Gransnet forums

Chat

are we running out of things to discuss........

(189 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 22-Dec-20 09:43:44

Someone asked is this 'what we are reduced too' referring to another person's post. I guess we are running out of things to discuss as none of us are going anywhere, all our social activities are no longer available so can't discuss the pros and cons of those, and we are relying on the news, family issues and the more mundane areas of life to put up posts. What do you think?? this is not a critisim just an observation. smile

lemongrove Thu 02-Dec-21 21:21:02

Yes, and a year old thread, although it was a fun one.?

lemongrove Thu 02-Dec-21 21:20:07

Yes, and a year old thread, although it was a fun one.?

Wheniwasyourage Thu 02-Dec-21 18:28:49

Reported

sohfialee Thu 02-Dec-21 18:17:37

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Elegran Thu 24-Dec-20 11:42:54

I've been wondering whether I have any old jumpers I can cut the sleeves out of to turn into gloves. They won't be cashmere, though.

Jules48 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:37:10

I bought some of those fingerless gloves from Turtledoves, Elegran. I think they’re quite pricey, considering they’re recycled. Also, I have average sized hands and they’re a bit narrow. Cosy though!

LauraNorder Thu 24-Dec-20 11:33:33

Patchwork jeans not quite the same as the make do and mend of my youth.

LauraNorder Thu 24-Dec-20 11:32:04

I wasn’t aware of Sindy but wasn’t really a doll sort of girl once I got to be seven or eight but did love my dolls house and played with that with my sister until I was in my teens. Was mortified to be caught by a friend once. All my granddaughters have been through the Barbie stage.
Butterscotch Instant Whip sounds quite nice

Elegran Thu 24-Dec-20 11:31:38

They are called Turtledoves. Their fingerless gloves look as though they are made from sleeves - £26 a pair. www.turtle-doves.co.uk/collections/cashmere-fingerless-gloves

Elegran Thu 24-Dec-20 11:27:54

"jeans that look like they've been recycled from older jeans." They probably were. A very successful firm posts a lot on Facebook about their cashmere hats, gloves, pashminas etc, all made from the old cashmere clothes that are sent to them. The difference is that those look very nice.

SueDonim Thu 24-Dec-20 11:14:48

I saw someone wearing patchwork jeans the other day. They were hideous! But I’m sure she thought she looked lovely, so as long as she was happy, it hardy matters what I think. grin

I didn’t have a Barbie or a Cindy. I was a bit too old, I think (am 66).

Instant Whip. I want a butterscotch one now.

Puzzler61 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:41:23

I did. Gulp!

Spangler Thu 24-Dec-20 10:34:39

Puzzler61 My God-daughter sent me a text with a link that I can't open. denimology.com/2020/12/jennifer-lopez-in-tom-ford-patchwork-jeans It's supposed to show you Jennifer Lopez wearing those mega expensive jeans. Did you click on Tom Ford's website? Those jeans look like something cobbled together out of bits of cast off jeans.

Callistemon Thu 24-Dec-20 10:30:20

Not PC nowadays I suppose.

Talking of PC, I can remember when I was very young having a black dolly and a white dolly for Christmas; my Mum had knitted them both outfits. That must have been nearly 70 years ago. I called them my twins.

Callistemon Thu 24-Dec-20 10:27:12

Ellianne

Keep up Callie.
SueD explained, Instant Whip gave way to Angel Deight, like Sindy to booby Barbie.

?

I'm a bit slow today and trying to put off doing those things which need to be done

If only I could make an Instant Whip instead of a trifle. So much simpler

Puzzler61 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:26:33

When we got married 42 years ago a miniature bride doll on a ribbon was given to me by my bridesmaid as a good luck symbol, like the horseshoes or black cats on ribbons.

Calendargirl Thu 24-Dec-20 10:23:59

I was too old for Sindy or Barbie.

Just had plain dolls, hair you couldn’t wash or anything.

My sister got a Bride doll one Christmas, we thought she was beautiful.

No wonder little girls back then dreamed of a white wedding.

Not PC nowadays I suppose.

Puzzler61 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:21:37

Spangler that’s almost criminal - how much !!
Is there a real Tom Ford? He must be mega rich?

Puzzler61 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:20:28

Just chit-chatting Callistemon , like we do ?
She had a boyfriend (doll) called Paul didn’t she? And he had a flashy red sports car .......

Ellianne Thu 24-Dec-20 10:19:54

Keep up Callie.
SueD explained, Instant Whip gave way to Angel Deight, like Sindy to booby Barbie.

Callistemon Thu 24-Dec-20 10:16:18

How did we get on to Sindy (I missed something)

There is one on top of the Christmas tree, she's very old so is a normal shape before she started dieting to look like Barbie. There are others upstairs, they are the more glamorous ones although their hair has about 6 bobbles in each tchgrin

Spangler Thu 24-Dec-20 10:16:15

What will Santa have in his sack for you to open tomorrow? How about a nice pair of new jeans? You could always plagiarise a Tom Ford designer label and boast they cost £2550. Two and a half grand for jeans that look like they've been recycled from older jeans.
www.24s.com/en-gb/patchwork-vintage-jean-tom-ford_TFDW3S7ZBLUWN03000

Puzzler61 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:15:25

Hmm dunno Ellianne. She had the “girl next door” look, with blonde hair or dark I seem to remember.
Whereas Barbie was condemned by some as being sexy with her large boobs, tiny waist and hair that “grew”.
I had a Sindy - did you?

Ellianne Thu 24-Dec-20 10:06:29

I've just looked at pictures online. Why did some Sindys have long silky hair and some have a short back combed bob?

Callistemon Thu 24-Dec-20 10:01:32

I've never bought Royal Icing Sugar, only came across it a couple of years ago. Is there a lot of difference? I make royal icing with plain icing sugar, have done for years, and it always seems to turn out OK. Can someone tell me what's better about the proper stuff please!

Bathsheba I think the Royal Icing sugar contains pasteurised egg white but, with ordinary icing sugar you have to add raw egg whites.
I can still see Edwina Curry spouting off about eggs.

It may just be a plain cake this year!