Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you still send Christmas Cards?

(142 Posts)
vegansrock Wed 25-Nov-20 07:29:40

I remember my late mother in law writing what seemed like hundreds of Christmas cards to everyone she had ever known . She also loved receiving lots back. Given the financial and environmental concerns, it seems card sending is going out of fashion, particularly among younger people. How many cards do you send? Will it be fewer ( or more) this year? I quite like cards to decorate the house, but wonder if anyone would notice if I didn’t send any. My DH never sends any - so is there an age/ gender divide?

Bibbity Wed 25-Nov-20 17:46:24

I don’t as I don’t really like them at all.
Very wasteful, if there is anyone is want to wish a merry Christmas to I just send them a message or give them a call.

Lulubelle500 Wed 25-Nov-20 17:12:44

I used to keep in touch with friends scattered around the world/uk with Christmas cards but now emails are the thing (not the same feeling as recognising a foreign stamp or handwriting of course!) And they do decorate the house, although I nearly set the house on fire lighting the candles on the dining room mantlepiece after a few vodkas one New Years Eve. I still send cards to family though.

luluaugust Wed 25-Nov-20 17:04:31

Over the last five years or so we have been told we will not be getting a card and money was going to charity, so we stopped sending back but this year I am wondering whether to send out cards anyway, even if they decide not to send any. On the bonus side I have found I get a phone call in lieu so perhaps that is better.

alice7soul Wed 25-Nov-20 17:00:45

I normally have cut my list down to just a handful (people who live away who I don't see often) but this year I thought I'd go through my address book and send a few more - feeling that perhaps people need a cheer up these days. Also a good reason to get out and walk to the mailbox.

Polly4t42 Wed 25-Nov-20 16:59:59

Yes I make and send about 50 cards each year and have made about 35 so far. Yes it will cost me more this year as I can’t hand them out to my WI and embroiderers guild friends. However as we can’t meet up I feel it’s important to show we haven’t forgotten them especially those shielding or living alone.

Bellasnana Wed 25-Nov-20 16:24:19

No, not since DH died five years ago. I couldn’t face writing just my own name.

To be honest, I used to send around 60 cards and always found it a chore, not to mention the cost of ever increasing postage, so it’s one less thing to stress about.

Bluecat Wed 25-Nov-20 16:11:15

Yes, always charity cards. This year it's for Neuroblastoma UK, a small charity fundraising for research into the horrible aggressive brain cancer that mainly affects children. I came across them online.

I don't send very many, though, as we don't have many friends. We are not very gregarious.

CBBL Wed 25-Nov-20 15:57:52

Like TwiceAsNice I also send cards still, despite the ever increasing cost. The friends I send cards to are mostly those who do not use Social Media, or in some cases, Smartphones - so it's a regular "catch up" exercise. I buy Charity cards too, so feel that I am balancing out my carbon footprint to some extent.

Rowsie Wed 25-Nov-20 15:43:05

Yes, I always send cards and I like to receive them too.

Tweedle24 Wed 25-Nov-20 15:09:55

Yes. I do, about 40 and love receiving them. This year will be particularly lovely as I usually go away early December for Christmas and New Year so I am usually opening them after Christmas.
I always buy charity ones shared between RNLI and Parkinsons. I like them to have a picture relating to the Christian meaning of Christmas but, they are becoming fewer. I don’t expect everybody to send religiously themed cards but it is frustrating for those who, like me, do.

magshard20 Wed 25-Nov-20 15:00:38

I do, but fear that this year might be the last year of sending to everyone. My Arthritis is playing havoc with my fingers and wrists, so I have been writing about 5 a day since the start of November. I still send out quite a lot, former work colleagues, member s of a committee that I am on, OH's former work friends that we usually see at least once a month when we all got together at a local pub for a meal and a chat, of course that has gone "down a rabbit hole" this year ( since March anyway). We always 'traded' Christmas Cards at these meetings, but will have to post this year.
That's on top of family and friends, both from big families, so think we will have to cut the load next year, it gets very expensive with the price of stamps these days. I have taken to sending cards together, asking the recipient to give out, and it has cost me considerately less in postage, "my tip of the day"

