Gransnet forums

Chat

Rather pay than give in

(730 Posts)
Parky Wed 09-Dec-20 08:12:14

Personally I would rather UK left EU without a deal than give up our freedom. We can avoid buying French food and wine, on the wholecwe drink new world wines anyway.
British cheeses are just as good.

As for travel, we all managed before freedom of movement and can easily go back.

The thought of caving into europe and their desire to annexe uk fills me with horror

kittylester Wed 09-Dec-20 13:49:20

'It draws contributions from all sorts of folks' is the quote Ellianne. Not at all light hearted.

MawBe Wed 09-Dec-20 13:52:28

lemongrove

Ellianne

It is a bizarre thread, but amusant because I have just spent all yesterday sourcing French foods for Noël as we can't go over to buy them this year. Having to pay a lot more than usual for French pastis, cidre, chocolate powder, salad dressings, etc. as British alternatives just don't cut the moutarde.

Then Noel will have to learn to do without them ( joke)??

tchgrintchgrin

Hyacinth lives to fight another day!

PS who buys their salad dressings - that’s cheating and comes under convenience food in my livre.

twinnytwin Wed 09-Dec-20 13:59:32

I believe the EU are going to make it difficult as possible for the UK as if our economy thrives in the ongoing years, more countries are going to want to go their own way too. There'll be pain to start with of course, but I believe the UK will go strength to strength. The EU need our trade too. And yes, I voted to Remain but we have to deal with things in the real world.

mcem Wed 09-Dec-20 14:19:06

Many of us hope that in the near future RUK chugs along under its own steam while Scotland is an equal at the EU table.

Ellianne Wed 09-Dec-20 14:56:31

kittylester

'It draws contributions from all sorts of folks' is the quote Ellianne. Not at all light hearted.

Zut alors, that's exactly why I asked to rehash the wording of my comment kittylester. Maybe I need to add a bit more crème anglaise to soften my acerbic French tongue.

Talking of acidic lemongrove, the salad dressing is a boring off the supermarché shelf type. It just reminds me of Christmases past in France. I drizzle it on everything. Sacré bleu.

Glad the culinary adjuncts are whetting l'appétit of some here.

Ellianne Wed 09-Dec-20 15:01:38

Sorry that was meant for MawBe.

kittylester Wed 09-Dec-20 15:21:06

Sorry, Ellianne, I didnt realise you were french or I would have made allowances.

Marydoll Wed 09-Dec-20 15:26:01

Ellianne you have just reminded me to put Caesar salad dressing on my online shopping list, it's too much of faff to make it, when it's only for one. Merci à vous!

Blossoming Wed 09-Dec-20 15:32:45

Alegrias2

*Unsafe link 25Avalon. Don't follow it people.*

I think it should be gov.uk ?

25Avalon Wed 09-Dec-20 16:03:36

Quite so Blossoming. Sorry about that. Predictive text again. But as I said there are other websites to check on.

geekesse Wed 09-Dec-20 16:38:38

I’ve read the OP and all the replies, and I still fail to see what the OP is talking about. What freedoms would / will ‘we’ give up if there is a deal?

MawBe Wed 09-Dec-20 16:39:58

Ellianne

Sorry that was meant for MawBe.

What was meant for me?

NfkDumpling Wed 09-Dec-20 16:41:46

What do you mean Parky that British cheeses are just as good. British cheeses are much, much better!

Ellianne Wed 09-Dec-20 16:55:09

Roquefort or Stilton for Christmas?

kittylester Wed 09-Dec-20 16:57:42

Colston Basset stilton - just down the road. Stilton sauce on tomorrow's steak too.

Ellianne Wed 09-Dec-20 17:09:32

Didn't EU rules say that Stilton cannot be made in the Cambridgeshire village of Stilton? I think it has to be Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire.
Maybe after Brexit that rule can be lifted!

kittylester Wed 09-Dec-20 17:15:59

Our stilton comes from Notts or Leics which is a bit silly really.

Deedaa Wed 09-Dec-20 17:21:42

Gorgonzola dolce for Christmas. There is no British equivalent. Also haven't found British versions of Asiago or Fontina. At least Jody Scheckter is producing decent Mozzarella di Buffala but decent British made salami costs a fortune. At this rate we'll be back to buying little bottles of olive oil from the chemist.

vegansrock Wed 09-Dec-20 17:31:08

I’m not sure what freedoms we didn’t have either. The big growth in the U.K. economy has come in the last 40 years - did people really feel like they no freedoms? To do what exactly? People like the OP don’t care about the immense damage to the U.K. economy, , already in the doldrums, as long as they have some mythical “freedom”.

25Avalon Wed 09-Dec-20 17:34:05

Try Alex James Blue Monday which is very similar to Gorgonzola. Only snag is you probably won’t be able to get your mitts on it until after Christmas. Not online anyway. Hardly any online cheese deliveries left unless you live within 10 miles of Stow on the Wold and visit The Cotswold Cheese company shop. Have a look online anyway as they do loads of fabulous artisan English cheeses including single Gloucester. A Treat in the New Year.

25Avalon Wed 09-Dec-20 17:39:25

Btw isn’t Gorgonzola Italian?

Lucca Wed 09-Dec-20 17:41:57

Has Parky come back to tell us what freedoms we would have to give up? No? Quelle surprise, as ellianne would say.

Ellianne Wed 09-Dec-20 18:06:14

Boris has just arrived in Brussels for his dinner date with the EU chief von der Leyen.
Any ideas what might be on the menu? Fish?

Dinahmo Wed 09-Dec-20 18:12:36

Jane10

Yes. Odd thread really. We were just reminiscing yesterday about the time when you could only take £50 abroad. Anyone else remember that?

Yes and I remember the time when the amount of wine, spirits and perfume that we could bring back was limited.

All those people who used to take their vans or large cars over to Calais to stock up on booze for a wedding or other celebration are in for a shock when they get the bill for extra tax.

lemongrove Wed 09-Dec-20 18:13:28

I was idly wondering the same Elliane ? a nice bit of haddock perchance.