Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(80 Posts)
12Michael Wed 23-Dec-20 06:16:36

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another dark and wet start here in brackley this morning .
Yesterday , the experience of coming back on a bus back from Bicester with people sat close together was frightening .
Bicester , was bad enough itself , family's out , with young kids out of control with the virus slowly creeping upwards as to infections , its not surprising, how many people ignore warnings .
Even in the cafe , which I hope to revisit in new year again, are doubting things as to moving into Tier 4.
I did have a bad spell coming back , but rested shut the door and a couple of paracetamols I was OK .
Weight loss is a problem as well.
Take Care ,
Mick

Daddima Wed 23-Dec-20 14:50:32

Good day all! Well, Mick looks like you’re obeying the orders from ‘ Mick’s Angels’ to enjoy some quiet time until you see your doc in the new year.
Viridian the Bodach wanted to buy a couple of axolotls a few years ago, but I found them a wee bit creepy!
I’m having a lazy day today ( no change there then), and I’ve just spoken to youngest grandson (3) on Facetime. He asked me where my dad was! I said did he mean grandad, and that he was in heaven, where his granny Irene was. He then told me I’ll be able to go soon, as my hair is white now! ?
Nice to have something to look forward to!

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:03:26

I'm sorry your freedom is so curtailed both by Macron and the COVID all affected gransnetters - mind you I feel for the lorry drivers probably spending Xmas in their lorry cabs Macron have a heart for Xmas!!

Love the jokes, have had a much needed chuckle.

My contribution
Chocolate comes from cocoa
which is a tree
That makes it a plant
So chocolate is salad!!

Enjoy!!

Feelingmyage55 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:00:38

Good morning all. I should have posted before reading. Thank you for the flowers and jokes. Dark, grey and icy here. I’m off to clean, having just sent lots of emails as I didn’t have time to write inside the cards. Don’t be too busy.

Sar53 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:44:55

Ellen that made me laugh out loud, love it grin

Oldbutstilluseful Wed 23-Dec-20 11:16:20

Good morning from a very wet N Hants. My daughter and I played hunt the chipolatas on Monday and yesterday in different shops. Clever girl, she managed to get some eventually. Ridiculous isn’t it how the little things can grab hold and become important even if unnecessary.

I’m not clever enough to post links, but there is a marvellous lady in Glasgow who photographs miniatures of food ‘from her fridge’. It’s on the BBC website and well worth a look.

Very sorry indeed that some of you will have health worries over Christmas. Really hope the New Year brings good news for you and all of us.

Look after yourselves ???

Mapleleaf Wed 23-Dec-20 11:15:12

Good morning to you all,

I've only read micks post so far as there are a lot to get through and I've been busy baking, but wanted to post before mid day. I will get back to reading them all once I've posted.

Sorry to read that you are feeling unwell again, mick. Lots of crowds are unsettling at this time so will gave made you anxious. However, it's the other things you are mentioning that are concerning, that is, weight loss and headaches. Please ring your surgery for advice. Your body is trying to tell you something, so listen to it. The surgeries are open today and tomorrow. Right lecture over.

It's very miserable here today, with lots of rain, dark sky and cold with it.

Sorry I can't do bold today, my iPad is playing up a bit.

Take care everyone.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:03:48

Good Morning all from a wet and cheerless Harrogate.
Yesterday DH and I took a trip to Pateley Bridge, a very pretty town, and fairly quiet - except where I wanted to go for lunch (The pancake Cafe). all tables taken, did find another very quiet cafe to have a bite of lunch. Then we tottered to England's Oldest Sweet shop and bought sherbet fountains and sherbet dabs (for the family you understand). DH and I sat last night with our Sherbet Fountains thinking of days of old!!
Another blast from the past, DH is watching "The Professionals". Funny thing, I always thought Lewis Collins would be in Everything after. How wrong I was, I thought Martin Shaw was too much of a 'pretty boy'
Lucky you Dwmxwg
Back to reality - Keep safe and well folks

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:03:18

Good morning Mick and all

It’s absolutely lashing down here in my little patch of S E Essex.

There seems to be a few poorly posters today, wish you all a speedy recovery, health issues always seem so much worse in the Festive Season.

I have just sat down with a very large latte and my iPad to catch up with the world. I have changed and remade two beds, one lot of washing has just finished all I need to do now is pick up Turkey and meat from the butchers and prescriptions from the chemist.

Had two FaceTime calls from the 5 yr old GS, he is a Grandmas boy (obviously I do not encourage this tchwink )

Keep safe and well folks only two sleeps till Santa ??

Borrheid55 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:02:11

Forgot there was butter x2 in the creamy crate as well!

