Gransnet forums

Chat

There's logic in it somewhere ?

(22 Posts)
phoenix Thu 03-Dec-20 14:56:37

But I'm struggling to find it!

Mr P decided he needed to get petrol, so offered to go shopping (again!)

I hastily made a meal plan for the next 5 days or so and based the shopping list on that.

One of the items was a very small pot of clotted cream for a particular recipe. I told him (and made a note on the list) that the village shop sold pots of exactly the right size.

Even gave him some cash, as they don't take card payments for less than £10.

He returned, and apart from a rather sad looking cauliflower which will need its black spots dealt with tchhmm himself thought it was just "dirt" and would wash off tchconfused all seemed to be well.

Until I got to the clotted cream. He seemed quite chuffed that he managed to get it in the supermarket, which "saved going to the village shop".

The pot was about 3 times the size I need. I pointed this out and asked what was to be done with the rest of it. He brightly suggested that I make some scones.

Apart from the fact that A) I'm the only one who would be eating them and B) I'm not well and the last thing I feel like doing is standing in the kitchen knocking up a batch of scones, this was a great idea, NOT. tchangry

I then pointed out that you also need jam for scones, and we don't have any.

He thought for a moment, and then triumphantly declared "Ah, but they sell it in the village shop!"

For some inexplicable reason, that song "There's a Hole in my Bucket" sprang to mind. tchconfused

Greyduster Thu 03-Dec-20 15:00:06

Oh, you’ve got one of those too, Phoenix! That’s comforting!

phoenix Thu 03-Dec-20 15:15:06

Greyduster strange creatures, aren't they?

Spinnaker Thu 03-Dec-20 15:16:59

Good to know I'm not alone with things like this Phoenix grin

Charleygirl5 Thu 03-Dec-20 15:18:53

phoenix are you sure that Mr P is employable because I seriously have my doubts.

Everybody knows standing in a kitchen making scones you do not want or need when you are unwell and suffering from COPD will do you the world of good.

I think it is better you do not live remotely close to me or he would hear the wisdom I would give him for free!

phoenix Thu 03-Dec-20 15:22:33

Charleygirl he's an engineer, they are known for not having their brains wired the same as "normal" people!tchwink

phoenix Thu 03-Dec-20 16:15:23

Actually, now I could just fancy a scone, still warm from the oven, with clotted cream and jam................tchblush

Won't be happening though! tchgrin

crazyH Thu 03-Dec-20 16:17:23

??

farview Thu 03-Dec-20 16:59:30

...sorry Phoenix..but you're H does provide some smiles on GN ?

phoenix Thu 03-Dec-20 17:46:22

farview he does have his moments!

As a silly bit of fun, I bought us each a traditional advent calendar, mine is in the kitchen, his in the office.

Each day we compare notes as to what the picture is (they are 2 different designs)

Today he told me his was a Christmas wreath.

I told him what mine was, and he looked quite alarmed, and said "I'm not sure that's very festive or appropriate!"

It was actually a pair of red mittens, but he thought I'd said knickers tchconfused

The sooner I can get him for a hearing test the better! tchgrin

jusnoneed Thu 03-Dec-20 18:05:57

He does give us some laughs. The male logic is something to wonder at sometimes.

You can freeze fresh clotted cream, you will have some to hand next time you want to make your recipe.

B9exchange Thu 03-Dec-20 18:12:42

Definitely freeze the clotted cream, or else make double or triple your recipe and freeze portions for later.

But you have my sympathy. DH went out to rig up the outside Christmas lights, and discovered that his enthusiastic hedge cutting had cut through the cable of an expensive set of lights in the tree. Words failed me!

Callistemon Thu 03-Dec-20 18:14:16

I have frozen clotted cream occasionally.

Alternately, you can send it by post.

My address is:
Callistemon Towers
Up the Hill
Somewhere in Wales

DH loves clotted cream but I ration him.

phoenix Thu 03-Dec-20 18:18:18

Callistemon tchgrintchgrin

Callistemon Thu 03-Dec-20 18:20:33

I jest not!
My MIL used to post us clotted cream from Devon and I had to let her know in the end that the one made locally to her was available in our local Tesco in Wales.
Alas, no longer.

phoenix Thu 03-Dec-20 18:21:04

B9exchange

Definitely freeze the clotted cream, or else make double or triple your recipe and freeze portions for later.

But you have my sympathy. DH went out to rig up the outside Christmas lights, and discovered that his enthusiastic hedge cutting had cut through the cable of an expensive set of lights in the tree. Words failed me!

B9exchange I feel your pain!

Unfortunately, making double or triple quantities isn't an option on this occasion, as I have the right amount of everything else, and freezer space is becoming rather limited tchblush

MawBe Thu 03-Dec-20 20:58:57

tchgrintchgrin
What a star phoenix !

What is it about Christmas lights?
Our first rabbit miraculously survived nibbling through the flex one year, but did jump several inches in the air!
I too managed to cut through the flex another year when I thought one branch needed trimming.
Then there’s the tale of the bush..... but that’s for another day tcrblush

Callistemon Thu 03-Dec-20 23:02:28

Can't wait, MawB!

Ohmother Fri 04-Dec-20 09:32:15

A husband was sent on an errand to the shops “Get us a litre of semi-skimmed milk and if they have any eggs left get me 6.”

He returned with 6litres of milk as ‘Yes, they had eggs’. ??

timetogo2016 Fri 04-Dec-20 10:31:29

Glad to know i`m not alone ladies.
Dh went into Aldi`s and came out with a smile on his face and told me he has bought us a treat,fresh cream doughnuts Belguin buns and a bottle of red wine.
Great about the wine,but i don`t like either of the cakes,but at least i had something to hit him over the head with,once it`s empty.

Rosalyn69 Fri 04-Dec-20 10:39:41

What lovely stories. Thank you for making me smile.

toscalily Fri 04-Dec-20 12:04:56

I do all the shopping. Once first lockdown eased OH wanted to go to get some toiletries for himself, first & only time near a shop for months. I asked if he would get two large containers of milk and a 4 pack of the yoghurt that only he eats. He came back with his items, and 4 pack of yoghurt, I said where's the milk, swore under breath and went straight out again. If he had to do a whole weeks shopping, wearing a mask, juggling bags, trolleys and the non distancing public I would dread to think what we would be eating.