant food from my bedside table - just as well I don't sleepwalk, I think. grin

Ann so glad you are going out. So good for your mood, I should think, as well as your recovery.

Have the best Tuesday everyone. Just get on and look forward, because somewhere amongst all the lies, counter-lies, contradictions and concerns, there does seem to be some real hope at last that life may return to a normal that makes us all happy. Take care, keep safe.

Big smile and warm hugs,
???

Sar53 Tue 24-Nov-20 12:00:17

Thanks everyone I managed to purchase bubble wrap from our small post office within the local store.
The parcel I am waiting for is from Molten Brown and contains quite a few items. The delivery company who seem to have a problem with finding our address is DPD. I have been informed that it has had a new label applied, hopefully to go to a local shop. Surely they can find a NISA store. Confidence is not high ??

Scentia Tue 24-Nov-20 12:16:57

Just popped back to ask if anyone can write poetry, and if so would they consider writing me a poem to put into my DGN Christmas present. I am sure I have seen some fabulous poems around GN!

annsixty Tue 24-Nov-20 12:19:57

I think parcels are going missing again this year.
My D has just told me of a problem she has had with Hermes saying parcel delivered.
No satisfaction from them apart from, we are looking into it.
When she got in touch with Amazon she was refunded within 24 hours with no problem.

Ashcombe Tue 24-Nov-20 13:19:45

Scentia: I dabble in poetry for special occasions. If you’d like to message me with details of what to include, I’ll try!

Scentia Tue 24-Nov-20 14:09:41

Ashcombe I have messaged you