Gransnet forums

Chat

Maybe I should start holding my breath!

(87 Posts)
Lexisgranny Tue 22-Dec-20 12:53:21

In the early hours, a few weeks back, I booked our Christmas supermarket delivery for tomorrow at the only time available - 6pm. Now I wonder whether I should not have felt so smug. Will there be any fresh goods left as a result of customers shopping during the day (something I should have thought about at the time!) but now there is panic buying resulting from the threat of shortages (something I hadn’t anticipated).

Well, I look forward to tomorrow with anticipation, the world will not come to an end if the complete order is not fulfilled, and I am looking forward with great anticipation to possible substitutions. I must have been very fortunate, in that respect so far this year. What unusual substituted items have you found in your order?

blondenana Wed 23-Dec-20 12:21:57

During the first lockdown, i had bleach on my internet order to Iceland,
It seems they had no bleach and substituted a bottle of milk

leeds22 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:34:03

Christmas bubble friend got all the veg we need on her Tesco delivery yesterday. I will be getting the normal delivery today with hopefully just the veg we need for the rest of the week.
I would quite like to have beans on toast for Christmas, maybe with an egg on top.

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Dec-20 12:49:29

I would quite like to have beans on toast for Christmas, maybe with an egg on top.

That’s the sort of thing I always crave after a couple of days of Christmas, Leeds22. That or a curry. But I always end up with loads of rich food to use up. I never learn.

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Dec-20 12:53:25

Missfoodlove

Does nobody buy their fruit and veg at a market anymore?

We do. But it’s only a small market and only open two days a week. They’d sold out of a few things before we got there today. Nothing we can’t manage without.

lilydily9 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:57:51

My Sainsbury's delivery has everything except a chocolate log. No surprise there, happens every year, nothing to do with any shortages. Wish they would stock more, it's obviously a popular item! Tried ordering earlier in the past but then the use by date is always way before Christmas Day! Sometimes you just can't win.

TrixieB Wed 23-Dec-20 13:31:44

My local Tesco store (in Devon) wasn’t that busy yesterday and had no queues for entry or checkouts. There were some empty shelves for tomatoes, many salads and “soft” fruits like bananas etc. Plentiful supplies of everything else.

Talking to a friend on the phone (we’re both in our early 70s) we reminisced about our 1950s Christmas celebrations when it was unheard of to have strawberries, melons, and the like in winter. Big treat was having tinned fruit (and evaporated milk)! All the saved apples and pears from our trees were brought down from the loft, each wrapped in newspaper (boring).

We used to have a capon (ouch), boiled gammon and a leg of roast pork with root veg, sprouts, stuffing, and plenty of gravy.

Onwardsandupwards Wed 23-Dec-20 13:39:09

Like someone said, maybe it depends on where you live.. I live in Hertfordshire and the only ‘stripped bare’ shelves have been on the news on tv! The cynic in me wonders whether the shops are doing this to make us panic and buy more? Years ago I worked for Waitrose, the amount of fresh fruit and vegetables thrown out into skips on Christmas Eve is a sight I’ll never forget... Whole cases of the stuff! I bought my vegetables in my local supermarket today, every single shelf was full to the limit..

sunrise768 Wed 23-Dec-20 13:43:16

Both myself and hubby having to work all day Christmas Eve, so hopefully my delivery later today will have most of what I need...and a fruit and veg box ordered from a local delivery guy to be delivered tomorrow......could be interesting.
Buy British!!

Cabbie21 Wed 23-Dec-20 13:47:51

My veg box has just been delivered. All British grown, most very local.

FranT Wed 23-Dec-20 14:02:18

I ordered what I assumed was 1 pack of tomatoes on the vine, but I was kindly sent one solitary tomato, with not even a vine attached, don't think it will go around a salad for 6 do you? It did make me chuckle though, that is, until I didn't receive my Litre bottle of dark rum, after purchasing a case of 24 cans of coke! Merry Xmas all.

Mini2020 Wed 23-Dec-20 14:25:38

I received my order last night and there wasn’t anything missing or substituted. I’m sure it will be ok.