LesLee7 Wed 25-Nov-20 14:59:24

I love to send , and hopefully receive, Christmas cards. I prefer getting a card to a present and like to let people know I'm thinking of them. I have been making more cards this year, recycling cards kept from previous years so feel they are at least getting a second use as some of the are so pretty. In the last couple of years or so I also send an e card to a number of people I don't necessarily get a card from to let them know I'm thinking of them. I usually use a photo I've taken of winter flowers for example. When you are on your own it means a lot if you get a card from someone and I like to display them. I've made more donations to charity this year anyway both monetry and donating things to the shops when open. I know postage is getting more expensive but I'm part of an online survey that sends books of stamps for your time so that reduces the cost a bit and anyway the price of a stamp to show you care isn't that much. As I can't play my usual League sports I will probably be sending a few less this year as I won't see people but if I have an email will add them to my e card list.
When my Mum was poorly and in a home I also continued to send some cards out on her behalf to her friends as if she had been able would have wanted to do it and I could let them know how she was. It was lovely to hear back from them and I still keep in touch with some of her old neighbours who thought so much about her now that she's gone.
Christmas is a difficult time now I have no immediate family left and my sister passed away on Christmas Eve so I am thankful for all the friends who have been there to support me. It will be a lonely one this Christmas but God willing things will improve in the New Year.

BelindaB Wed 25-Nov-20 14:39:52

Yes, I will still send out Christmas cards this year. As so many have pointed out, it is lovely to receive them although I do wish people would make quite sure that thier signature etc is legible!

I always buy the cards in Jan & Feb, usually from charity shops and have a large box full of them so I won't have to buy any for some time.

At my age, so many friends are "falling off the twig" that it seems to be more and more important to send (and receive) Christmas cards. Especially as not everyone uses or even owns a computer!

hulahoop Wed 25-Nov-20 14:37:54

I like to send cards and receive them.I don't send as many as I used to when I was working .We do give to charity as well .I have decided to use vouchers I have from te__o to do a shop for food bank as my main charity this year .

inishowen Wed 25-Nov-20 14:19:04

My 8 year old granddaughter has designed a card at school. I've ordered 12 and that will be all I send.

BassGrammy Wed 25-Nov-20 14:06:53

I have always tried to send Christmas cards only to people I don’t see during the year. I think it’s a way of letting people know that you are still thinking about them occasionally! Old work colleagues, old neighbours etc. It’s nice to hear how they are too.

NannyC1 Wed 25-Nov-20 14:01:09

I don't send any. My mum put me right off when used it as a competition to see who received the mostangry. I always used to donate the total cost to a charity. Now I use the amount to buy nice christmassy things for the food bank.

Panda25 Wed 25-Nov-20 13:56:01

I love sending cards to people whether Christmas, Easter, birthday, anniversary, thinking of you ect.

buylocal Wed 25-Nov-20 13:50:10

I don't send (or receive) any and donations to charity for me have no relationship to Christmas cards.

PollyDolly Wed 25-Nov-20 13:47:22

Fewer the better! I just do nôt see the point in sending a Christmas card to people we never see from one year end to the next, neighbours who never acknowledge when we say "hello" and every Tom , Dick & Harry in between.

We have special friends and neighbours as well as family who we always exchange cards with and sadly that list gets shorter every year.

Musicgirl Wed 25-Nov-20 13:41:26

I am another one for January sales cards and I like as many of them as possible to be charity cards. I like traditional Nativity scenes, robbins and the twelve days of Christmas cards.

Musicgirl Wed 25-Nov-20 13:38:53

I always send quite a lot of cards to family and friends. I also write a card for each of my piano and violin pupils and, in normal years, they get to have two sweets (usually Cadbury's Heroes). I have been teaching online since March so will post them instead - complete with sweets.

Cuckooz Wed 25-Nov-20 13:38:48

Sorry Lucca - auto correct to Luca. ?

Cuckooz Wed 25-Nov-20 13:36:35

Oh Luca, your post is really sad but it also made me realise I feel the same way so you are not alone. Sending you a bunch of ?

Scrappydo Wed 25-Nov-20 13:26:16

I love sending & receiving cards. I cut the costs by getting them in the January sales & pack them away with the decorations ready for the next Christmas. I do spend a lot on stamps due to entering loads of competitions which is my guilty pleasure.