Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(77 Posts)
12Michael Sat 05-Dec-20 06:08:59

Good Morning Everyone,
Its looking dry and cold out there despite being dark this morning as usual.
Hopefully today , I will bus to Buckingham and then Bicester and may return that way .
I am hoping that someone who I have become friends with gets on the buckingham bus so I can give her a xmas card .
Return home and maybe a Chinese take away later .
Take Care ,
Mick

Sark Sat 05-Dec-20 18:34:43

Sorry very late but *Happy birthday Pantglas

Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 14:54:45

- sorry
Gillyanne

Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 14:51:55

‘Inch Worm’ oh that brings back memories Cathyanne!
?
I used to love listening to Children’s family favourites when I was at junior school. I think this later became Junior Choice with Stewpot? Songs for children like ‘Hello Mudder, Hello Fadder (here I am at ... Camp Granada’. And others too numerous to mention. You’ve got me thinking now!

Gillyanne Sat 05-Dec-20 13:31:11

Hello from a wet and cold North Cambs.
The snow has finally gone and now the rain has flooded the back garden and caused the pond to over flow !

Thank you so much for making me welcome yesterday , this is such a wonderful club to be part of.

Marydoll I'm a redhead too, not as dark as it used to be but the freckles are still everywhere.
Take care everyone and keep smiling , be kind to yourselves and hum a happy tune when you feel sad (Inch Worm by Danny Kaye works for me)

EllanVannin Sat 05-Dec-20 13:14:54

Aw, Dragonfly, bless you. It can, and has been trying at times but I swear it's what keeps me going grin
I often say " ours is a nice house ours is ", with irony at times.

Not always family life at its best but you have to get over those hurdles and keep going for your own sanity grin

My D's ex is turned 60 now and not particularly in the best of health but she couldn't see him on the street either and because he can be available at any time to pick up the children, it's working well. Taking the dog out and cleaning the parrot's cage----it's like having a butler.

One thing I am relieved about is that my D has no financial worries as I drummed it into her that there were more families in a worse state than herself so she should be lucky in that respect. It's one thing supporting family but it's another if you're struggling financially as well.

You have to all work together, that's the answer.

dragonfly46 Sat 05-Dec-20 12:38:07

I love your family stories Ellan. Being an only child and my DH only having one sister we are a very small family in comparison. I do envy people with a lot of relatives even if they do cause problems.

Taichinan Sat 05-Dec-20 12:30:56

Your DD sounds like a chip off the old block Ellan - and what a story about her ex! I do hope all turns out well for all concerned.
Hollysteers I too wake up vaguely depressed these days - as I suspect do all who live alone. To add to it, I am very very "hard of hearing", so phonecalls are a no-no. When I do get to chat to an actual someone I tend to mislay the off-switch!! So I come on gransnet to announce I can see a whole rainbow. Oh dear. ?

hollysteers Sat 05-Dec-20 11:50:19

Morning Mick and everyone. I hope you see your friend on the bus Mick, it’s handy to pass a card over that way.
I will read the thread later, my iPad conked out so have recharged it.
I sometimes wonder what to say as life is so quiet here at Sunny View on the west coast of Lancashire. Last night I finished my book “Miss Pettigrew lives for a day’ recommended by my sister but a bit too light for me. I will pass it on to my sister in law. Next one, a Dorothy Whipple.
I feel low when I wake up in the morning as it is all so samey at the moment. Main problem today is will the cat eat the reserve cheap cat food she doesn’t like, don’t want to waste it!
Going to write a bereavement card to a lovely Irish neighbour of my daughter in the south who has lost his wife. I only met him once with my granddaughter and he pressed a £10 note into her hand. I also have a urinary infection so should ring the doc, but putting it off.
Thoughts to Grammaretto, Iris and all who are worried,

Doodle Sat 05-Dec-20 11:36:50

Appy burfday Pants. Don’t let Miss Doll catch you wiv that booze or yule be in d’ tenshun. ????????

