Gransnet forums

Chat

A light hearted look at Covid!

(52 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 18-Dec-20 09:16:39

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where we can post anything Covid related that actually gives you a chuckle rather than the usual doom and gloom that dampens our spirits.

I'll kick off with this very funny article by Richard Littlejohn. It had me chortling over my porridge this morning.

Oh Locked down town of Bethlehem.

Please post any funny overheard conversations, TV reviews, 'You couldn't make it up' observations etc., etc.,

Urmstongran Fri 18-Dec-20 12:07:38

Covid Humour is difficult right now for many of us. Our daughter just getting over 9 weeks of long Covid made us all anxious. So many folk are missing friends & relatives. Covid is still out there so laughing about it isn’t easy.

But as GG13 said it’s gallows-humour. If we didn’t laugh about it now and again we’d cry. I know I’m more emotional these days as the year has unfolded.

It has affected businesses too. People’s incomes etc.

However, in the spirit of this thread here’s my offering ....

trisher Fri 18-Dec-20 12:08:55

I liked this

Lucretzia Fri 18-Dec-20 12:16:24

Love that one, trisher

I'm not opposed to laughing in the face of adversity . I just didn't find the article particularly amusing

However, I do read the Daily Mash.

I find that very amusing .

But not to everyone's taste

The Do They Know it's Covid is OK but not a patch on the Donald Trump/Hilary Clinton one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Wde1fFvPg

Alima Fri 18-Dec-20 12:17:20

Definitely need a like button on this site!

MissAdventure Fri 18-Dec-20 12:19:48

youtu.be/6F6OTkahENk

Lucretzia Fri 18-Dec-20 12:23:24

I'm liking that one. MissAdventure smile

Tweedle24 Fri 18-Dec-20 12:26:07

I can see why some people don’t appreciate this thread but, it is easy enough to anticipate the content from the title and post. Avoid reading further.

I am loving some of the cartoons.

merlotgran Fri 18-Dec-20 12:30:56

Love that, trisher tchgrin

BlueSky Fri 18-Dec-20 12:32:20

Urmston tchgrin

GrannyGravy13 Fri 18-Dec-20 12:33:22

MissAdventure that is very good ??

MissAdventure Fri 18-Dec-20 12:34:58

smile
It made me smile (sort of; I know it's a difficult time)

TwinLolly Fri 18-Dec-20 12:37:25

If you think things are bad, think of Santa's problems! shock wink tchgrin

merlotgran Fri 18-Dec-20 12:40:06

It's great, MissA. Just sent it off to DGS1. He'll love it. tchgrin

Ailidh Fri 18-Dec-20 12:56:24

Wasn't keen on the Locked Down Bethlehem but I like the principle of gallows humour.

Nicked this from a friend on Facebook, apologies to the original writer, sorry I can't attribute:

Gold’s top 20 funniest new Christmas cracker jokes for 2020 are revealed as:

1. What is Dominic Cummings’ favourite Christmas song? Driving Home for Christmas

2. Did you hear that production was down at Santa's workshop? Many of his workers have had to Elf isolate!

3. Why didn't Mary and Joseph make it to Bethlehem? All Virgin flights were cancelled

4. Why are Santa's reindeer allowed to travel on Christmas Eve? They have herd immunity

5. Why did the pirates have to go into lockdown? Because the "Arrrr!" rate had risen

6. Why is it best to think of 2020 like a panto? Because eventually, it's behind you

7. Why couldn't Mary and Joseph join their work conference call? Because there was no Zoom at the inn

8. Why can't Boris Johnson make his Christmas cake until the last minute? He doesn't know how many tiers it should have

9. What do the Trumps do for Christmas dinner? They put on a super spread

10. Which Christmas film was 30 years ahead of its time? Home Alone

11. How do you play Dominic Cummings Monopoly? Ignore the rules, move anywhere on the board you like, and never Go To Jail

12. Why won't Santa lose any presents this year? He's downloaded Sack and Trace

13. How is the pandemic like my stomach after Christmas? It'll take ages to flatten the curve

14. How is Prince Andrew coping with the stresses of Christmas this year? Fine. No sweat

15. Why wasn't Rudolph allowed to take part in vaccine trials? Because they only wanted guinea pigs

16. Which government scheme supports Christmas dinner? Eat Sprout To Help Out

17. How can you get out of talking to your boss at this year's staff Christmas party? Put him on mute

18. How does Santa keep track of all the fireplaces he's visited? He keeps a logbook

19. Who dresses in red and gives to the children this Christmas? Marcus Rashford

20. Why did Mary and Joseph have to travel to Bethlehem? Because they couldn't book a home delivery

???

BlueSky Fri 18-Dec-20 13:18:37

Ailidh tchgrin
Merlot you can’t please all of the people all of the time...tchhmm

grandtanteJE65 Fri 18-Dec-20 13:21:16

Not offended at all.

If we can't joke about our troubles, it will only be harder to get through them.

JenniferEccles Fri 18-Dec-20 13:33:16

The Littlejohn missive was ok but not one of his best I thought.

I prefer his take on day to day news items, his ‘you couldn’t make it up’ kind of thing.

He can be serious and scathing too, particularly about the way we are being treated by the EU.

Riverwalk Fri 18-Dec-20 14:02:17

He can be serious and scathing too, particularly about the way we are being treated by the EU.

What would he know, he lives in Florida!

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Dec-20 14:08:42

Riverwalk does he indeed??
The absolute cheek of the man!

(Merlotgran this has turned out better than I expected, I like some of the cartoons, so apologies - not that I've got anything to apologise for - oh, you know what I mean! flowers)

Parsley3 Fri 18-Dec-20 14:19:22

The YouTube videos, jokes and cartoons are funny and clever. The article was ok but missed the mark for real humour. I like a bit of black humour.

JenniferEccles Fri 18-Dec-20 15:32:06

I believe he splits his time between Florida and London.

merlotgran Fri 18-Dec-20 16:01:10

Thanks for the list, Ailidh. One of our DGDs has a 'build your own crackers' game lined up for a Zoom session on Christmas Day. I'm going to nick a few of the jokes for mine. tchgrin

Toadinthehole Fri 18-Dec-20 16:41:39

So sorry...but I don’t think there is anything covid related that can make me chuckle now. However....in the very early days, before I realised how serious it is, I did laugh over a YouTube clip of Tom and Jerry. A real cat sneezes, and then the cartoon starts. Tom rushes into the bathroom to ‘ sanitise’ himself. It’s far too raw now though.

merlotgran Fri 18-Dec-20 16:44:15

Strange that people are prepared to accept that humour saved a lot of sanity in both our World Wars. hmm

lemsip Fri 18-Dec-20 17:08:21

oh, I thought the op was going to be about Bethlehem in Carmarthenshire, Wales! It was on The One Show last night and showed the children of the village doing a Nativity Play a much nicer theme than the op.