Gransnet forums

Chat

A simple safe way to connect with kindness with a stranger

(11 Posts)
Applegran Thu 26-Nov-20 14:11:35

There is a charity which, several times a year, arranges for people to send cards to someone they don't know - and everone who takes part also recieves a card. It is about kindness, care, being cheering - reaching out to someone else. There is no follow up - you just send a card to a stranger and you receive one from someone else. Its simple and surprisingly cheering, and brings warmth and connection. They are just getting people to sign up for Christmas cards - it won't cost you more than a card and a stamp! Here is a link:
mentalhealthcollective.org.uk/kindness-by-post/

B9exchange Thu 26-Nov-20 14:35:20

I think it is a lovely idea, but in view of the other thread on transmission via Christmas cards, not sure how well this will go down!

Smileless2012 Thu 26-Nov-20 14:39:00

Thanks Applegran I'll add another card to my listsmile.

Bridie22 Thu 26-Nov-20 14:46:55

Added to the list ??

B9exchange Thu 26-Nov-20 14:53:38

I did sign up too!

quizqueen Thu 26-Nov-20 14:54:28

Many years ago, I once sent a card to a soldier serving abroad through some scheme and was shocked to get a reply and that he had obviously been given access to my address. I'll never do it again.

tiredoldwoman Thu 26-Nov-20 18:22:33

I quite like this idea but a bit worried about giving out my name, address and e mail or am I being scam sensitive ? It's a shame that scams have us alarmed nowadays .sad

Luckygirl Thu 26-Nov-20 19:38:57

How does it work with confidentiality of addresses/

MissAdventure Thu 26-Nov-20 19:40:36

It's a lovely idea, but I can't even be bothered to send cards to people I DO know. blush

Applegran Thu 26-Nov-20 19:51:51

No one is given your email address and the person who sends you a card is given your postal address and just your first name, so no surname. I've done this several times and had no problems at all - just some lovely messages!

CC90 Thu 26-Nov-20 20:15:30

I’ve signed up too !