Gransnet forums

Chat

secret santa gifts for someone you dont know that well

(33 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 30-Nov-20 13:49:06

My DD has to buy for work collegue who she doesn't really know that well. A lady in her fifties, my daughter in her 30's so she doesn't have a clue what to buy. I have suggested some things but wonder if any one could come up with a better idea. The budget is 10.00.

Puzzler61 Thu 10-Dec-20 19:36:39

I’m sure it will be appreciated travelsafar. It’s a very thoughtful selection and note in the bag - and she got a lot for her money.

Laughterlines Thu 10-Dec-20 10:01:19

Nice chocolates, sweeties or biscuits that can easily be regifted or shared round the office after Christmas.

MiniMoon Thu 10-Dec-20 09:53:10

I once had to buy a secret santa gift for a colleague at work who I didn't know very well. I did know that she had two black labs, and she lived in the country.
I bought a heavy metal doorstop in the shape of a cockerel. She loved it and went to the trouble of finding who had picked her name from the hat, so that she could thank me.
That, of course, is irrelevant now, but I thought I'd add to the thread as I have just seen it.

Calendargirl Thu 10-Dec-20 09:37:41

Sounds lovely Travelsfar.

travelsafar Thu 10-Dec-20 09:30:38

In the end my daughter bought a lovely candle holder with a battery operated tealight inside. an Amaryllis Bulb inside a Gold Pot holder, two pairs of snuggly bedsocks and a very small pack of truffles in the shape of a christmas cracker. All wrapped and put inside a Xmas bag and labelled as follows.

'Something to light the dark winter's nights.
Something to Nuture until Spring,
Something to keep your feet warm at night
And Something just because it is Christmas. '

It all came in just over 11.00 so she is happy. I just hope the lady who receives it appreciates the thought put into this gift.

mrswoo Fri 04-Dec-20 18:03:18

One year I didn’t get a secret Santa gift - but a colleague with the same name as mine got two. So obviously there had been a bit of a mix up. To be fair, the person with the two gifts said I could have one of hers ..... as it was a toss up between choosing a hideous woolly hat with a cockerel’s beak and comb or an edible thong I declined her kind offer ?

What I would have loved would be some nice soap, especially the type which are wrapped in beautiful paper, a journal of some description ( all that lovely blank paper!) or a M&S voucher which can be used for one of their eat in for two offers. Hope that helps.

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Dec-20 17:35:28

My husband once gifted a pineapple corer and a pineapple. That seemed like a nice idea! It was certainly unusual.

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Dec-20 17:34:19

I was given three pots of herbs on a little tray. The tray was quite smart and contemporary - a narrow sort (such as would fit on a window ledge) and the three herbs were the sort you might plant out if you had a garden - thyme, rosemary and sage. It was also a £10 secret Santa and I thought quite unusual and useful.

Megs36 Fri 04-Dec-20 17:22:55

Handcream mentioned a lot, the trouble with SS is you often don’t know the recipient at all, last year I got a very nice box of assorted hand creams, I have been fortunate enough to rarely need to use hand cream so another ‘re gifted’ present. I wonder how often that happens.

Billybob4491 Fri 04-Dec-20 17:12:15

Finding nemo - I thought a lady in her fifties probably would keep a diary in her handbag but what do I know!

Puzzler61 Fri 04-Dec-20 17:00:01

OP said the lady receiving the gift is in her fifties ?

FindingNemo15 Fri 04-Dec-20 10:26:09

Billybob I do not think 30 somethings use diaries or calendars as they are strapped to their phones for this kind of thing.

Calendargirl Fri 04-Dec-20 09:29:12

So much easier not to do Secret Santa. Another bit of needless angst!

Bah humbug!

Lucca Fri 04-Dec-20 08:38:34

One if those Oxfam gift cards

Billybob4491 Fri 04-Dec-20 08:32:13

Perhaps a diary or a calendar, if desperate a face mask!

PollyDolly Fri 04-Dec-20 07:46:53

I would opt for a scarf, a long one that you can fasten in countless different ways; there is a YouTube presentation on trendy scarf tying I beilieve!

Hand cream would be a safe alternative along with some nice smelling, conditioning hand sanitizer- very apt for the current situation - there's quite a lot of different ones available.

mumofmadboys Fri 04-Dec-20 07:38:14

I always think hand cream is really useful!

Puzzler61 Mon 30-Nov-20 20:04:11

* Delivery is free I just noticed.

Puzzler61 Mon 30-Nov-20 20:02:09

www.etsy.com/uk/listing/895087986/a-little-box-of-festive-cheer
When you add postage to this it would equal £10 travelsafar.
I’d love to receive this in a Secret Santa (and I’m a mature woman ? ).
I think Etsy have some wonderful gift ideas.

Lazyriver Mon 30-Nov-20 19:51:53

Someone gave me wooden hobby horse. Lilac head that went neigh if you pressed its ear. My grandchildren loved it and played with it for hours! Great success for a fiver.
Unfortunately there was a rather rude present for a so called ' party girl' who took great offense.
I've avoided secret Santa's as much as possible after that. It was very rude I have to say!

phoenix Mon 30-Nov-20 19:48:22

There are currently some really nice Amazon gift cards in lovely packaging. I've bought the ones in boxes with a felt reindeer ornament on the front for staff company Christmas gifts.

(I don't mean the reindeer was being felt, although it was smiling, rather it was made from felt)

No money wasted, recipient can choose their own stuff.

diygran Mon 30-Nov-20 19:40:00

I remember a secret santa I received when the budget was £5 was a pair of bedsocks! Very not impressed. This was a 30 something giving to me an ancient 55 at the time.

NotAGran55 Mon 30-Nov-20 19:20:54

In my last job I was given 4 sets of ‘nice soap and hand cream’ at various times .
I only kept the one that was cruelty free and donated the others to the charity shop.

Wine or luxury chocolates would be my choice of gift from a stranger .

There is no way anyone could know my home styling and colour scheme , consequently mugs, picture frames etc would almost certainly end up at the charity shop too!

Harris27 Mon 30-Nov-20 18:17:57

Next perfume is always acceptable and they do nice gift packages as well. I love nude it’s lovely. ( I’m 60) a young one?

Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 18:14:32

Everyone needs nice soap and/or handcream at the moment!

Most of the other presents being exchanged were along the lines of nipple tassels and the like ?
You can tell I don't get out much, even in normal times ?

V3ra I'd rather stay in grin