Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anything positive happened to you today? Would you like to share?

(234 Posts)
Marydoll Tue 22-Dec-20 11:27:16

Reading throught the threads this morning made me wonder if I should start a chatty thread, one that hopefully everyone could join in if they wished to do so.

As the Good Morningers know, after a lot of hassle with a blocked credit card, ( not me fault!), I bought a Santa lantern from Dobbies in their sale to replace one that I had, which had died.
When Santa arrived, he was leaning drunkenly against the glass, having had too much sherry on his rounds. There was no way I could fix it, as the unit was sealed.
I phoned Dobbies' customer service and got a very helpful young man, who mistakenly thought my name was Lady Marydoll I could visualise him bowing! I was going to wait to tell you all later that I have been given a seat in the House of Lords in the New Year's Honours list tchwink

We had a good laugh, when I tried to spell my email address using the phonetic alphabet, because I was hoarse and he was having difficulty with my Glasgow accent.

Anyway, I got a full refund without any hassle and the added bonus, I get to keep Santa!! tchgrin

That simple exchange has really cheered me up. It may have started out with a simple request for a refund I didn't need to even ask in the end, but it became a social interaction with someone other than my DH.
I love him dearly, but oh I do need some other company! I'm now waiting to waylay the postman for a chat!

DanniRae Wed 06-Jan-21 08:42:07

nanny2507 - I hope you get to hear that you are getting a video interview and that you are offered the job! smile

ginny Wed 06-Jan-21 09:37:38

We were out yesterday when our lovely Post lady tried to deliver a parcel. She saw us walking home , turned around and bought it back. ?

Kim19 Thu 07-Jan-21 08:36:07

Auntieflo, terrific perseverance with your cactus. Result well deserved! I had heartwarming news that my very good friends are a degree on the mend from what sounds like Covid. Tests are happening at last. Sources were their daughters. One in Tenerife, one in Canada. Wonderful instant internet.

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 09:29:45

Friend sent me this . I hope the link works. A delightful encounter
www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2021/01/15/laquila-lincontro-tra-il-cervo-e-il-gatto-tra-le-strade-innevate-lascia-a-bocca-aperta-video/6066514/

nanna8 Sat 16-Jan-21 09:47:29

I know it is a bit pathetic but for years now I have been growing an avocado tree from a stone. It was potbound so I transplanted it to a much bigger pot about 10 days ago and thought it might die. Today I looked and it had put out a new shoot. We can’t usually grow them here, it is a bit too cold, so come Winter I shall put something round it to keep it warm!

Froglady Sat 16-Jan-21 09:51:36

My nice postman has taken a couple of letters that I've written to put into the post for me, to save me having to go out to post them as it's a bit cold for me in my wheelchair this morning. All of our postmen round me are very kind and obliging like this.

Witzend Sat 16-Jan-21 09:58:08

My nice new big sauté pan with a lid has arrived from John Lewis. Had to chuck the old one because the non stick coating was peeling off.

Sarahmob Sat 16-Jan-21 13:38:01

I’ve heard that my new grandchild is going to be a boy (number 2). A girl would have been nice but as long as baby is healthy that’s all that really matters.

SpringyChicken Sat 16-Jan-21 14:17:28

We hung two pictures (side by side) today and
1) they are level with each other
2) we drilled only one hole in the wrong place
3) the hole in the wrong place doesn’t show. Yeay, result!

SpringyChicken Sat 16-Jan-21 14:21:05

Ooh, Witzend, is it a Neverstick Easiglide pan? I’m waiting for a milk pan from John Lewis of that brand and have high hopes.

seacliff Sun 17-Jan-21 09:53:32

Just looked out the window and what a contrast to yesterday. Pale blue sky and sunshine, maybe just being hopeful but it feels like almost spring.

henetha Sun 17-Jan-21 11:31:42

I found out this morning that I have won £15 on our little local lottery here. Every little helps!
Also, I've washed all my bedding and hung it out, hopefully it might dry.

