Gransnet forums

Chat

Unexpected Christmas Day for 2 - what to do?

(153 Posts)
vegansrock Sun 20-Dec-20 18:00:37

I know I’m not alone, but my Christmas Day is usually 12-16 family members , people staying over, Boxing Day walks and buffets etc. etc. We knew we would have a low key Christmas this year with just AC plus partner who have been isolating for 2 weeks plus a single in law who doesn’t really want to come, but doesn’t like to be excluded.Now we are in tier 4 it’s going to be Christmas with just the OH for the first time ever. I know it’s just a day and we have each other, plus we have zoom and face time with others so we are lucky and we’ll be fine but shall we - dress up? Have buck’s fizz for breakfast? go out for a walk? bother to cook a roast or just have something else? Or just slob out with a bottle of wine and Netflix? What are others doing? It all a bit last minute thanks Johnson and co.

merlotgran Fri 25-Dec-20 19:26:48

After fifty two years of marriage and countless Christmas Dinners under my belt I now realise it's just as much work to cook for two as it is for twelve.tchhmm

#knackered

M0nica Fri 25-Dec-20 18:27:40

No point sitting at home bewailing what can't be helped!

poshpaws I admire your resilience and determination in the face of the loss you have had this year.

The quote above summarises how I feel as well.

My DH is still with me, albeit, he is spending Christmas in hospital, and will be there for some weeks more, so Christmas will be me and DD, We cannot now see DS and family (except on Zoom) but we have decided to carry on regardless. The decorations are all up, we photographed ourselves witht the 6 kilo turkey, ordered in October, when we were expecting to have DS and family with us.

We have celebrated today, as we always do, and continue to do so.

Meer13511 Thu 24-Dec-20 17:13:51

Dear Babs758
What are itsu dumplings.
Happy Christmas

Meer13511 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:42:36

Can you phone anyone?

Meer13511 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:40:56

Thanks Trisher for the WEA link

glammanana Tue 22-Dec-20 11:47:19

Last Christmas was a non event in this household after loosing my beloved OH unexpectedly early December so this year I will have a scaled down Christmas at my DDs we are in tier 2 and she is part of my bubble,I will have a quick lunch with her and get home to spend the rest of the day on my own the first time in 46 yrs I am not looking forward it on little bit.

MagicWand Tue 22-Dec-20 10:56:23

Well said "Marnie". 'Each to their own' is it exactly and there's plenty of variety shown here.

There also seem to be some fine examples of judgemental sniping on this thread too. A shame when it could have been so upbeat and positive.

I'll join in with "arose"'s last sentiment though if I may and (paraphrasing Greg Lake) wish you a hopeful New Year as well.

arosebyanyothername Tue 22-Dec-20 10:12:20

I usually have a couple of busy days trying to prepare ahead. Making up beds, prepping veg etc. Then up about 7 on Christmas Day to get cracking.
This year just the 2 of us so have had none of the usual rush. We’ll have a lazy day and a very un-Christmassy dinner when ever we feel like it. Zooming with family at some point.
Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas however you celebrate it xx

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 22-Dec-20 09:30:40

You make the day as special as you wish or not at all. Why not make an effort instead of getting into a depressive slump? I'll dress up for an afternoon visit to my sister/BIL but I'm not sure how long I'll stay - it'll be four or five of us instead of the usual 13.
If eldest nephew and family (wife, 2 children) pop round that'll break the rules so I'll bugger off back home. It's all a bit up in the air.

Jacks10 Tue 22-Dec-20 08:09:13

Enjoy it together. Make it a proper Christmas Day with the festive meal as usual. Sit and savour it and each others company! At least you will not be running around like headless chickens trying to ensure everybody has a good time, often forgetting about yourselves! Happy Christmas!

Junesun Tue 22-Dec-20 06:22:57

Just me and newish partner too. We will be dressing up ,having a small turkey and all the trimmings. I've bought fun games e.g 'Mr &Mrs' ( remember that tv show?) Also going to make pina coladas. Will pop out for a walk too at some stage. We have been working all through the year in a dialysis centre and have all xmas off from tomorrow so a wonderful break ?