Borrheid55 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:00:29

Morning all from a very wet Ashford Kent!
The traffic has calmed down somewhat around me but that just means someone else has the problem! If you know Dover, you will appreciate how difficult the situation is for the residents. There are lots of narrow streets and hills in the town and at the moment they are covered in parked vehicles. The drivers don’t appear to be adhering to the social distancing rules so if they didn’t have COVID to start with they might well get it!
Had an interesting encounter with the Sainsbury’s delivery. Man at the door says “I have a problem, one of the water bottles is leaking. I’ll refund that for you.”( Later I discovered that one of the bottles in the outer wrapping didn’t have a lid!)
And there’s more —- the cream carton was on its side so the bottom of that crate was awash with double cream - as was lettuce, fruit juice x2 , crab pate, mushroom pate and cucumber. “ I’ll refund that too” So after a wash under the tap, I was £14 better off. Got me wondering how much is refunded due to bad packing of the crates. Usually at the checkout, cream is put into a bag. So intent on saving the planet from plastic, it cost Sainsbury’s £14 on this occasion. Shame my bottle of Rose Cava was in another crate ???
DH last shift tonight and he’s going out earlier than normal. I really thought he might be furloughed again as we are in Tier 4 and he drives to Birmingham every night. Our COVID rate in Ashford last night was 910 per 100000! It was 450 when they cancelled his op two weeks ago.
Hope all have a good day. Marydoll please take care , others can take up the chores! Though Jim does sound a bit worrying. Hope your shopping is ok.

CherryCezzy Wed 23-Dec-20 10:56:22

Good morning everyone from the Gower. It's, you've guessed it, grey out there - and mizzleable.

I'm feeling a little brighter this morning, probably because I slept well ?. Thank you for the well wishes Lins, Nortsat and Susan and from you yesterday Marydoll and Grandmafrench.

I'm pleased you are being "checked over" in the new year Mick. Do I need to add to the sage advice of the many goodmorningers on your lovely thread? We care!

Lovely to hear about the walks, the seeing of loved ones, albeit not the way we would like and the exchanges of presents that took place for many of you yesterday. Little but precious moments ?.

Thank you Ashcombe, and others, for the dubious silly jokes this morning and got the lovely Christmassy photos from many of you.

I had a difficult fight wrapping my WP'S main Christmas present yesterday. Why oh why did I buy him such an awkward present to wrap ?. It's in a box, just not in a regular shaped one! Trust me ?
I had a lovely card from my new neighbour yesterday and a wonderful Christmassy drawn card done by her six year old son. So heartwarming. A few days ago we posted a card, along with a small bag of chocolate coins for her son through her letterbox - as we do for many of our neighbours and children. We've never had such a lovely personal response from the other neighbour's children. It helped bring a bit of festive cheer.

My last but one daily group quiz before Christmas day shortly, no more until Monday so I'd better get a wriggle on or I'll miss the start.

? for all of you going through trials and tribulations at the moment - guess that's most/all goodmorningers one way or another so it's a bunch each for everyone.

Stay safe, stay cosy, be kind to yourselves everyone ❤️

hulahoop Wed 23-Dec-20 10:48:09

cornergran

Morning Mick, morning All from a damp looking corner of Somerset. It is hard seeing people too close together, Mick. Can I suggest you ask for a telephone appointment with a GP. they should be able to point you towards information on managing those panic symptoms which can be very frightening.

Good to hear people are managing safe family contact with all the restrictions. Impressed with our surgery, physio advised a chat with the GP, completed the dreaded on line form late afternoon yesterday and can expect a call this morning. No complaints there. Other than that it’s dust removal and a kitchen clean for me today. Everything is crossed that Mr C will finish the current jigsaw and the table will be - empty!

Take care everyone. Special thoughts for those with heavy hearts, hope we can all find something bright in the day.

I finished my jigsaw yesterday cornergran . Thinking of all those poor drivers stuck in Kent hope majority get home for Christmas .house cleaning for me today last wash in washer ready to tumble it's pouring down here.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 23-Dec-20 10:38:00

?that’s my favourite so far

EllanVannin Wed 23-Dec-20 10:25:36

I'm going to dare describe the joke card that brother sent grin

Picture a Victorian scene---in sepia colour, with mistress laying on her chaise-longe and her suitor standing by.

Suitor says " Darling ! As it's Christmas, why don't we try a different position ?"

To which she says " Great idea ! YOU cook Christmas dinner and I'LL sit on the sofa and fart "

EllanVannin Wed 23-Dec-20 10:18:03

Forgot to mention the lovely pics and flowers to brighten our day, thankyou all.

LauraNorder Wed 23-Dec-20 10:11:15

Got stuck behind a tractor on the A5, some chap on the back shouting ‘we’re all doomed, the end is nigh’. Turns out it was Farmer Geddon.
Hope that gave those in need a chuckle.
Love the knock one Urms

Megs36 Wed 23-Dec-20 10:03:46

Morning all, we too had the text re my husband shielding again and promise of letter to follow, we’d really like a letter inviting us for our vaccinations ? we are both in the ‘vulnerable’ group and unable to go out or meet anyone, getting twitchy!!

gillgran Wed 23-Dec-20 09:48:49

Good Morning to you all from a foggy, (rain forecasted), Cambs.,
Look after yourself Mick, do take the advice of the kind & caring folk on this, your lovely thread.