Kate1949 Wed 23-Dec-20 14:28:54

As I mentioned on another thread, our Tesco order arrived this morning with nothing missing or substituted. Plenty of fruit, veg and salad.

Rosina Wed 23-Dec-20 15:06:11

My order came today and everything was fine - except that two items they didn't have in the small size they have substituted with large, at the same price. No complaints here. I'm so grateful to the supermarket staff as we have been really well looked after with slots and deliveries.

Redrobin51 Wed 23-Dec-20 15:12:20

Our click and collect from Tesco had everything I ordered, it was my fault the sprouts were missing. They even gave us a wonderful free box of mince pies as a thank you from Tesco. They have been marvellous during the pandemic and feel they have done their best with substitutions. I feel so blessed that as we both have poor health that we didn't have to go around the shop. Happy Christmas everyone. X

Lexisgranny Wed 23-Dec-20 15:39:23

We used to buy fruit and veg in local markets, but sheltering since last March has curtailed that. Just received our amended order email, to arrive early evening, and the 4 amendments are all acceptable. Very interested to read all your comments which probably give a UK wide picture of how things stand. Thank you all for replying.

Kate1949 Wed 23-Dec-20 15:58:13

I agree that Tesco's have been great.

win Wed 23-Dec-20 16:18:01

I had my Christmas delivery Sunday at 9.15 pm. Had noticed my pre-ordered Christmas goods to arrive with the same delivery had been removed from my basket, when querying this before delivery I was told it was normal practice and would definitely be there, guess what not a thing only my usual grocery delivery I am livid to say the least. Fortunately I have managed to get most of it in store, but some items are no longer available due to high demand. I have dealt with 7 different people and had 7 different answers to how this happened. Only one grovelling and said as she could not put it right she would send me a vouchers as an apology. she sent me £ 5, that will really make up for all the emails, phone calls and aggrevation I have had since Saturday.

Greciangirl Wed 23-Dec-20 16:25:05

I’m sure none of us will starve.

Reports of panic buying make us feel panicky and our thought processes go into overdrive.

Callistemon Wed 23-Dec-20 16:31:21

Maggiemaybe

Fingers crossed for you, Lexisgranny. smile I remember my lot mocking me mercilessly for being a Margot Leadbetter when I told them my chanterelle carrots had been replaced by wonky ones (I wasn’t really upset, honest!).

Unusual substitutions? Sainsburys sent me two rolls of greaseproof paper last week instead of two Christmas cards. And DD1 once got hair remover instead of hair dye. grin

Thank you for the giggle, Maggiemaybe tchgrin

Neither Tesco nor Waitrose sent substitutions for the wine I ordered - might have to ration DH.

As we couldn't get a slot at all this week we went to the farm shop today for milk etc.
They had sprouts on the stalk, lovely and fresh.

NfkDumpling Wed 23-Dec-20 16:34:02

Our Tesco order came yesterday. I'd ordered a 660 g 'tin' of Heroes as I really wanted the box too for a cake tin. Not available. Substitute = six normal 185 g boxes of Heroes! And money back. Can't be bad.

Panda25 Wed 23-Dec-20 16:35:43

We ordered a side dish of peas and beans in our Morrison's shopping. Our substitute was chicken, mushroom and pancetta in a white wine sauce to feed two. We're vegetarians!!

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Dec-20 16:40:11

Everything delivered bar mince pies, husband nipped down village and got some. Got my imperial and metric mixed up on the parsnips!

aonk Wed 23-Dec-20 17:49:01

During the first lockdown I asked for antibacterial wipes which were substituted with antiseptic cream!

jerseygirl Wed 23-Dec-20 18:42:10

I went to sainsbury's today and had no problems. Plenty of fresh veg, sprouts, carrots, cauli, cabbage etc. Lots of fresh turkeys too, all sizes. Managed to get around with no problems and went through the checkout quickly. Shelves were well stocked with other items too.

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Dec-20 18:53:10

Lexisgranny thanks for update, all good Merry Christmas.