Gransnet forums

Chat

Best Comedians

(58 Posts)
hollysteers Tue 22-Dec-20 10:37:08

Following on best films, who are your favourite comedians?

kittylester Tue 22-Dec-20 17:15:07

James Acaster
Lee Mack
Michael McIntyre
Rob Brydon

JackyB Tue 22-Dec-20 16:57:47

Michael MacIntyre is the only one who has me wetting myself with laughter.

But I do love lots of the new young names, and I am a huge fan of Ed Byrne - especially since he inadvertently went all geeky once on Mock the Week. Somehow that endeared me to him all the more.

Beauregard Tue 22-Dec-20 14:45:53

Ross Noble - the only one I've seen live.

Plus many of the ones already mentioned.

TerriBull Tue 22-Dec-20 14:37:06

Latest discoveries would be siblings Charlie and Daisy May Cooper, just loved "This Country"
Sasha Baron-Cohen (yep I know he can make the viewer cringe, but when he's funny......he's really funny)
Ditto Ricky Gervais I loved him at the Golden Globes and like the fact he doesn't give a toss when he mocks all that holier than thou smuggery that is so prevalent in showbiz right now.
Noel Fielding in "Mighty Boosh"
Little Britain - Matt Lucas and David Walliams, Matt Lucas is a wonderful character actor he was a sublime Mr Toad in Wind in the Willows
Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan in their series where they travelled around Italy and Spain, a gastro/travelogue laced with lots of humour both trying to outdo each other impression wise, their "Mick Jaggers" were really funny grin
Bob Mortimer/Vic Reeves
Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse
Billy Connelly but I like him most when he is being serious and reflective
Razor sharp wits - Lee Mack, Paul Merton, David Mitchell
Peter Kay at times
Jack Whitehall, he reminds me of one of my sons, so I have a soft spot for him
Dawn and Jennifer - sometimes very good.
Catherine Tate
Julie Walters
Three very funny women. sadly no longer with us Victoria Wood, Caroline Ahern, Joan Rivers
Robin Williams - also sadly missed.

I've probably missed a few. Humour of course is subjective and started for me with Monty Python, I was never into any of the old school highly revered people such as Morcombe and Wise, Tommy Cooper all The Dad's Army stuff never did it for me it was of it's time and whenever I see old clips, I just don't find any of it funny at all, probably the only one from that generation who was an exception, imo, would have been Kenneth Williams he was extremely witty. My parents weren't fans of those type of comedians they preferred Peter Ustinov and David Frost type satire which went over my head at the time.

Maggiemaybe Tue 22-Dec-20 13:32:27

Yes, the one and only Victoria Wood.
Peter Kay.
John Bishop.

GillT57 Tue 22-Dec-20 13:21:06

Nearly everyone has listed the late great Victoria Wood. I think she was much overlooked as a brilliant comedic writer, the script of Dinner Ladies is brilliant. Poignant as well as funny, and extremely well observed characters.

Victoria Wood
Billy Connoly
Kevin Bridges
Micky Flanagan

Bridie22 Tue 22-Dec-20 13:20:31

Billy Connolly
Victoria Wood.

Kate1949 Tue 22-Dec-20 12:53:59

Billy Connolly
Peter Kay
Victoria Wood
Ken Dodd
I can't recall ever laughing at any of the 'modern' ones.

Jaxjacky Tue 22-Dec-20 12:48:37

Billy Connelly, Lee Mack, Michael McIntyre when he did stand up, since he’s had the TV show I’ve gone off him. Dave Allen years ago, Sarah Milligan, Frankie Boyle.

trisher Tue 22-Dec-20 12:05:37

Eddie Izzard- his live show was so surreal
Victoria Wood
Bob Mortimer-another great story teller
Miranda Hart
Billy Connolly
Jonathan Pie -amazing skit!
Just started loving Daisy May Cooper

EllanVannin Tue 22-Dec-20 12:01:42

I was watching The Two Ronnies last night, or was it the night before ? and realised how clever they were in their musical sketches. The brass band one where they made their own words up as they joined the band along with the tune.
I think I laughed at these two more than anyone.
Then there was Open All Hours.

However, Benny Hill, Dave Allen and his sketches, Dick Emery, Les Dawson, Victoria Wood, Ken Dodd, Tommy Cooper, Mickey Flanagan, Peter Kay, Lee Mack, many others I suspect.

A joke from Victoria Wood----" My boyfriend had a sex manual but he was dyslexic. I was lying there and he was looking for my vinegar. " gringringrin

crazyH Tue 22-Dec-20 11:54:23

Steven Mulhern makes me laugh ....he’s a presenter....his off the cuff jokes, and his interactions are really funny. He’s a cheeky happy

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 22-Dec-20 11:52:28

Loved the programme Rhod Gilbert did with Rob Bryden
Ronnie barket and Ronnie Corbet

Blossoming Tue 22-Dec-20 11:52:06

Janey Godley, her daily vids on YouTube are so good.
Jonathan Pie.
Michael Spicer.

Grandmabatty Tue 22-Dec-20 11:51:06

From the past, morecambe and wise, Victoria Wood, French and Saunders, Dave Allen. I'm not that fussed about modern comedians.

Nanof3 Tue 22-Dec-20 11:49:24

Ken Dodd
Ronnie Barker
Victoria Wood

Puzzler61 Tue 22-Dec-20 11:48:56

Peter Kay, Billy Connolly, Victoria Wood, Micky Flanagan, and I love Bob Mortimer’s funny stories when he’s on Would I Lie To You.

Jane10 Tue 22-Dec-20 11:48:27

Almost too many favourites to mention. Victoria Wood of course
I once laughed so much at Michael McIntyre that I could hardly breathe and I was crying so much my glasses filled up with tears. DH came rushing through to see what was wrong with me!
Bob Mortimer is an absolute star on WILTY.

Dee1012 Tue 22-Dec-20 11:46:23

Billy Connolly.
Kevin Bridges.
Peter Kay.

25Avalon Tue 22-Dec-20 11:44:34

Ayres

GardenerGran Tue 22-Dec-20 11:44:24

Victoria Wood and Peter Kay.

25Avalon Tue 22-Dec-20 11:44:12

Does Pam Ayers count?

Septimia Tue 22-Dec-20 11:40:05

Lots of good candidates. However....

Victoria Wood is one for sure. I wasn't keen on her until I saw her do a standup about 'women's troubles'. I nearly wet myself laughing!

JessK Tue 22-Dec-20 11:30:56

Just remembered another - the much missed Dave Allen

Missfoodlove Tue 22-Dec-20 11:30:18

Peter Kay.