Gransnet forums

Chat

Things your mother said that you never believed when you were younger.

(81 Posts)
trisher Wed 02-Dec-20 21:59:04

I remember when I was younger my mum telling me to tuck my top into my trousers because I'd get a draught. Then I ignored her because it didn't matter, I didn't feel the cold. But now I find myself tucking my vest in- and it is warmer. Has your mother ever turned out to be right about things?

Keffie12 Fri 04-Dec-20 23:07:15

My late mom used to say "youth is wasted on the young" I used to roll my eyes. Its only now in my 50s I get it and get why I didn't get it in my teens? 20s 30s and early 40s ?

JackyB Fri 04-Dec-20 22:50:54

I have been racking my brains to remember anything my mother ever told me, but all I can come up with is that she always got cross with me for leaving the car in gear and my foot on the clutch when waiting at traffic lights.

I know she was right but I've never got out of the habit.

Hellogirl1 Fri 04-Dec-20 20:02:18

AuntyFlo, my piano teacher used one of those long, extra thick pencils to rap knuckles, not a ruler.

MamaCaz Fri 04-Dec-20 17:36:01

Even at three years of age, I didn't believe my mum's - or anyone else's- 'illigical' claims

If she suspected me of not telling the truth, she would make my stick my tongue out, saying there would be a line on it if I was lying.
If I sucked, she would warn that if the wind changed direction, my face would stay like that.
One Christmas, she said that Father Christmas listened down chimneys and would known if I misbehaved.

I clearly remembering thinking to myself at the time that these things were completely untrue! I'm not sure what that says about me blush

Dottynan Fri 04-Dec-20 13:13:42

My husband's nan once told me " There are three sides to every story. Yours mine and the truth". How true

JessK Fri 04-Dec-20 10:55:53

When I started dating my Mum said - never trust a blond boy.
Not sure where she got that from but I did end up with a brown haired man so I must have been listening!

timetogo2016 Fri 04-Dec-20 10:52:35

My mum used to tell me to eat all my veg as it will put hairs on your chest REALLY ?.
You do know i am a girl mother dear.
And if i sat on the coffee table she would tell me tables are meant for glasses not asses off you get.

hollysteers Thu 03-Dec-20 22:03:53

“Nearly there!” when I felt sick on trams and buses.
Not true...

Oliviarae Thu 03-Dec-20 21:22:34

My mother said that but I didn’t ask why. ??

lilydily9 Thu 03-Dec-20 19:55:02

My mum told me that school days were the best of your life. They weren't.

maydonoz Thu 03-Dec-20 19:50:48

When I was a teenager, my lovely Mum used to say to me "you'll wash your hair white" as I washed it every other day or when going out. My hair is white now but I'm not not sure it's because I washed it too much!

gulligranny Thu 03-Dec-20 19:41:13

I remember sitting on the Tube with Mum when I was about 9 or 10, seeing an advertisement for a building society with the message that they were as reliable as the dates of solar eclipses and indicating that the next one would be in 1999. I asked mum how old I would be then, and she said I would be 54 - what rubbish was that, I thought to myself, I'd never be that old ....

Polly4t42 Thu 03-Dec-20 19:04:21

Eat your crusts and your hair will curl, still straight

grandMattie Thu 03-Dec-20 18:52:15

Rumpunch

grandMattie

If you play with matches in the evening, you’ll wet your bed. I did regardless.

Did you wet the bed or play with matches regardless? grin

Wet my bed. And when I was older and wiser, played with matches! ?

Kim19 Thu 03-Dec-20 18:50:51

'Keep a thing for seven years and you'll find a use for it'. I've found this amazingly true sometimes and always acknowledge with a wink and a nod Heavenwards. Oh yes.....

chloe1984 Thu 03-Dec-20 18:50:03

Tidiness is the best way to be lazy - you never have to spend time looking for stuff you can just find it right away. Once again she proved right.

Grandma11 Thu 03-Dec-20 18:47:16

Wearing Hot Pants and Crop tops can only end you in trouble!

Well not me exactly, but it did cause two cars to crash into each other as we crossed the road one day, my friend and I were on our way to a Dance, all dressed up in this 70s Height of fashion, and causing a fair few Pips and Wolf whistles along the way!
Except the traffic lights changed, and one young Lad smashed straight into the back of the car infront, due to looking and shouting after us, and not keeping his eye on where he was going!

Rosy2 Thu 03-Dec-20 17:59:08

Yes she always said ‘ if you want to keep a secret keep it to yourself.’ Too true

Grandma70s Thu 03-Dec-20 16:55:13

“Having young children is such a small part of your life”.

It felt quite long at the time.

grannydarkhair Thu 03-Dec-20 16:49:36

You'll enjoy listening to Shirley Bassey one day, and she was right.

Sadgrandma Thu 03-Dec-20 16:46:43

My mum told me that you couldn't get pregnant if you didn't have an orgasam ! She had three children my sister was nine years older than me and my brother 12 years younger!

Lillie Thu 03-Dec-20 16:44:59

Run upstairs for me and fetch _____, your legs are younger than mine.

newnanny Thu 03-Dec-20 14:22:03

My.Mum and Aunties always told me not to sit withy back to the fire as it would make me feel sick. Never understood it.

Rumpunch Thu 03-Dec-20 14:16:22

grandMattie

If you play with matches in the evening, you’ll wet your bed. I did regardless.

Did you wet the bed or play with matches regardless? grin

mrsgreenfingers56 Thu 03-Dec-20 14:14:19

Having sugar in tea or making sugar butties ((does anyone remember those?) would give you worms!