GagaJo Sun 17-Jan-21 11:39:47

I had a lovely brunch and then returned to my room to have a leisurely shower, look and talk to my 3 amaryllis plants (2 quid, last of the bunch in Aldi) and relax, before doing a couple of catch up lessons with some lovely students. Oh, and watching the snow gently falling on the garden and the river outside my window.

pensionpat Sun 17-Jan-21 12:06:56

My husband had his COVID vaccination on Friday, earlier than we had hoped. At 4.45 on the same day I received a phone call asking me if I wanted to pop over for mine since they had some left over. I didn’t need asking twice!

Marmight Sun 17-Jan-21 12:24:45

Yesterday I won a £10 Amazon voucher from the local newspaper for a photo I’d entered into a competition & today a friend I hadn’t seen since hefore Christmas looked in, at a distance, while doggy walking and gave me 4 mince pies! And now I have the 2 GS for a couple of hours while DD/SiL go for a muddy run round the lakes. So, a good weekend all round. Tomorrow’s another day ?

DanniRae Sun 17-Jan-21 14:52:32

Mr R had his first covid vaccination on Thursday - he is 76. I am 72 and felt I had some time to wait for mine but I got a text on Friday offering me one and I had it today! Hoorah.......and it was a totally ok experience smile

olddudders Sun 17-Jan-21 19:00:31

Good evening. I thought I ought to say that something positive happened to me today - I joined Gransnet! I am a mere male, 72, and adore women. But, before your eyes go to the ceiling that 'it's another one of those', I must quickly point out that my lawful wedded wife is also a member here, so no-one is at risk of being groomed. I am not going to out her identity, so she can pretend I am nothing to do with her!

Ashcombe Sun 17-Jan-21 19:14:34

Welcome, olddudders! Hope you enjoy being part of this forum. ?

olddudders Sun 17-Jan-21 19:19:48

Thankyou, Ashcombe, that is most courteous.

Kim19 Sun 17-Jan-21 19:29:14

Oh yes....... My best friend has just phoned me after being very ill for a long few weeks now. She only managed a very short chat but I'm relieved, delighted and somewhat overwhelmed. Yippee!

SuzannahM Sun 17-Jan-21 19:30:42

For the first time in a month our area is seeing a reduction in reported COVID cases (but not deaths, sadly. Hopefully that will come very soon now.)
I don't normally bother with slight changes but these have been reported for nearly a week and it's now quite a substantial change, -22%. We've actually gone from purple to blue. With the vaccinations underway finally I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. That's worth a quick dance round the sofa to me.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Jan-21 19:31:53

I went to DS and DIL for tea today (I'm in their bubble) because it's DIL's birthday. It was just lovely to have a meal that I hadn't cooked!

Grannynannywanny Sun 17-Jan-21 19:50:54

This evening my 2 little grandchildren 140 miles away snuggled up together in bed with the iPad and we had a lovely FaceTime call. I read them their favourite bedtime story books they enjoy when they spend a weekend with me.

Froglady Tue 19-Jan-21 11:21:26

I have hopefully sent all the documents that the council need to renew my blue badge and bus pass! I've scanned stuff today for the first time ever, with a lot of help from the tenancy support worker , I just hope it's gone all right; the only problem I can see us the quality of the photograph. But I'm pleased that everything has gone as I was worried about not having a current blue badge , and it is now in the lap of the gods ( council staff).

Froglady Fri 22-Jan-21 09:55:35

Froglady

I have hopefully sent all the documents that the council need to renew my blue badge and bus pass! I've scanned stuff today for the first time ever, with a lot of help from the tenancy support worker , I just hope it's gone all right; the only problem I can see us the quality of the photograph. But I'm pleased that everything has gone as I was worried about not having a current blue badge , and it is now in the lap of the gods ( council staff).

Just quoted my own piece as I have been told that everything has gone according to plan and I'm now waiting to receive my blue badge and my bus pass in the post.