We had a busy day yesterday, went to East Cambs., to exchange gifts with my DSister, then on over into Norfolk to do the same with my DB, (much quicker this year with outdoor/doorstep exchanges).
Finally took wreathes to the cemetery for my parents grave.
We did it all in just over 3 hours, it would normally take us all day.

Lovely photos, (&jokes!), today, thank you kindly. flowers

Take Care Folks.

EllanVannin Wed 23-Dec-20 09:46:01

Hey Urmston, what's with the blood tests ? Are you falling apart at the seams girl ? I do hope all will be well with you.x

EllanVannin Wed 23-Dec-20 09:44:30

Grandmabatty x flowers

Urmstongran Wed 23-Dec-20 09:40:04

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s dry and seems mild. Just had a text from our local daughter to say her cleaner is coming at 11:30am so wanna meet in the square (downstairs from our apartment)? She said ‘a treat for the children - they can have a beige meal from Gregg’s!’. She’s a good cook but bet the children will really enjoy a warm sausage roll!

Doctor appointment went well yesterday. I’m to have a battery of blood tests next week as I developed new symptoms over the weekend. I admit to being anxious and disappeared down a rabbit hole last night but this morning my mantra is ‘everything is going to be alright’. It calms me.

Yesterday in the park my 8y old grandson told me his Christmas joke ...

Knock, knock!
Who’s there?
Santa.
Santa who?
Santa Christmas card to you. Did you get it?
?

I think children of his age adore ‘knock, knock’ jokes the best!

I love the face on that salamander Vividian’ (had to look up what an ax..thingy was!). *Taichinan I really like your chair. Is it a papasan? I’d love one - plenty of room to fit my bum with my legs curled on it too!

Hope Wednesday is kind to us all. Keep safe everyone, especially you Mick, that’s the main thing. x

GrannyOwl5 Wed 23-Dec-20 09:38:18

Good morning everyone from north Kent which is slowly grinding to a halt under thousands of lorries and tier 4 restrictions. It is grey and dismal again so I have put on all the Christmas lights inside and out to cheer us up.

My annual trip out in the car yesterday went well; everything well organised and everyone cheery and helpful. We are now well provisioned ready for all eventualities!

A day of rearranging the dust and general tidy up. A couple of presents left to wrap and ready to go off tomorrow when DD and DS will pay fleeting visits to the drive!

I do enjoy reading about all your plans and activities, but love reading EllanVannin’s posts; parts make me laugh out loud. Enjoy your crumpets!

Hope you all have a good day and those with worries, illness or toothache see improvements. Stay safe

benjamina Wed 23-Dec-20 09:33:49

Good morning from a wild and wet Bolton. Horrible day and the forecast seems to be saying its in for the day.

Click and collect from Tesco this morning - like marydoll I wont be happy till I see it being brought through the door, I added a few things last night to my order too (bottle of sevilla orange gin) was one item - my treat to me!

I am happy you have contacted your doctors mick - if the episodes happen while you are out and about in these scary times it could well be panic attacks (especially if you don't suffer when back in the safety of your home), But that's only a thought and as everyone says "get a check up" - A lot of people care about you.

I went out to M and S yesterday - it was well organised with the queues to get in but there were more than usual in the store shopping and it does raise anxiety levels.

Lovely to read this thread and peep into everyone's lives - Think I am just very slow at posting - probably 30 more posts since I started mine! I am slow fathoming out how to highlight names etc - if I ever have to post a photo on here I think I will need major help!!

Thanks for the welcomes yesterday smile

Gelisajams Wed 23-Dec-20 09:21:01

Good morning from a very wet Morecambe Bay. No surprises there!
I ordered some orchids to be delivered to my two DiL’s. One was delivered promptly and arrived as it should on Friday last week but the other got “stuck” at the FedEx depot in Warrington. It’s supposed to be out for delivery today. I’m worried the plants have been bashed about too much. The orchids come from a fantastic firm who package them so well but they are not supposed to have to hang around for a week.
Everything is now done and delivered for Christmas so it’s just time to clean the house. We are spending Christmas Day with a widowed friend who has kept herself pretty much in isolation, but like most we won’t get to see family.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 23-Dec-20 09:18:02

Good Morning Mick and everyone on a wet and dreary day (again) in Oxfordshire. Although as I say that it is looking brighter, but still pouring.
Pleased that you have a Dr appointment Mick, can’t be too careful these days, it isn’t just Covid that’s out there.
We had a lovely Family Quiz last night family from Cornwall, here and in Southampton all took part with questions from Cornwall, with drinks and party hats. Fun and laughter with family , we haven’t seen most of them seen this year so it was lovely, but all feeling the loss of their Grandma.
Just a dog walking and getting stuff out of the freezer ready to start building Christmas food, if I make it any earlier it will be gone by tomorrow.
Pleased to hear everyone’s good news and sorry for those who aren’t feeling so chipper.