Nannytopsy Sat 05-Dec-20 11:29:02

Ellan you just have to wonder, don’t you? I hope he does sort out your granddaughter.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 05-Dec-20 11:26:47

Good Morning all from bright, chilly Harrogate
Happy birthday Pantglas and many more
GrandMattie with little Iris, where there's a will, there's a way! She'll be fine.
I found some old photos in the attic, look like school photos, one date 1908 - my mother is supposed to be in it (difficult because she wasn't born for another 6 years!!) They are a school in Deganwy, think the other could be a Sunday School, it's taken by a photographer - Evans, Conwy.
After keeping them this long, it's a pity to chuck them out!!
That will keep me busy finding who's in them!

Chins up, folks. Tomorrow is another day!

Blossoming Sat 05-Dec-20 11:23:29

Happy Birthday Pantglas2

Glad Iris is doing well grandMattie

EllanVannin Sat 05-Dec-20 11:14:15

Good Morning All x. Happy Birthday Pantglas x flowers

Sky is brightening here on the Costa Mersey after a damp night, no snow though.
Deliveries were expected yesterday but only one or two materialised, possibly a weather problem,so sitting tight today.

Gingster you made me think about your trolley because I used to say the same thing until quite recently. Even the short visits to the local shops I no longer feel as though my arms are coming out of their sockets----I don't care anymore how I look grin

Loving everyone's happiness and positivity, hope it lasts. x
Urmston I'm another softee when it comes to the family and have gone above and beyond in the past as does D !
Even now with things as upside down as they are within the family there was ( big parcel just arrived as I write ) another " happening ".

D's ex. turned up on the doorstep with his belongings grin They've been divorced for years and he was thrown out by his partner." No room at the inn", so D showed him the new shed outside grin I couldn't stop laughing. However, he's staying with my GD but said he'll go ahead next year for permission to have a conservatory built onto D's house, mmm.

My reason for laughing is that this partner suffers bi-polar and has nearly killed him a couple of times due to her behaviour and it's landed him in hospital. He was in hospital 2 years ago, Christmas, after a heart attack so now he's taken redundancy from his job and is splashing out on the family for a change.

He runs his GC to school which frees up D with her shifts at work and is generally falling over himself to help. Children are delighted with extra pocket money and above all there's no animosity within the household when he's there.

No way will I interfere in any way, so long as my D and the children are alright that's all that matters and I know that they all are. I'm hoping that he'll help in some way with his wayward daughter----mother of the children.

Honestly, you couldn't make it up grin I just take a back seat and hope for the best. Typical of D to take in all the waifs and strays. Her table at Christmas will be creaking ! There's nobody else I know who's like her.

Anyway, with yet more off my chest boring everyone to death I'll wish you all a good day and stay safe. Thoughts to Gilly who I hope is bearing up under the strain of this year x
Take care all xx

Blossoming Sat 05-Dec-20 11:06:06

Good morning everyone, cold and bright here this morning. Hope we are all keeping safe and warm.

Taichinan Sat 05-Dec-20 10:58:16

Good morning everyone from a wintry Angus coast. So lovely to hear everybody's good news this morning! Welcome homes and well dones abound to say nothing of reunions. And then of course there are Brief Encounters, (Mawbe ?), and a Happy Birthday to Pantglas! At this rate there will certainly be a pot of gold for Harrigran at the end of her neighbours' rainbow. And as I typed that I looked up and there is a beautiful fat chunk of rainbow across the water from me!
I did have plans to go to a garden centre in a nearby town today, but then again I may not as it is Saturday and it will probably be mobbed. I'll wait til Monday. So another "self-indulgent" day in prospect.
I did attend the streaming of DD's FiL's funeral yesterday and saw both her and DGD3 speaking. It was amazing (to me!) to be able to do that, and it was a beautiful farewell. My thoughts were also with Grammaretto as I watched - as they are today ?.

Now off I go to indulge - in what, I know not. Have the best day you can everyone ???

Redhead56 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:37:57

Good morning it’s damp dull and chilly on Merseyside. I have been busy clearing leaves and emptying pots in the garden. Takeaway food tonight I made a steak kidney and stilton pie for tomorrow. We have dessert at the weekend I usually make my own but I was tempted by Belgian chocolate cheesecake from Aldi. It’s been tasted and it’s delicious not too sweet but just right. I just whizzed into the local shop yesterday without looking at the centre aisles where Christmas gifts are. I might just do that today anyway have a nice weekend everyone.

