Gransnet forums

Chat

Shingles, have I mentioned it on GN?

(19 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sun 13-Dec-20 14:44:38

I don’t think I have mentioned the fact that my mum has it at the moment but have been discussing it extensively on messenger with my sisters.
This advert has appeared today!

Scary?

MayBee70 Sun 13-Dec-20 14:48:09

I sometimes only have to think things and adverts appear on my iPad. Scary isn’t it!

lemsip Sun 13-Dec-20 14:56:50

I have recently had the shingles jab! I was told it is very painful nerve pain especially if you get it on the face.

petra Sun 13-Dec-20 15:09:17

PamelaJ1
How do you think Mr Zuckerburg makes his squillions of dollars. He sells your information.

MayBee70 Sun 13-Dec-20 15:11:14

And Bezos.

PamelaJ1 Sun 13-Dec-20 15:36:36

I think that one just has to accept it or you would drive yourself mad with worry.
Anyway, mum has it on her face, in her mouth and ear but it hasn’t gone into her eye thank goodness.
She has been, and still is, a very unhappy woman.
I will sign up for my jab as soon as I hit 70.

MayBee70 Sun 13-Dec-20 15:38:34

Not only is it very painful but it can leave people feeling depressed afterwards. Are they still only giving the vaccine to two age groups? I’d have it tomorrow if I could.

Situpstraight2 Sun 13-Dec-20 15:42:16

DH had his jab in the Summer, he was contacted by the surgery and as our niece has had Shingles and it’s aftermath nearly all year, he was happy to have it.
I’ve never had Chickenpox, so I think I might not need to have the jab, not sure though.

PamelaJ1 Sun 13-Dec-20 15:56:29

Situpstraight. Are you sure? Mum didn’t think she had had it but was, obviously, wrong.
I think that you are safe if you really haven’t had chickenpox but believe you can catch chickenpox from someone with shingles. Someone on here will let us know for sure!
Apparently the injection isn’t very effective after 80 and she must have been too old when they started the inoculation programme because she was never offered it.

Situpstraight2 Sun 13-Dec-20 19:19:45

Yep, never had Chicken Pox or German Measles.
I had Mumps and ordinary measles between 3 and 5 , then nothing, even though I was taken to Chicken Pox and German Measles parties!
Not having Chicken Pox hasn’t bothered me , but I had to have injections when I was pregnant and a friend caught German Measles.

lemsip Sun 13-Dec-20 19:28:59

re; If you've had chicken pox or can't remember:
From a NHS site
Do I need the shingles vaccine if I've never had chickenpox?
Yes. The chances are that you have had chickenpox at some point without knowing it. Some people have chickenpox without displaying any of the typical chickenpox symptoms, such as a rash.

Elusivebutterfly Sun 13-Dec-20 19:30:27

Does your GP call you for your shingles jab or do you have to ask for it?
Where I used to live I was always called for the flu jab but they don't call you here, just leave it up to you to ask for it.

marta74 Sun 13-Dec-20 19:36:03

Just ring your GP and ask if you can have it.

M0nica Sun 13-Dec-20 22:54:45

I have definitely had chicken pox, It was the one childhood disease I had badly.

My mother and her sister had shingles in their 60s and were very unwell. DD had it in her 20s, and was also quite unwell, so I had the shingles jab the moment I was offered it.

Situpstraight2 Mon 14-Dec-20 09:25:57

I’ll certainly have the injection when offered, but I’m not 70 yet.

JenniferEccles Mon 14-Dec-20 09:33:09

Pharmacists can give shingles vaccines privately which is worth a thought for those not in the right age group to have it at GP surgeries.

It would be necessary to book an appointment as I understand they have to order it in specially.

Shingles is such a painful, unpleasant thing to have and for some people the effects linger long after the rash has healed.

Deedaa Mon 14-Dec-20 09:42:18

I always thought that I'd never had chicken pox, certainly nothing with the blisters and scarring that the other children got. However I survived both my children catching it and two of my grandsons (one of them twice!) so I must have picked up immunity somewhere, As soon as I hit 70 I had a phone call from my GP saying "Congratulations! Now you're 70 you can have the shingles jab!" So I did.

Sarnia Mon 14-Dec-20 09:46:12

Big Brother is watching you!!!

Charleygirl5 Mon 14-Dec-20 10:06:17

I had chickenpox as a child and shingles after I retired but luckily it did not go near my face- only my body. I was called to have the jab when I was 70 and I would advise everybody to do so. It can be so nasty.