Mamie Tue 22-Dec-20 04:27:31

Total cost about 30€ Ellie666 and the first three are from Lidl ?. We live in France where food is the important bit and are not bothering with presents this year. Each to their own, don't you think?

Ellie666 Tue 22-Dec-20 00:04:40

Good God some one is living the high-life. Never heard of any one having what you are having even when it is not Christmas day. [ caviar, smoked salmon, petits fours for lunch. Dinner this year is guinea fowl followed by tiramasu. ]. Must be nice to afford all that at Christmas on a pension.

poshpaws Mon 21-Dec-20 23:40:33

I'll be on my own for Christmas for the first time ever, having lost my beloved husband to Covid-19 in May, and my son & d-i-l not being allowed to come up to the cottage they'd booked. So I've last minute booked myself Christmas Day lunch at a lovely hotel my husband & I used to often go to, and shall do all my animal chores as usual in the morning, then dress up in my new hedgehog dress and new jewellery for the lunch, before returning home, changing into my "slob out" clothes and opening my Christmas presents. After which, a g&t and watch one of my unseen as yet DVD's with my dogs cuddling me. No point sitting at home bewailing what can't be helped!

moggie57 Mon 21-Dec-20 22:10:37

Praying for your elderly mum .give get strength and healing.

moggie57 Mon 21-Dec-20 22:09:42

You lucky you got someone else with youyou.dk what you like have lunch go for a walk .stuff yourself silly.I on my own all day every day 24/7

Juneandarchie1 Mon 21-Dec-20 22:04:33

I’d already resigned myself to the fact Christmas would not be happening, so just me and fiancé at the dinner table this year. Everything on hold as my mum and sister both have covid, all I wish for is their good health, but my mum is 93 years old and it’s not looking good at the moment.
Peace and good health to all whatever you choose to do. ??

MawBe Mon 21-Dec-20 21:54:01

Absolutely Ginny and we can both fall asleep in front of the tv without recriminations from either side!

Lucca Mon 21-Dec-20 21:51:52

One post from OPsaying she knows she is lucky to have OH followed immediately by a post saying she should think herself lucky to have OH.............

ginny Mon 21-Dec-20 20:53:41

Maybe Hattie will be better company than some people. She won’t argue about food or tv or worry and fret about who is there or not. Not who said what to who. She will just give unconditional love and companionship.

MawBe Mon 21-Dec-20 20:47:12

I’m consulting Hattie as to what she thinks we should do, but I’m not sure about a giant tin of Chappie
My immediate reaction on reading the thread title however was to think that if there were unexpectedly 2 of us, I would be delighted to have the company.

M0nica Mon 21-Dec-20 20:42:27

GrannyRose15 This is exactly what I and DD intend to do. In fact as I read your post DD was suggesting decanting a bottle of really good wine into an antique carafe, whose purpose until now has been ornamental so that we could enjoy a glass of wine with a meal but, as very light drinkers, drink the wine over several days and, in the meanwhile the carafe can grace the teble for two, which will have the best china and cutlery on it.

Happysexagenarian Mon 21-Dec-20 19:41:56

Just the two of us this year for the first time ever. We'll have a light breakfast, open presents and call the AC and GC. Then cook a turkey crown with all the usual trimmings but on a smaller scale. If it's a dry day we'll take the dog for a walk then relax in front of the TV with a glass of wine, mince pies and nibbles. I'm quite looking forward to it actually. No worrying about getting rooms ready for guests, the food being perfect, or keeping the kids occupied and the noise levels down!

GrannyRose15 Mon 21-Dec-20 19:21:14

Make it a very special day. Dress up. Drink wine. Cook the turkey. Decorate the house and the table. Listen to Christmas music all day. Pretend nothing has changed.

billericaylady Mon 21-Dec-20 18:59:44

Hello there,
My partner and I will go for a walk,great dressed up and have an early drink..we will do zoom while eating Dinnner with his Son and Partner as we were originally going there.No doubt watch a couple of films....I've turned it into a positive...
My real concern is that My Daughter is having My First Grandchild In Feb and I know I will find it difficult however I will be upbeat as that's the way I cope smile