BlueSapphire Sat 05-Dec-20 10:19:23

Good morning everyone from DD's in East Northants. It was bright and sunny when I started reading this thread, but has since clouded over.

Rained all day yesterday, so didn't manage a walk to the postbox. Made a lemon drizzle cake which I've brought over to DD's, so hope it tastes ok. Should do, as it's Mary Berry's recipe.

Nothing planned for today except watching rugby, some reading and looking on while DD and DS-in-law get the tree down and decorate it. Not happy about last night's rugby! We lost the match in the last seconds of the game, and we had been playing so well..... final score was 18-17.

Happy birthday ? to Pantglas! And glad to hear about little Iris.

Look after yourselves, everyone, especially Grammaretto, and stay safe.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:13:47

Morning all from a - wait for it - DRY and bright South Notts where it has stopped raining at last. Ventured out to the hairdresser yesterday and on the way back I collected a book from my sister.

Said book is about sock knitting and we had a 'safe' chat on the porch. It will hopefully guide me on my way and provide further inspiration for future pairs. I have started decreasing for the gussets at each side of the instep and it feels a slow process as I am a slow clumsy knitter at the best of times.

Happy Birthday Pantglas I'm sure an extra helping of the chamberpot is in order plus something a little stronger later. Hope today is kind for those with illness or worries.

hulahoop Sat 05-Dec-20 10:08:47

Good morning from w/York's happy birthday pantsglas
Very tired this morning after bad night worrying about son &family fingers crossed gc and dil not showing any symptoms .Just put first batch of eccles cakes in oven oh can't wait to try them !!

Gelisajams Sat 05-Dec-20 10:08:38

Good morning from a cool now dry Morecambe Bay. We have had the usual rain overnight.
I’ve been on the phone to my friend in Somerset for ages then DS2 called so I’m later than usual this morning.
Good to read Iris is to come home and Happy Birthday to Pantglass I can visualise where you will be walking MoMB so do take extra care.
I wonder if Gilly ever pops in or realises how much we all miss her? It’s just about 12 months since her poor DH was in ICU.
For everyone with problems ? take care and stay safe everyone ?

annsixty Sat 05-Dec-20 10:06:09

Good morning all on a nothing sort of day in Stockport.
We did have a very short period of snow yesterday but the ground was so wet it just melted on contact.

Happy birthday to Pantglas yes please to Champagne and we should also raise a glass to brave Iris, what a trooper she is.

MissChateline so happy for you, I wish we could be saying the same to Ashcombe.

We ( that is the royal we) have moved the furniture to accommodate the Christmas tree which may go up today.
If not for my GD I wouldn’t bother,I can’t get into the spirit.

As per usual, nothing happening today, apart from 2 nights in hospital I have been saying the same thing every morning for 9 months now.
This too will pass.

Have the best day you can everyone.

MawBe Sat 05-Dec-20 10:02:40

Good morning all - as somebody said -Brrrr!
I can’t possibly comment on everybody’s news but ??? for little Iris , and Happy Birthday Pantglas ? ? ?.
Enjoy your trip out Mick, glad you are feeling better.
(Is anybody else getting Brief Encounter? )
Christmas cards today and more throw sewing up (you’ve got to be careful how you say that!)
Wishing you all a pleasant day!

Grandmabatty Sat 05-Dec-20 09:51:58

I knew I'd forget something! Pantsglas Happy birthday to you.

Nannytopsy Sat 05-Dec-20 09:40:02

Good morning Mick and all his followers. It’s bright and sunny here in Suffolk - what a lovely change! There was so much water lying in the fields yesterday and draining onto the lanes. I went through one flood which was pretty deep but luckily I made it. I wonder if the lanes up by Kitty are flooded yet?
Good news for Iris & MissChateline and a very happy birthday to Pantglas ?.
Sewing and rugby here today.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

GrannySomerset Sat 05-Dec-20 09:39:46

What a lot of news this morning and quite a lot of it cheerful, so a good start to the morning. Grey, cold and raining in our bit of North Somerset but the sky is brightening and I may take the Christmas cards to the post. Or I may not. We’ll see. At least they are done, which is more than can be said for presents which are likely to take the form of theatre vouchers for the AC and A......... vouchers for the teenagers. One or two things ordered on line several weeks ago have not arrived and I must do some chasing up.