Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone on circadian / melatonin for sleep issues?

(7 Posts)
Bbbface Mon 07-Dec-20 10:40:39

What’s your dose? How often a week do you take it? Does it work?
All guidance says no longer than 13 weeks but what happens after 13 weeks?!

Many thanks

Fennel Mon 07-Dec-20 12:16:45

I tried melatonin, can't remember what dosage. But it lost its effectiveness after a while. Some improvement at first.
I used it every night on going to bed.

Jane43 Mon 07-Dec-20 12:33:49

I tried Melatonin years ago for jet lag as we used to travel to the USA and Canada quite a lot and you could buy it off the shelf in supermarkets and pharmacies. It didn’t work for me but perhaps the dose wasn‘t right.

Toadinthehole Mon 07-Dec-20 12:46:49

It’s the same as any other sleeping pill, it’s addictive and won’t work if you keep taking it, so you up the dose which is exactly what you don’t want to happen. I take the lowest dose of zopiclone if I’m not asleep by 2am, but I limit it to twice a week. This has worked well for 5 years. Sometimes I can go weeks without it. Someone on here suggested nutmeg in warm milk before bed. I found that helpful. Also.....white noise. What causes your sleep issues? Do you know? I’m sure mine were kicked off with the start of menopause. It’s such a nuisance isn’t it? Can ruin the whole next day?

MiniMoon Mon 07-Dec-20 14:09:05

My grandsons have autism and ADHD. They take melatonin before bed otherwise they would have very little sleep. Melatonin is not addictive, and is a synthetic hormone. Taking too much can reduce your body's natural production, so the correct dose is important.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 07-Dec-20 14:44:15

It’s not addictive, but there’s uncertainty about the long term affects. There’s some evidence to show it may cause anxiety and depression if used for too long.

Toadinthehole Mon 07-Dec-20 14:47:43

I stand corrected. My friend’s granddaughter takes it for severe insomnia. She has several medical issues including Aspergers. She was told it was addictive, the same as other sleeping tablets, but on looking it up, I find it isn’t.