Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have a song (songs) you can’t stand ? *Title edited by GNHQ*

(160 Posts)
Lucca Tue 24-Nov-20 18:58:00

I can’t bear “Cry me a river “

paddyanne Sun 29-Nov-20 13:16:43

LadyGracie one of my favourits songs is Marianne Faithfull singing Trouble In Mind ,from a film of the same name.It takes you straight to a smokey dark jazz club in another time
The only song I wont sing or listen to is the National Anthem ,I've been known to go to the loo when itwas played at functions ,much to my FIL's annoyance .Lets face it any Scot who is happy to sing about being crushed by General Wade needs a raincheck at least or a head wobble

hollysteers Sun 29-Nov-20 11:59:16

Great thread and it’s interesting to read that many songs I thought everybody loved except me are on the list. The media make assumptions re music we love.
Going back in time, the 50s are hard to beat for crap songs, Doggy in the Window, Someone who swallowed a fly? Max Bygraves Mouse in the House and Gracie Fields singing Sally.
I thought I was the only one who hated Somewhere over the rainbow.
Bit off thread, one of the few good things to come out of lockdown is Handel’s Messiah will be given a rest this year ?
I’m mad about classical music, but why that is never given a rest, I’ll never know.

LadyGracie Sun 29-Nov-20 10:17:13

So many songs named here that I can’t bear.

I can’t listen to Tina Turner, Rolling Stones, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Annie Lennox, Bonnie Tyler, Kate Bush, Kathryn Jenkins, Cleo Lane, Marianne Faithfull etc etc etc.

My ringtone on my mobile has always been Here Comes The Night by Them. Love it!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 29-Nov-20 07:43:08

I must add that I can't stand Mariah Carey or Celine Dion who ruin many a good song by spinning out the notes or shrieking. Has me running for the hills.

vampirequeen Sun 29-Nov-20 07:37:45

Bright Eyes

For the Good Times

Honey

Any song that makes me cry tbh.

Oldwoman70 Sat 28-Nov-20 09:09:34

I used to like "Happy" by Pharrell Williams until I was on a 4 hour flight and someone behind me played it over and over and over and over again until the battery on his phone ran out! I now hate the song!

I'm another who likes "Fairytale of New York" - it's a relief from all the sugary sweet Christmas songs we usually get

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 28-Nov-20 00:28:46

paddyanne

We watched the documentary with the Proclaimers that was on before Annie lennox,brilliant programme ,,interviewed by David Tennant .Really nice down to earth men .I watched the Gerry Rafferty one before that and it was great,quote of the night was Billy Connelly saying he wanted fame and fortune but Gerry just wanted respect for his music .I'm recording Travis at the Barrowland for another time .

I'd love to see these two. Great interview.

Glad someone else not a Cliff Richard fan. cornishpasty

Such opposing tastes on this thread. Just read two people hate the song I love. I posted it on the thread about our favourite Christmas music. I must find that Chris Rea track and remind myself just how good it it. wink

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 28-Nov-20 00:21:11

Anything sung by Cliff Richard but especially the Christmas songs e.g Mistletoe and wine.

MissAdventure Sat 28-Nov-20 00:07:03

I just caught the end of the proclaimers.
I'd have watched that if I'd known.

paddyanne Sat 28-Nov-20 00:04:26

Oops forgot to say its a Scottish music night for St Andrews day on Sunday.

paddyanne Sat 28-Nov-20 00:02:59

We watched the documentary with the Proclaimers that was on before Annie lennox,brilliant programme ,,interviewed by David Tennant .Really nice down to earth men .I watched the Gerry Rafferty one before that and it was great,quote of the night was Billy Connelly saying he wanted fame and fortune but Gerry just wanted respect for his music .I'm recording Travis at the Barrowland for another time .

MissAdventure Fri 27-Nov-20 23:47:37

Oh gawd. Annie's just singing the opening warbles!

cornishpatsy Fri 27-Nov-20 23:41:37

Anything by Cliff Richard, I have been known to turn a radio off in someone elses house when he came on.

MissAdventure Fri 27-Nov-20 23:36:10

I'm just settling down with some Annie Lennox on tv.
I quite like her, apart from (and I really do despise this one!)
'There must be an angel, playing with my heart'. I think it's called something like that.

Lucca Fri 27-Nov-20 14:43:25

Piaf. “hymne à l’amour” I LOVE ! I know it’s meant to be songs I hate.....but it’s my thread so...

Callistemon Fri 27-Nov-20 14:16:08

I asked Alexa to play Copacabana but, as I don't pay extra, she played me a dirge of 'It's going to be a Blue Christmas Without You', not even by Elvis! Nor Michael Bublé
Not very cheery.

Nannarose Fri 27-Nov-20 13:54:19

Now I'm wondering if "great" love songs are written by adulterers:
First time ever I saw your face - Ewan Macoll
Wonderful tonight - Eric Clapton
Seasons in the Sun - though in fairness the translation changed a lot from Le Moribund by Jacques Brel

Still enjoying all these opinions!

Lucca Fri 27-Nov-20 13:23:41

gmarie

Both "Killing Me Softly" and "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" used to drive me up a tree!

I like those?

petra Fri 27-Nov-20 13:14:54

bmacca
I've been trying to think of a song that really grates. It's that one: Lady in Red. Thank you for reminding me.
Fanny I'm with you. You can't beat a bit of Barry ?

Kate1949 Fri 27-Nov-20 12:48:22

Strange how some love the ones others hate!

LauraNorder Fri 27-Nov-20 12:36:56

Lucca

Almost forgot.... cant bear anything sung by Tom Jones

Especially ‘Sex Bomb’. No, just no

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 27-Nov-20 12:36:19

Here's another "Take Another Piece of my Heart" by Etta James, I loathe its lyrics which encourage bad behaviour from her man. Dangerous sentimental twaddle. It makes my skin crawl.

bmacca Fri 27-Nov-20 12:16:30

You’re beautiful by James Blunt is the one that grates the most. Also hate Lady in Red and Candle in the Wind almost as much

Charleygirl5 Fri 27-Nov-20 11:52:45

You'll Never Walk Alone" but in a nutshell, anything by Vera Lynn and I would also add Barry Manilow I associate Vera Lynn with care homes. They should have moved on a bit musically, if they have not they should have by now.

MayBee70 Fri 27-Nov-20 11:48:54

Oh I loved that! It never became a full opera, did it.