Gransnet forums

Chat

Father Christmas, Mother Christmas

(8 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 08-Dec-20 22:34:59

Chatting to a couple of friends today, the subject of Father Christmas came into our conversation, and I was saying I haven’t heard the term Mother Christmas for a few years, Has anyone else,

Daddima Tue 08-Dec-20 22:38:19

I’ve never heard it! I think it’s usually Santa Claus here in Scotland.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 08-Dec-20 22:48:27

When my eldest grandchild was around 5/6 they had a Christmas fete, and both Father Christmas was there and then Mother Christmas appeared

TrendyNannie6 Tue 08-Dec-20 22:49:00

I should have added at his school

NotTooOld Tue 08-Dec-20 23:01:28

If you ask me it's nearly always Mother Christmas who does the present buying and wrapping while Father Christmas watches football/ nips out for a pint/makes a 'quick' phone call. And then after Mother Christmas has bought and wrapped the presents she gets on with making the mince pies, stuffing the turkey, organising guest beds, thinking up party games etc etc. grin

JackyB Wed 09-Dec-20 08:41:14

We always used to have little extra presents on the tree which we opened after lunch on Christmas day or on Boxing day. The label said "From Mother Christmas". But they were in my mother's handwriting.

Grandmabatty Wed 09-Dec-20 09:17:40

I have never heard that at all. As Daddima said, Santa Claus is the term used most in Scotland, I think.

Witzend Wed 09-Dec-20 10:53:15

Never a Thing at all when I was a child. I’d always assumed that FC was a bachelor. I particularly love Raymond Briggs’ grumpy old FC coming home after his hard night’s work and getting his own big dinner ready - ‘Lovely pud!’

However I will confess to knitting a mini ‘Mrs Claus’ from a Jean Greenhowe pattern, to go in pocket 23 of the mega Advent Calendar I made for Gdcs last year. Pocket 24 was Father Christmas of course. ???