Gransnet forums

Chat

Donating Winter Fuel Allowance 2020

(53 Posts)
Cabbie21 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:05:11

I don’t mean this to sound like virtue signalling, especially as I dislike that phrase. I normally donate my WFA to a good cause. With all the different needs this year, I can’t decide. I would like to find a cause which is not getting any public funding this year, but not sure where to start.
Are you giving yours away this year?

ginny Tue 01-Dec-20 16:37:29

Can’t win can we. Of course if you need it , keep it but I don’t think should those who give it away should feel guilty. It will be doing a lot of good.

BlueBelle Tue 01-Dec-20 16:39:46

Thank you Charleygirl I couldn’t remember if it went in straight the way or not
I don’t think we should feel guilty if we don’t send it to charity I m pleased to get it and I support charities when I can

silverlining48 Tue 01-Dec-20 16:43:03

As Jean says, uk pensions are the lowest by far in Europe. Always has been. In the 60 s my aunts in Germany couldn't believe how little pension my mum got here and it just carried on. I remember pensioners freezing in their homes, starving, which is why the triple lock was introduced to stop by by guaranteeing a tiny annual increase to stop it drifting even further down.
If they now remove the triple lock as has been discussed recently then our pension will do just that. Drift southward,
After working full time from 15 til retirement I am on £130 pw which equates to £18 per day. Not a lot to keep a home, pay bills, buy food, run a car and have the occasional treat or outing.
I do what I can for charity but will be keeping my winter fuel allowance as it’s needed.

blondenana Tue 01-Dec-20 16:49:26

Got mine this week, will be keeping it, apart from paying something off 2 large vet bills for 2 cats dentals,which insurance doesn't cover
It would be nice not to need it, but it usually ends up going towards some other cause
My £10 bonus will go to an animal charity,as usual
I can't believe it is still only £10 after all the years of paying it,worth virtually nothing now, and some people only get that

BlueSky Tue 01-Dec-20 17:30:22

Agree with Janeainsworth too. Not everybody has big work pensions and every extra benefit is needed. Unfortunately I too think it’ll soon be means tested.

kittylester Tue 01-Dec-20 17:44:29

I don't see why the WFA, specifically, should be donated anywhere at all. Presumably, if you can donate to a cause that matters to you, then you will.

I do think it is silly to give it out across the board though.

Marmight Tue 01-Dec-20 18:07:58

What JaneA says - absolutely

bikergran Tue 01-Dec-20 18:24:04

My Warm Front Grant is paid directly into my gas/electricity account. You don't get a choice where it goes. So it is a big help come February knowing I will have £140 credit towards my bill.

Deedaa Tue 01-Dec-20 18:57:09

Mine basically funds Christmas, but I donate to the Salvation Army, Dogs On The Streets and one or two other charities which I probably wouldn't be able to do without the payment.

Lollin Tue 01-Dec-20 19:06:03

janeainsworth

The problem with broadcasting the fact that you’re giving away your WFA is that it is giving support to those who believe that old people don’t need these benefits and can manage perfectly well without them.
But many old people depend on it.
In fact, our state pensions are the lowest in Europe and we deserve every penny of the WFA.

Over the course of a year, I donate much more than the WFA to various charities.

But I’ve paid my NI contributions and I’m keeping my WFA, thank you.

Definitely worth repeating what janesainsworth posted and I don't receive it (yet) but know of people who rely on the extra bit of help.

Cabbie21 Tue 01-Dec-20 19:14:04

I apologise if I offended anyone by starting this thread. It was not intended. I do realise that the British pension is much lower than in other European countries and WFA helps to compensate. The Christmas bonus is ludicrous.
My mum, who had no pension in her own right, only through virtue of Dad’s contributions, was over the moon to get her £10, and each year she gave it away, bless her, so I suppose it is ingrained in me.
Benefits for those under pension age are not enough to live on and it is often a choice of heat or food for many of all ages.

janeainsworth Tue 01-Dec-20 20:01:13

You didn’t offend me, cabbie smile
I just think we have to be careful to avoid giving the government or anyone else any excuse to reduce or means test our pensions & allowances.
I don’t see the allowances as generous handouts. They’re part of the whole package which we’ve all worked for and contributed to.

Dinahmo Wed 02-Dec-20 17:57:11

Cabbie21 I'd just like to point out that those those charities that receive public funding do a lot of work that the govt/state should be doing.

Living in France we don't receive the fuel allowance which is a pity because it's much colder here than most of the UK.

Cabbie21 Wed 02-Dec-20 21:33:22

Totally agree, Dinahmo. We shouldn’t need food banks, for a start.

MayBee70 Mon 07-Dec-20 14:46:14

Well, I’ve had a letter saying I will only get half of the winter fuel payment because the other half will be paid to my ex husband who actually hasn’t lived here for 20 years. Really concerned about what other things the department is getting wrong. Can’t even get through to them on the phone as they keep cutting me off. Dread to think how people manage if they don’t have internet access.

Blossoming Mon 07-Dec-20 15:35:06

I don’t consciously give it away, but I do give more than the winter fuel allowance to Crisis at Christmas, as well as supporting local charities.

Blossoming Mon 07-Dec-20 15:41:38

Also, as a 50s baby, I’ve already been robbed of £30,000 worth of state pension to which I had already contributed in full,

MayBee70 Mon 07-Dec-20 23:50:24

Grief. Took me 4 goes to get through to someone. Had to wait in a queue for half an hour.Then had to tell them exact dates of when my husband left, when we moved into this house (45 plus years ago: no idea of the exact date). Plus other things that they needed an exact answer for. If I didn’t have that information in front of me I would have had to phone again and go into the queue again. How do people manage if they don’t have internet access or have a pay as you go phone?

Charleygirl5 Tue 08-Dec-20 05:40:23

If you blink you may miss it but I discovered by accident yesterday that my £10 Christmas fuel allowance (or whatever it is called) was in my bank account.

Kim19 Tue 08-Dec-20 09:14:53

No need to apologise, Cabbie. Nobody has to respond to your opener. However, I do feel that all donations should be strictly private particularly from those of 'celebrity' status. What's to be gained by telling anyone? Blurry halo?

JenniferEccles Tue 08-Dec-20 10:52:18

I am sure nobody was offended but it did remind me of a note we had through the door a few years ago from a neighbour announcing that they wouldn’t be sending any Christmas cards that year as they were donating the money to a charity instead.

All very commendable of course but they then included a link to their particular charity, inferring we might like to do the same.

Now that WAS a step too far!

Daddima Tue 08-Dec-20 18:40:49

Charleygirl, it’s called the Christmas bonus, and would apparently be £130 or thereabouts if it had risen in line with inflation.

cornergran Tue 08-Dec-20 20:39:37

No WFA yet but the £10 appeared today. Guess the WFA will appear at some point, usually have it mid November hmm.

Chewbacca Tue 08-Dec-20 20:45:16

Not had mine either cornergran, although the letter confirming I'd get it arrived weeks ago. Wish it would hurry up, I'm relying on it for my next bill gas and electricity bill.

Grannynannywanny Tue 08-Dec-20 20:48:43

My £10 appeared yesterday. I had the WFA letter a couple of weeks ago. I’ve not yet received the payment. Hopefully any day now.